Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2023, 12:24 PM

8,536 posts, read 4,773,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
I just thought it was interesting that kids brought up out West would even know about key lime pie, which I think of as Southern and Eastern.

And they make it themselves meaning access to key lime juice in western grocery stores.

DIL said they have a Trader Joe's near them, possibly they stock key lime juice in bottles.
Don’t know about key lime juice, but we have always been pretty well stocked at grocery stores out west, much more so than down south or in the east. And I’m not talking about anything fancy - just regular stores.l, like Lucky and Nob Hill where we used to shop. Can’t speak to Trader Joe’s as I e never been to one (for that matter, I don’t recall ever seeing one?)

Key lime has always been kind of part of the standard repertoire of pies, as far as I know. Apple, cherry, key lime, and maybe one more berry pie. So yeah it’s popular and well known throughout the US, but I do t think Apple pie’s position is in any way endagered.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2023, 12:34 PM

10,918 posts, read 7,427,734 times
I've always thought lemon chiffon was more popular/common than key lime.
Or even chocolate or banana cream pie. Maybe because I never lived near Florida.

Old 07-04-2023, 12:54 PM

23,587 posts, read 24,114,904 times
Apple pie was my favorite dessert growing up as a child & as a teenager. I still enjoy it (in small portions) today as an afternoon snack or for dessert.

I believe I first had a slice of key lime pie, while in Tampa Florida in the mid-90’s, on a trip there. I enjoyed it. I don’t recall seeing key lime pies here in California, until approximately around the late ‘90’s in my grocery store freezer. Both Sara Lee and Marie Calendars have them.

I love both apple and key lime pie. Can’t go wrong with either.

Old 07-04-2023, 01:58 PM

4,656 posts, read 3,025,738 times
No objections to apple or key lime... but pumpkin pie has always been my fave.

Old 07-04-2023, 02:37 PM

12,549 posts, read 9,633,770 times
Wild blueberry, blueberry/strawberry/blackberry, strawberry rhubarb, pecan, cherry, and peach pies are some of my favorites.

But I also love apple, key lime, pumpkin, sweet potato, banana creme, chocolate creme, and coconut cream pies...

...and some less common variants like peach/blueberry, apple/pear, chocolate pecan, bourbon pecan, chocolate walnut...

Wait, is there anything that is palatable to start with, and that ISN'T tasty when it's flanked by a yummy pie crust? That would be the shorter list .

P.S. my sentimental favorite pie is chocolate mousse pie with almonds that my Mom would make for my birthday when I was a boy - kind of like a torte, with numerous alternating layers of pie crust and mousse and then topped with more mousse, almonds and powdered sugar. It was insanely rich and insanely good :-) Only my Mom would go through the work to make that extravagant thing.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 07-04-2023 at 02:57 PM..

Old 07-04-2023, 02:50 PM

6,385 posts, read 4,844,562 times
Walmart carries Nellie & Joe's Key Lime Juice in many stores (even Hawaii).

Costco also makes key lime pies, seasonally, and have them now. I think they need to double the amount of lime juice they use though. Their K.L. pies are somewhat bland.

Old 07-04-2023, 03:00 PM

7,148 posts, read 12,692,405 times
I like KLP ok...but not too much of it. It's pretty tart.

Give me a fresh peach or berry pie--and yes, apple pie is wonderful, too...pumpkin pie in the Fall.

Or...another Southern favorite: Lemon Chess Pie. It's a more gentle flavor.

Old 07-04-2023, 03:08 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,672,416 times
We love tartness and don't like too-sweet desserts like apple pie. Never was a fan of it.

Limes are cheap here (not key limes but local) so I juice them in an electric citrus juicer and make "key" lime custard---skipping the crust. I use coconut milk instead of condensed milk which works really well. We use far less sugar too. I recall limes being as much as $1 each in the U.S. and here you get a kilo for that. No Vit. C deficiency here.

My sister in SoCal grows boysenberries and this is pie season for her. I'm so jealous. Never there at the right time. I miss Marie Callender's too.

Old 07-04-2023, 03:15 PM

8,078 posts, read 4,756,354 times
Y'all can argue Apple versus Key Lime Pies all you want. I'll be over here in the corner with my pecan pie and a really big fork.

Old 07-04-2023, 03:43 PM

2,984 posts, read 1,660,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Wild blueberry, blueberry/strawberry/blackberry, strawberry rhubarb, pecan, cherry, and peach pies are some of my favorites.

But I also love apple, key lime, pumpkin, sweet potato, banana creme, chocolate creme, and coconut cream pies...

...and some less common variants like peach/blueberry, apple/pear, chocolate pecan, bourbon pecan, chocolate walnut...

Wait, is there anything that is palatable to start with, and that ISN'T tasty when it's flanked by a yummy pie crust? That would be the shorter list .

P.S. my sentimental favorite pie is chocolate mousse pie with almonds that my Mom would make for my birthday when I was a boy - kind of like a torte, with numerous alternating layers of pie crust and mousse and then topped with more mousse, almonds and powdered sugar. It was insanely rich and insanely good :-) Only my Mom would go through the work to make that extravagant thing.
Ooo that does sound good.

There's just no bad pie, I prefer it to cake, and I love a good cake.

The last time I had apple pie I made it myself and that was a few years ago. It came out delicious with fresh apples we had picked.

I don't normally buy commercially made apple pie bc it usually has too much cinnamon or too much sugar. I like a slightly tart apple pie.

We have many restaurants in our area, one bills itself Italian-American-Greek, we've been going there for over twenty years, never had a bad meal. The menu has key lime pie but not apple.

Then there's a steak house, Ruth's Chris, they also have key lime.

Our local BBQ joint has key lime, no apple.

It might be that key lime keeps better than apple, being a refrigerator pie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink