Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2021, 02:16 PM

845 posts, read 1,349,493 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I thought I'd ask the question here. I love Detroit style pizza. If you didn't know, yes, Detroit has a pizza style! It's one of my favorites to make at home. I also love to make a batch at home and bring to my brother's or another friend's house during the summer.

The big difference...well, there are a few differences in a Detroit style pizza vs other deep-dish pizzas.

First, I'd say the crust is much different. It basically covers the bottom of a deep, cast-iron pan, but it's a thick, airy crust. Also, the cheese becomes the upper layer of crust, becoming crispy, cooking in the pan, due to some layering. For those new to the Detroit style pizzas, the corners are the ultimate best place to start!

The second difference is the order of ingredients, such as the dough or crust, CHEESE (and lots of it); parmesan and Monterey Jack cheese (I like Monterey Jack cheese; or brick cheese from Wisconsin, if you can find it).

Third, only a bit of tomato sauce. With some research, I found the sauce would be a silky tomato sauce, with not much to it. Just some tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, salt and pepper. It was more for looks than flavor; just two simple lines across the square pan.

Fourth, some toppings. Pepperoni, basil, spinach, sausage, or bacon. Not much, but dealers' choice, you can add what you wanted, the pizza can hold its own.

What's your favorite deep-dish pizza?

Have you tried a Detroit style pizza?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2021, 09:38 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Not since the 60's and it was nothing to write home about for me back then. I do like Chicago deep dish but again it is not a head and shoulders above anyone else's for my taste buds. I believe the major difference is the local maker not as much as style.

Old 12-01-2021, 12:32 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Detroit has those square pizza cooked in square pan divided into little squares.

I prefer Deep Dish. I even like Deep Dish better than NYC/NJ style.

Old 12-05-2021, 05:55 AM

8,500 posts, read 4,744,511 times
I would love to try a Detroit style, and no, Little Caesars doesn’t count.

I’ve been in love with Chicago style for many a moon - it is far and away my fav pizza style - but I would definitely welcome a variation on the theme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink