Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 04:18 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times

Advertisements

I would just like to have a recommendation on a chocolate cake mix that tastes truly chocolatey or a macaroni and cheese, off the shelf, that has true cheese flavor.

I dont mind making either from scratch, but I’m not above using a prepared version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 04:50 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I would just like to have a recommendation on a chocolate cake mix that tastes truly chocolatey or a macaroni and cheese, off the shelf, that has true cheese flavor.

I dont mind making either from scratch, but I’m not above using a prepared version.
As for Mac and cheese there is a brand called Ressers they make a decent mac and cheese and it is cheesey.
All you need to do it heat up in the microwave. I find it near the fresh pasta section of my grocery store.
BTW their scalloped potatoes are also good. Ghirardelli Premium Cake Mix, Double Chocolate - 12.75 oz and I believe Walmart sells it.

Old 01-30-2022, 04:57 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times
I can’t speak to the chocolate cake question, but I’ve found the readymade mac ‘n’ cheese at Costco both delicious and inexpensive. It’s a staple in our house.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:29 PM

19,532 posts, read 9,549,956 times
Isn't there a white cheddar version of Mac and cheese, that when prepared comes out more looking like white than yellow?

Old 01-31-2022, 08:59 AM

32,660 posts, read 48,079,532 times
My aunt's best chocolate cake

You need two boxes of mix, one for chocolate cake and one for fudge brownie. Mix the two mixes together and follow the directions on the boxes, except subtract one egg from the total required.

Bake as layer cake and frost with canned chocolate frosting.

This makes a tremendously good cake. If I make one I make chocolate butter cream frosting because I like it better than the canned frosting, but the canned frosting isn't all that bad.

In the past, some people have been confused about using one less egg than is called for. If one mix calls for three eggs and the other calls for two eggs, that is five eggs, subtract one and make the batter with four eggs. For the rest, follow the directions on the box. If one mix calls for 2 cups of water and the other calls for 1/2 cup of water, you use 2 1/2 cups of water, the same as called for in the directions

Old 01-31-2022, 09:02 AM

As for mac and cheese, check the deli counter of your market and maybe they sell a mac and cheese made with real cheese. I've seen it in the deli, although I've never purchased any of it.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:05 AM

Adding this: you could probably add a 1/4- 1/2 cup of cocoa powder to a dry chocolate cake mix and get something really chocolatey. I've never tried doing that since it don't generally use cake mixes, but can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work.

Cocoa is bitter but cake mixes are overloaded with sugar to begin with, so the level of sweetness shouldn't be an issue.

Old 01-31-2022, 11:34 AM

20,678 posts, read 4,441,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

I'm not really a fan of mac & cheese. Mostly because it's hard to find a good one.

But a few months ago I tried Cheetos Mac & Cheese. It was actually pretty good. Not clumpy, or to soupy. It was creamy enough to enjoy the Cheetos cheese flavored macaroni.

https://www.cheetos.com/products/che...se-bold-cheesy

As for baked mac & cheese, the search continues.

Old 01-31-2022, 10:28 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,270,321 times
I have a recipe for a chocolate snack cake. I make it in an 8 x 8 pan, but I have also made it in 2 6 inch round pans and made a tiny layer cake. I have also made cupcakes. They do not dome, they stay kind of flat. But that’s OK. It’s really good, and I think it was a depression recipe.

One and a half cups all purpose flour
One cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa I’ve always used Hershey’s.
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix well in a bowl to combine ingredients. You might note that the cocoa has little tiny lumps in it. That’s OK.

1/3 cup oil
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup water.

Mix well and then add to the dry ingredients, mix till combined. Some lumps are OK. If you add some coffee, like a quarter cup of coffee and 3/4 cup water, it really does enrich the cocoa flavor without making it mocha. I actually have some freeze dried instant coffee on hand to put a teaspoon of it into the mix.

Prepare your pans with flour and grease. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes, and cool for 15 minutes. It’s a moist enough cake you don’t need icing, you can just dust it with a little powdered sugar. Serve it warm.

Although I’ve made an easy quick cream cheese icing where I just combine literally cream cheese and milk and confectioners sugar and a little vanilla and it was amazing. I didn’t even measure.

Now when I made it in the 6 inch pans, I did the grease and flour routine, cooled them for about 10 minutes and flipped them out to cool on a rack. I do believe they cooked for 25 minutes.

What I did with that was I made a chocolate ganache, and I boiled a small bag of frozen raspberries with some sugar and they completely fell apart into like a jam. I split the layers into two, and it was cake raspberries cake ganache cake raspberries cake and then I covered the whole thing with ganache. It was a Valentines cake for my husband. He loved it.

But honestly, the biggest hint is to add instant coffee granules, some people buy espresso powder which is like instant espresso for the same reason. You kind of have to look up how much depending on how big the cake is, but the actually adding the coffee makes the chocolate richer.

It also freezes beautifully. So it’s a great thing to make one, cut it up into servings, freeze it then package it well into Ziploc‘s and there you go l, you’re set for dessert.

Old 02-01-2022, 05:23 AM

5,453 posts, read 4,058,826 times
I wind up with boxes of M&C mix, I just add a lot of shredded Cheddar when it is done, problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink