Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 08:56 AM

187 posts, read 113,480 times

Advertisements

I like Oscar Mayer Center Cut. I’ve tried others when I couldn’t find it, but I always go back to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2021, 09:30 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
When I want the best bacon I go to a Ma and Pa meat market and have them slice me off a couple of pounds of locally grown and smoked fresh.

And it's fun. They like to talk about their product and can often even tell you who raised the hog. Very hands on and personal. Yes, and $9.99 a pound.

The quality of the bacon in grocery stores has been deteriorating for years. It's mystifying how they can manage to pack 12 oz of wafer thin and make it look like a full pound of thick cut!

And what's the magic trick to producing a strip of bacon ribboned with fat that leaves no drippings when fried? That's seriously wrong.

It's on my bucket list in the following year for us to learn how to smoke our own bacon. Here in pork-raising country we can get a good price on a slab of home grown.

The sad truth is that the poor animals have been raised under such gruesome conditions that I have lost hope of ever tasting another truly good piece of pork. It nearly makes eating the meat a matter of conscience.

Now there's a real Debby Downer post and poor way to start a day. But I remember free range meat and how good it was. It's another thing we've lost to industrialization for the masses.

On the brighter side we've begun to eat a much healthier diet than our elders ever did. Who could eat bacon every day in current culture?

Old 12-01-2021, 10:57 AM

4,942 posts, read 3,316,689 times
Many years ago when was able to eat bacon used to be canadian bacon forgot the brand.

Old 12-01-2021, 11:10 AM

3,272 posts, read 1,750,300 times
We just use our store brand of thick sliced bacon and we bake it on a cookie sheet in the oven until it's almost crispy. We also use a seal-a-meal vacuume bagger for freezing bulk purchases. Works well for longer term storage.

Old 12-01-2021, 12:20 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Like most things the higher priced bacons
Are the better ones
Some bacon now is over 10$ !!

For quality at a value , I’d look for the loss leaders
Look at hormel… jimmy dean, Oscar Mayer
Hatfield and wrights

I go with a value brand called sugardale it’s not the best but I like it
And it costs 4$ less than the high priced bacon

If you see the jimmy dean apple smoked
Bacon on sale… buy that !
There’s also a bacon called “burgers” bacon with a very low
Water/moisture content… that’s very good!

Jones and applegate farms has a no sugar bacon that is very good!
Thank you for the breakdown.

Old 12-01-2021, 12:27 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
We covered our turkey with Hatfield bacon (around #6 a pound) and broiled the rest. I can't believe two of us ate a pound of bacon before our our turkey, but it was all good.

Old 12-01-2021, 04:29 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've been buying the same bacon for years (First Street applewood) and loved it and all of a sudden it is no longer available. The replacement brand is truly awful, and I have 5 pounds of it that I don't know what to do with.
You can send it to me! I'm having trouble imaging ANY bacon as "truly awful." Maybe you don't want to eat it by tye slice with your eggs or in a BLT, but when other flavors are involved, it would be fine. Chowder. Jalapeno poppers. Bacon bits for salad. In a quiche.

Old 12-01-2021, 04:42 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Quote:
I've been buying the same bacon for years (First Street applewood) and loved it and all of a sudden it is no longer available. The replacement brand is truly awful, and I have 5 pounds of it that I don't know what to do with.

And so, what brand of bacon is good? I'm looking for lots of flavor, something that fries up well, and if it can be stored in the freezer without going off, that is a huge bonus.

Hoping for recommendations.
You might try making some "Bean and Bacon" soup with the not up to par bacon. Nice way to say inferior.

Old 12-01-2021, 10:11 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
Quote:

And so, what brand of bacon is good? I'm looking for lots of flavor, something that fries up well, and if it can be stored in the freezer without going off, that is a huge bonus.

Hoping for recommendations.
I recommend you fry up what you have, break into very small pieces and use them for puppy training.

Now, as far as a particular brand, I'd probably go with Kirkland. At least CostCo stands behind their Kirkland products.

Unless you have a hunter that goes after Black Russian Boar, everything in stores is going to "pale" in comparison.

Old 12-01-2021, 10:41 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
There’s also a bacon called “burgers” bacon with a very low
Water/moisture content… that’s very good!

I bought a few pounds of the Burger Smokehouse (MO) bacon end pieces at $2/ lb at a dollar store earlier this year. Do realize that this bacon is more "country style" than the other brands. I prefer the very smoked country bacon flavor; many do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink