Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 03:50 PM

5,459 posts, read 8,176,344 times

Advertisements

Do we actually know that apple pie is America's favorite? What about cherry, pecan, and others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2023, 04:07 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Well, there is that saying, "As American as Apple Pie."

But maybe that's changing?

Food tastes do evolve.

After all, a few years back, chicken wings were not considered a desirable food!

Old 07-04-2023, 04:08 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Not really a fan of Key Lime, and until recent years here in the Midwest it was pretty much unknown.

The best pie I ever had was a black raspberry pie made from fresh handpicked berries. Apple pies are so variable, it's hard to judge them overall. Personally I prefer apple cobbler over pie.

Old 07-04-2023, 04:53 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
I love both, depending if i want a citrus or regular fruit. They make a really delicious apple pie at our local grocery. the crust has sanded sugar on top and its crispy but flaky, i love that apple pie. some restaurants have key lime pie and some are denser than others.. so it depends on my mood.. im going to have to order an edwards pie though.

Old 07-05-2023, 05:48 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
Ooo that does sound good.

There's just no bad pie, I prefer it to cake, and I love a good cake.

The last time I had apple pie I made it myself and that was a few years ago. It came out delicious with fresh apples we had picked.

I don't normally buy commercially made apple pie bc it usually has too much cinnamon or too much sugar. I like a slightly tart apple pie.

We have many restaurants in our area, one bills itself Italian-American-Greek, we've been going there for over twenty years, never had a bad meal. The menu has key lime pie but not apple.

Then there's a steak house, Ruth's Chris, they also have key lime.

Our local BBQ joint has key lime, no apple.

It might be that key lime keeps better than apple, being a refrigerator pie.

Really? Get one from the bakery at your large grocery store, eat it at room temperature, and get back to us. All the ones I have had from that department have soggy, wet, undercooked bottom crusts and overly goopy fillings. Sometimes the filling is moldy by the time you get it home, seen that too.

Old 07-05-2023, 06:02 AM

2,967 posts, read 1,642,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Really? Get one from the bakery at your large grocery store, eat it at room temperature, and get back to us. All the ones I have had from that department have soggy, wet, undercooked bottom crusts and overly goopy fillings. Sometimes the filling is moldy by the time you get it home, seen that too.
There are no bad types of pie, lol.

Not that preparation can't be poorly done.

I've had lots of pies from the bakery section of grocery stores, can't remember any bad ones.

If I found mold in the filling though I would return the product to the store for a refund.

Old 07-05-2023, 10:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,565 posts, read 81,147,605 times
No, not a chance. Maybe in a few places where Key Limes are popular, but not nationwide. I have actually never seen a Key Lime pie for sale at any stores other than one dedicated pie shop that has about 50 varieties, in nearby Enumclaw, WA. Those available on a regular basis at the supermarkets are Apple, Blackberry or Marionberry, Cherry, Pumpkin, Lemon Meringue and sometimes peach or Strawberry Rhubarb. In the fall, maybe even Pecan pie.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Pie-God...2768427098645/

Old 07-05-2023, 12:13 PM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Key lime pie (which is rarely made with real key limes) is a nice novelty custard.
Maybe 40 years ago but people are pretty well-educated between real/fake in this instance. Genuine Key Lime Pie is yellow, not green...and can't say I have found a green version in decades.

Apple Pie's popularity has definitely waned in my opinion, as have pies in general. Cupcakes and Cookies have emerged as the more popular options at home it seems with chain boutique shops offering both sprouting up all over the country. Restaurants have primarily turned to commercial bakers in many instances to fill dessert menus and basic pies/cakes are usually left off. Higher end restaurants have pastry chef producing more exotic options. The random diners/independent home cookin' type of places will always have the basic pies of course.

Old 07-05-2023, 12:37 PM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
I love KLP and lemon meringue. Citrus and so refreshing in the summer!!!
I only ever eat apple pie from one of the grandma's tables at our fall fairs and festivals (apple season). Those are yummy. It's all in the crust.

Old 07-05-2023, 02:04 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
So tiresome today to turn on the computer and see all these references to Key lime pie everywhere. I sometimes feel like my interests in eating are in a secret file somewhere. Which they are. Ugh.

I pride myself on my crust but it took years of experimenting to get it just right and I take forever to make a pie because it must be so tender/flaky it just barely holds together to roll out.

I've found no way to do the quick roll out without losing quality. So, no humble bragging here but real bragging - my cousins used to say my pies tasted like candy and the crust like cookies.

But I've had plenty of pies, especially the frozen ones, with crust like cardboard. I've also had the misfortune to serve pies to the twice deceived who trim it all off without tasting first. It wounds me to the core. LOL. Gets to be a lot of self in all that love baking.

So when Outdoor Lover talks about his mom's chocolate pie for his birthday I relate. I think we call that chocolate silk pie and it's true that it takes time and patience. A lot of good butter, equally good chocolate and then beating those eggs in one at a time until you have a slice of cloudlike heaven. An act of birthday love. Lucky you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink