Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 06:38 PM

764 posts, read 508,914 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I love garlic!

"Don’t you have a fan over your stove?", I do, fans on while cooking.

"put a bowl of white vinegar on the counter", I do that when the fridge smell weird. Sometimes, I simmer some cinnamon to balance out the smell.

Old 01-16-2023, 07:05 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
We have never opened windows to cook unless we burn something and create more smoke than the fan can handle.

Try to avoid doing that, and you'll be fine.

Old 01-16-2023, 07:41 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw1984 View Post
You don't want to eat out too often, thus, you would have to cook.

Now, winter time, heat is on, keep windows open while cooking and/or after cooking would result in too much electricity consumption -- hate waste.

Turn heat off for a few hours and then turn it back on, not sure if it would consume similar amount of electricity as always leaving heat on. So, this does not seems a viable option.

Preparing cold meal like sandwich, fine for lunch but not good eating cold food all day long.

Warm food without flavor? Man, what sort of food is that? Unimaginable. Feeding pigs? LoL

So, here you see, cooking delicious food with flavor during this time of the year poses the challenge of leaving the home/house smell like a restaurant, and no, I don't want that.

Thus, the IMPOSSIBLE problem!

solution?
Troll posts deserve answers with the same mindset of being mindlessly difficult and obtuse.

Move to Ecuador. IMPOSSIBLE problem SOLVED!!! The solution was so simple that it was staring you in the face!

Old 01-16-2023, 08:31 PM

764 posts, read 508,914 times
"Move to Ecuador." LoL!

Old 01-17-2023, 01:55 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
slow cooker in a hay box.

Old 01-17-2023, 02:33 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:

Now, winter time, heat is on, keep windows open while cooking and/or after cooking would result in too much electricity consumption -- hate waste.

Turn heat off for a few hours and then turn it back on, not sure if it would consume similar amount of electricity as always leaving heat on. So, this does not seems a viable option.

Preparing cold meal like sandwich, fine for lunch but not good eating cold food all day long.

Warm food without flavor? Man, what sort of food is that? Unimaginable. Feeding pigs? LoL

So, here you see, cooking delicious food with flavor during this time of the year poses the challenge of leaving the home/house smell like a restaurant, and no, I don't want that.

solution?
Not impossible at all.

Cook in pots with a lid on. Bake using oven. Crack your window open. Turn the vent above your stove on.
Invest in air purifier. This highly rated model is 30% off right now:
https://www.amazon.com/AROEVE-Purifi...ref=mp_s_a_1_8

I have closed floor plan in my house. No problem with cooking scents when I close the kitchen door, use the vent and crack open window.

Old 01-17-2023, 05:49 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:

solution?
Solution? Spices.

A thing or two. Growing up, I read this Nat'l Geo article about North Atlantic cod fishermen and on the mother ship, the cook served cod for every meal. The thing was that with different spices and sauces, he made each meal seem different. Secondly,......

I am currently having breakfast, the bean/chicken stew made for the week, over the corn bread made for the week, nuked in the microwave in a big measuring cup, topped with Parmesan cheese. Very delicious, very filling for breakfast.

Old 01-17-2023, 06:25 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times
Are you complaining that your house smells like freshly cooked dinner when you've just cooked dinner?

Of all the weird things to complain about!

Have you tried to get the bakery down the street shut down, too? "Every morning the neighborhood smells like fresh-baked bread! I can't stand it!"

Old 01-17-2023, 08:17 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Are you complaining that your house smells like freshly cooked dinner when you've just cooked dinner?

Of all the weird things to complain about!

Have you tried to get the bakery down the street shut down, too? "Every morning the neighborhood smells like fresh-baked bread! I can't stand it!"
Exactly my thoughts. I love walking into the kitchen when my husband is cooking and it smells delicious. Scent actually enhances meals for me.

Our windows are never opened when cooking; and our house smells perfectly fine.

Old 01-17-2023, 09:16 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Yeah, I love garlic!

"Don’t you have a fan over your stove?", I do, fans on while cooking.

"put a bowl of white vinegar on the counter", I do that when the fridge smell weird. Sometimes, I simmer some cinnamon to balance out the smell.
Still not sure why you need the windows open. I love garlic too, so I try to close the windows and trap the wonderful aroma in my house (Near Raleigh, NC, so similar climate to you).

If energy savings is your concern:

use the oven in the winter, capture that heat
use the toaster oven in the summer, don't heat up the house so much
Windows open in spring and fall because "great weather and fresh air"

That would be (and has been) my solution to this "impossible" problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink