Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 04:54 PM

5,332 posts, read 8,541,852 times

Advertisements

I always get a bit sad this time of year when the pomegranates are no longer being sold.

In my area (not sure if other parts of US are different), we only get pomegranates during November and December. I make a point to eat several per week each holiday season. I could probably eat an entire one (or at least half) every day if they were available.

I can't explain why I love them so much - for me, the seeds are the perfect combination of sour, sweet, and crunchy. I wish they were for sale all year round. You can buy the juice year round, which is good, but eating the seeds is much more satisfying.

Any other fans such as me? I may be an outlier on this.

Last edited by KittenSparkles; 01-03-2023 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2023, 04:57 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Yum, in salads...most never heard of that.

Old 01-03-2023, 07:35 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Pomegranate fan here! I bought another one tonight. They've been on sale, but I hear ya about the very short season of availability. POM brand has the consistently good ones.

I eat them by the half and refrigerate the other half for the next day. Wearing a full-front black kitchen apron keeps off those intense red juice stains.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Pomegranate fan here! I bought another one tonight. They've been on sale, but I hear ya about the very short season of availability. POM brand has the consistently good ones.

I eat them by the half and refrigerate the other half for the next day. Wearing a full-front black kitchen apron keeps off those intense red juice stains.

Yes I also tie an apron on too while I cut them open. I have it down to a science at this point, but it still takes a bit of work. I put on a good podcast while I do it.

Glad to hear from another fan!! I called a local grocery store tonight and they were out and then I just called a Trader Joe's and they have some!! I have to go get them.

I wish I understood why I crave these so much. Its like an addiction. Maybe I should be happy I can only get them two months a year.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:47 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,379,036 times
If there is a shortage it may be worsened by all the pom juice for sale these days. The juice created more demand and fewer fruits sold individually.

I got a couple this year and

1. It's work to pull them apart and get the seeds. First world problem for sure, but it's a pain.

2. They stain like crazy so I wear a dark blue shirt when cleaning.

3. the price is so high I looked at the results in the bowl and said to myself, I paid that much for this?

And I like pomegranates.

Old 01-04-2023, 08:24 AM

19,435 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
If there is a shortage it may be worsened by all the pom juice for sale these days. The juice created more demand and fewer fruits sold individually.

I got a couple this year and

1. It's work to pull them apart and get the seeds. First world problem for sure, but it's a pain.

2. They stain like crazy so I wear a dark blue shirt when cleaning.

3. the price is so high I looked at the results in the bowl and said to myself, I paid that much for this?

And I like pomegranates.
That's my mindset, too. But the BIGGEST reason I rarely buy them is #1. Just a total PITA. If anyone has a trick, please share. (And yes. I've tried a couple of the youtube suggestions with limited success)

Old 01-04-2023, 08:26 AM

130,155 posts, read 12,088,000 times
I like them but rarely buy them, just too much work to get the seeds out. I do it in a dish of water, so I don't get too messy, but I don't like them enough to do it more than once every few years.

Old 01-04-2023, 10:32 AM

I managed to score four pomegranates last night at Trader Joe's! Funny the woman at the register told me she loves them too and eats them all season long. She told me Costco had been selling boxes of six large poms for $22.

In terms of how to get the seeds out, I went to Youtube and watched a few videos to refine my technique. The reward is worth the work for me.

Also they told me there was a smaller crop this year as well.

Old 01-04-2023, 11:10 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Yes I also tie an apron on too while I cut them open. I have it down to a science at this point, but it still takes a bit of work. I put on a good podcast while I do it.

Glad to hear from another fan!! I called a local grocery store tonight and they were out and then I just called a Trader Joe's and they have some!! I have to go get them.

I wish I understood why I crave these so much. Its like an addiction. Maybe I should be happy I can only get them two months a year.
I doubt it is a true addiction.. But your body is craving something, and I know that feeling. There are times when just eyeing or thinking of certain fresh raw foods makes me suddenly realize I need something they provide, and not just the taste. I’ve had this happen with pomegranate, tangerine, fish, beef, and dark leafy greens. Vitamins, minerals, antioxidants...whatever it is, eating some of the craved item satisfies the need. I don’t have to eat a lot of them.

The body telling me that I’m low on some nutrients isn’t the same as an addiction.

Old 01-04-2023, 11:35 AM

I agree its not an addiction. That was tongue in cheek.. Its very much just an intense craving, and I never tire of them. Its the sour/sweet/crunch combo that does it. Very satisfying as an evening snack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink