Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 03:35 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times

Advertisements

That crazy 3 layer jello.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNratLjYBbE

1969-1996 it was made.

Date bars, you could buy the mix. They were good, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 03:45 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Stuff I loved as a kid that is no more:

Candy bars - Milk Shake and Clark bars
Snacks - Pizza Spins, Daisys and Whistles, Great Shakes milk shakes (I still have the shaker!)
Juice - 5 Alive and Hi-C Citrus Cooler
Campbell's frozen cream of potato soup and clam chowder
Snow's clam chowder (I know it's still available, but it's nowhere near as good as it was 40 years ago)
Loose teas in tins from Hickory Farms
Jell-O 123
Danish Go Rounds

I might not like all of these now, though - tastes change!

Quote:
Remember that "Russian" tea or whatever that was made from Tang, cinnamon, sugar, instant tea, and who knows what else? You could serve it hot or cold. I used to think that was THE COOLEST THING EVER.
Oh, yeah ... A friend who was much more well-traveled than I (her dad was transferred at General Electric more than my dad had been) taught me how to make it. It was the coolest thing ever! LOL

Old 04-07-2021, 04:03 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,013,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Take out and fast food weren't as common back in the 60s for example. Yeah there was pizza and Chinese and A&W Drive-In burgers with glass mugs of root beer. Root beer floats tasted awesome.Speaking of floats. Can you buy them now?

Anyone remember A&W drive-ins? For those who don't know. You'd pull up to their parking lot and turn your headlights on. A server in an A&W uniform would skate up and take your order then you turn off your headlights. The server would come back with a tray of food they would attach to your rolled-down car window. Your date would take you there after the movies.
A&W is still around. They still have roughly 1,000 restaurants worldwide, of which 600 are in the U.S. They even still have some that are old-school drive-ins like you remember, although I don't think any here in Florida are.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:12 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,558,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
For me, It's not only discontinued foods. It's stuff that has changed it's flavor (in some cases, this may be because MY taste buds have changed. Especially my decrwased desire for very sweet things.)

As for discontinued stuff:

Banana Nestlé quick powder.
Black Crows candy
Callard and Bowser's toffee - ALL flavors
Turkish taffy - all flavors except the chocolate

And a newer one i desperately miss: Lay's truffle fries potato chips. (One of the flavors from Lay's contests. I think chicken and waffles flavor was the winner that year. I remain convinced that it was a phony election.)
There's an old-fashioned candy store just north of of Pittsburgh that sells Turkish taffy and other "I thought that they didn't make this/these anymore" candies and gum(s).

Five Alive I've seen as only a frozen concentrate in can at a small local chain of grocery stores and at Meijer's in Ohio, so perhaps its distribution is regional. Five Alive is one of those things that my parents never bought for our house, but my paternal grandparents always had in theirs.

Speaking of foods from my Dad's folks: I always liked having the big shredded wheat biscuits for breakfast when I stayed at their house. Grandma used to put one in a cereal bowl, pour warm milk over it, then let me top it with as much brown crystal sugar as I wanted (Sugar in the Raw, but not that brand). So good!

I know that the large biscuits are still made, but they're really difficult to find as is another childhood favorite of mine: Dannon coffee yogurt. I found that yogurt recently at a local grocery, but the containers have gone from eight ounces in the eighties to six ounces in the aughts until the recent change to five ounces.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 04-07-2021 at 04:27 PM..

Old 04-07-2021, 04:24 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,077,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Yes, meat all tasted better back in the 60's/70's and had better texture.

You just gotta search out the right places. You can still get the good meats, but you're gonna pay more for 'em.

I still get most of the same stuff I got when I was a kid. Exceptions are the recipes I didn't get from my mother before she croaked- macaroni and corn casserole, creamed tunafish on toast, 'lazy day' spaghetti.

One thing- Big Mac...it just doesnt taste the same as it did when I was young. I get one every now and then, but, nope.

I have my great aunt's hand-written cookbook from the late 1800s-early 1900s...one of these days I'm going to start testing out some of the recipes. It's slow going though, trying to separate the pages without them crumbling, and deciphering the writing.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:49 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,312,269 times
Callard Bowser's nougat. Stollwerck bonbons. Planters peanut candy in red tin.
A transparant soft jelly candy angelica? flavor came in dark blue packaging forgot the brand name.
The potato chips that came with salt in a separate wrapper inside the small bag.
Brach's candy with green mint in center, the chocolate bonbons with large cherry inside.
All fresh food had more flavor.
Campbell's cream of celery soup before they changed it.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:07 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
All fresh food had more flavor.
When older people say "everything tasted better when I was young," usually what has changed is their tasting ability. Things don't taste as good because the person physically cannot smell/taste as well. Our sense of sight also diminishes, our sense of hearing diminishes; everything diminishes with age.

It's true that some fruits and vegetables may have changed in flavor due to hybridization or what not, but I don't think it's possible that every single fresh food has lost flavor.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:27 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,411,051 times
Twinkies-they don't taste the same now
Hawaiian punch-don't miss that at all-Yuck!
Candy Whistles
Ring pops
Sunny delight
Fruit leather
those little cooked shrimp with cocktail sauce in the jar I think the brand was Sausea
Spray cheese in the can
Totino's pizza rolls

Old 04-07-2021, 06:36 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
Chuck roast coated with powdered onion soup mix. Mmm.
I could still make it, but I don't eat red meat any more.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:02 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,868,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
For me, It's not only discontinued foods. It's stuff that has changed it's flavor (in some cases, this may be because MY taste buds have changed. Especially my decrwased desire for very sweet things.)

As for discontinued stuff:

Banana Nestlé quick powder.
Black Crows candy
Callard and Bowser's toffee - ALL flavors
Turkish taffy - all flavors except the chocolate

And a newer one i desperately miss: Lay's truffle fries potato chips. (One of the flavors from Lay's contests. I think chicken and waffles flavor was the winner that year. I remain convinced that it was a phony election.)
OMG I was addicted to those chicken and waffle fries!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink