Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 04:10 AM

4,849 posts, read 2,665,246 times

Advertisements

Blue Bell ice cream (still a real half gallon) is the best of all...sold in the southern half of the US in 23 states..I've tried them all..Blue Bell, not Blue Bunny..

Old 07-12-2023, 05:13 AM

19,499 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I have to have ice cream because it's the only thing (even better than medication) that calms GERD. I used to love, love A&P's French Vanilla, but any dairy product from A&P was excellent, including their cottage cheese. I used to like Blue Bunny. When other ice-cream manufacturers shrank the size of their box, Blue Bunny still had half gallon containers. Sadly, they too have diminished their size and most of their flavors changed from "genuine ice-cream" to frozen dairy dessert. In fact, if you look on the box, more and more of the supermarket ice-cream has become "frozen dairy dessert." Turkey Hill is o.k. and I will buy it when it's on sale. We've got all of the premium brands and stuff, but it's too expensive and I go through a lot of ice cream all year long. We also have Friendly's ice cream here. I know that's regional. Anyway, I will not buy anything marked "frozen dairy dessert." It sounds so gross. Do you remember when Breyers claimed in it's advertising that it was all natural and they had actors read the label in the commercials? Whatever happened to that

I remember a commercial like that but it was a couple of young kids.
Was it like only 3 or 4 ingredients like milk, sugar, eggs?

Turkey Hill has definitely branched out from NE Pa. We used to live up that way. Yes, I do enjoy TH and am so glad I can still get it even in WV.

Tillamook - I’ve seen it in some of my local stores too.
Jack’s - is it? Seen it but haven’t thought to try it yet.

Blue Bell or Blue Bunny - I get those two mixed up. We Dec have one of those here in WV but I forget which one. We may be going to do some grocery shopping today, I’ll have to remember to look.

There’s a YouTuber reviewing latest ice cream makers, JustADad? I think there’s 3 new-est versions of makers.
I wish I had another pantry area in my kitchen.

Last edited by cat1116; 07-12-2023 at 05:27 AM..

Old 07-12-2023, 09:44 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
This thread would be ripe fodder for a recent discussion on reading comprehension. The number of people posting about their favorite national brands, either thinking that was what OP asked for or simply not giving a damn about the actual topic at hand because their oh-so-valuable opinion just needs to be shared with the world, is dumbfounding. OP has asked about store-brand ice cream. Not H-D, not Breyer's, Edy's or whatever. I'm sure they're more than aware that those exist; you're not breaking new ground here.

Thrifty's ice cream has been and remains excellent. I believe Rite Aids exist in Arizona, so maybe give that a try, OP.

Old 07-12-2023, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
She'll have to clarify, but I understood the OP to be asking about brands sold in stores rather than referrals to ice cream shops, like Baskin Robbins, Bailey's, the many in Times Sq or local dairies who sell ice cream on weekends, etc.
No, (s)he wasn't asking about "brands sold in stores". "Store brand" is a very specific term. (S)he doesn't have to clarify anything. The ask was as clear as it could have been.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Hard to rec. an ice cream store brand in Arizona when I live in NC.
Not recommending anything is an option. Just throwing this, admittedly wild, concept out there.

Old 07-12-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I just learned the same with Trader Joe's & Aldi's. Don't know if they're owned by the same company, although it's easy to Google, but apparently, Aldi's carries the same products, but in different packaging for a lower price. The person who wrote about it said, in particular, produce.
Aldi and TJ's used to be owned by the same family. Aldi stores in Germany occasionally carry TJ's-branded products. Pretty sure both stores use the same suppliers for their private label brands.

Old 07-12-2023, 11:17 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
For store brands, I like Publix. Price has been escalating, but then again, what hasn't seen a price increase?

If you read the Breyer's label, you will see that very few of their "ice creams" are actually ice cream. Many of them are "frozen dairy dessert."

Frozen Dairy Dessert: https://www.breyers.com/us/en/produc...y-vanilla.html

Ice Cream: https://www.breyers.com/us/en/produc...l-vanilla.html

Frozen Dairy Dessert: https://www.breyers.com/us/en/produc...ie-batter.html

Ice Cream: https://www.breyers.com/us/en/produc...chocolate.html

Old 07-12-2023, 12:56 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
This thread would be ripe fodder for a recent discussion on reading comprehension. ...........

Also, apparently it is ripe fodder for people with extreme control issues who get triggered when everyone doesn't do exactly as they expect they should be doing.

It would be difficult and frustrating to take total control of everything that is said about ice cream. Conversations tend to wander, and ice cream is hardly any sort of important topic. It is merely chitchat.

So, OK, you tell us what your favorite store brand of ice cream is and the rest of us will veer off topic and start to discuss why people with control issues never realize that they have control issues.

Old 07-12-2023, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
So, OK, you tell us what your favorite store brand of ice cream is
I already did.
Quote:
and the rest of us will veer off topic and start to discuss why people with control issues never realize that they have control issues.
Have fun with that. What you call "control issues" I call "basic respect".

Old 07-12-2023, 02:06 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
We don’t eat much ice cream but we usually had Kroger brand vanilla in the freezer to serve as a side with pies and desserts, or an occasional cone. For years their ice cream was reasonably good and sold at a fair price. That all changed when we bought a carton last month and discovered a completely different product inside. I guess it shouldn’t be a surprise because the price and quantity were the same, so they obviously lowered the quality of the ingredients.

We’ve tried the Safeway (Lucerne) and Walmart store brands and found them equally awful. Are there any other store brands of ice cream worth trying?
Maybe it was just a bad batch or a temporary substitution in ingredients or method of processing? Have you tried their Private Selection brand?

Old 07-12-2023, 02:09 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Re: someone’s comment that Haagen Dasz is not a store brand.

We don’t have a Wegmans or Costco close enough to get them without turning to a liquid mess. I don’t so much eat ice cream in the winter.. I can’t recall when I last had a specific store brand. If I’ve been disappointed by lack in flavor, I usually stay away from them.
The thread question was about store brands. If that's not relevant to someone there is no need for them to reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink