Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:04 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,491 times

Advertisements

Is there any good canned Salmon that tastes good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 11:29 AM

509 posts, read 1,167,981 times
I haven't had any actually good canned salmon yet. I think I have tried two brands. It is edible for sure, just not that good.

It is a remnant of a bygone era before freezers were invented.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:51 AM

290 posts, read 259,238 times
Default tinned or canned salmon

I am not a fan of salmon in general. It is a bit dry for me. But sometimes for a bit of a change I have some tinned or canned salmon.

That Allypink stuff I think is just disgusting. The John West Salmon I don't mind. I like that stuff in the longish trayish cans that has salmon in strips. Sometimes I have the Salmon unadorned from a can. Sometimes I get those light chilli flavours of salmon or the pepper flavours. Some brands such as Greenseas can get the pepper really wrong though IMHO and it blasts my nose out.

What is your favourite tinned or canned salmon? [ I am saying tinned or canned to keep all types of can open, not just your cylinder can or your shoe polish shaped can but I also count long tray tins as cans.]

Old 05-28-2015, 05:07 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I completely dislike canned/tinned salmon.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:49 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Neither - in general, fish needs to be fresh or, at worst, frozen. This is especially true for salmon, with its particularly delicate taste.

One exception: the blend for tuna-salad sandwiches works quite well with tuna from a can. And salmon-salad sandwiches similarly made? They rock, too!

But what brand? I think they're pretty much all the same (and often time, canned goods are made by contract at a facility which slaps a different label on cans depending on which provider is ordering them).

Old 05-28-2015, 06:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
The only thing I used canned salmon for is salmon patties or maybe with creamed cheese on toast once in awhile and I mean rarely. Maybe I will do this once a year, just as a pretend lox and bagels.

OP, if your fresh salmon is a little too dry, you are over cooking it or the restaurant you are eating in overcooks it. A good piece of salmon is one of the best fish one can have and shouldn't be dry at all.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:40 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
I love canned tuna, HATE canned salmon.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:44 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
I don't like salmon so canned/tinned would be worse with that concentrated fishy taste. I am laughing over the tinned/canned as we had a bit of a dustup over those two words recently in the forum and thought this was a continuation of that. (they each have their place!)

Old 05-28-2015, 10:44 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OP, if your fresh salmon is a little too dry, you are over cooking it or the restaurant you are eating in overcooks it. A good piece of salmon is one of the best fish one can have and shouldn't be dry at all.
Yes to this! Salmon is so special among fish because of its beautiful fat content (omegas - the good stuff!), which makes it buttery and delicious. If it's dry, then something is amiss: freezer burn, too old, over-cooked?

If you want to use preserved salmon, go for the smoked. Both hot and cold-smoked salmon, while very different from each other, are delicious and versatile. Go with cold-smoked if you like a delicate, soft texture and more notable fat content (in a good way, like charcuterie). Go with hot-smoked (my favorite) if you like the flakiness and firmer texture, along with a smokier flavor.

If you want to go with canned (can be useful for burger patties or salmon salad, as others mentioned), go with a canned wild Sockeye from Alaska. Redhead is one of the better brands.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:54 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
Yes to this! Salmon is so special among fish because of its beautiful fat content (omegas - the good stuff!), which makes it buttery and delicious. If it's dry, then something is amiss: freezer burn, too old, over-cooked?

If you want to use preserved salmon, go for the smoked. Both hot and cold-smoked salmon, while very different from each other, are delicious and versatile. Go with cold-smoked if you like a delicate, soft texture and more notable fat content (in a good way, like charcuterie). Go with hot-smoked (my favorite) if you like the flakiness and firmer texture, along with a smokier flavor.

If you want to go with canned (can be useful for burger patties or salmon salad, as others mentioned), go with a canned wild Sockeye from Alaska. Redhead is one of the better brands.

Yes but hot smoked is certainly "drier" - so perhaps the OP should start with cold smoked. Good recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink