Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2023, 09:06 AM

5,144 posts, read 3,076,394 times

Advertisements

We don’t eat much ice cream but we usually had Kroger brand vanilla in the freezer to serve as a side with pies and desserts, or an occasional cone. For years their ice cream was reasonably good and sold at a fair price. That all changed when we bought a carton last month and discovered a completely different product inside. I guess it shouldn’t be a surprise because the price and quantity were the same, so they obviously lowered the quality of the ingredients.

We’ve tried the Safeway (Lucerne) and Walmart store brands and found them equally awful. Are there any other store brands of ice cream worth trying?

Old 07-10-2023, 09:35 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
I only buy Haagen Daazs when it is on sale.

Old 07-10-2023, 09:59 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Wegmans has a number of ice creams that I like, but that's not particularly helpful for someone in AZ.

Old 07-10-2023, 10:31 AM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Trader Joe's. Not the biggest selection of flavors, but it's good. I switched from Haagen Dazs, and Ben & Jerry's for it. Price is good, too.

Old 07-10-2023, 11:13 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
I love Blue Bunny ice cream and their products (ice cream bars, ice cream sundaes).. these taste really good, the texture is like soft serve. The ice cream sundaes taste like those you get from the ice cream truck. The ice cream bars have chunks of chocolate and other things in it and it adds a real nice texture and taste.

I also got some Hagaan daaz ice cream cones and the chocolate is delicious!

Old 07-10-2023, 11:15 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,233,524 times
Publix is wonderful. Its the only brand Ill buy.

Old 07-10-2023, 11:30 AM

5,144 posts, read 3,076,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Trader Joe's. Not the biggest selection of flavors, but it's good. I switched from Haagen Dazs, and Ben & Jerry's for it. Price is good, too.
Thanks, we’ll give TJ’s vanilla a try.

Old 07-10-2023, 11:37 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I'm still buying Tillamook, but first they reduced the percentage of cream, then they made the cartons smaller. Then they raised the price. Next they started fluffing the ice cream up with air. And now they are reducing the quality and amount of the added goodies. And raised the price again.

I'm still buying it occasionally, because I haven't found anything better. All the ice cream seems to have had the same changes.

I just had a little carton of Safeway Select French Vanilla, and that was pretty good. Their double chocolate moose tracks is decent, although it tastes a bit of cocoa powder which means at least it tastes like there is chocolate in there.. The mocha chip tases good. I like coffee ice cream, and theirs has good coffee flavor, but it is icy textured. The good creamy coffee ice creams have gotten so light in flavor that I can no longer taste coffee. A really big pass on their lemon cheese cake flavor. It's yucky. (They had a good sale and I had company coming, so I bought several cartons and tried different flavors.)

Old 07-10-2023, 11:44 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
For awhile here, Costco had a marvelous vanilla ice cream, quite high priced, but worth the money. But they replaced it with their own Kirkland brand, same size carton, same price, not nearly the same ice cream, so I don't buy that any longer.

I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the company that made the ice cream. It contained lots of high quality cream and genuine vanilla, not imitation vanillas extract. They were locate in California on the coast somewhere and they are probably still there making ice cream.

Google says it was Humboldt Creamery.

Old 07-10-2023, 02:07 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm still buying Tillamook, but first they reduced the percentage of cream, then they made the cartons smaller. Then they raised the price. Next they started fluffing the ice cream up with air. And now they are reducing the quality and amount of the added goodies. And raised the price again.

I'm still buying it occasionally, because I haven't found anything better. All the ice cream seems to have had the same changes.

I just had a little carton of Safeway Select French Vanilla, and that was pretty good. Their double chocolate moose tracks is decent, although it tastes a bit of cocoa powder which means at least it tastes like there is chocolate in there.. The mocha chip tases good. I like coffee ice cream, and theirs has good coffee flavor, but it is icy textured. The good creamy coffee ice creams have gotten so light in flavor that I can no longer taste coffee. A really big pass on their lemon cheese cake flavor. It's yucky. (They had a good sale and I had company coming, so I bought several cartons and tried different flavors.)
We just found Tillamook within the last 6 months. It is light years better than any of the other mainstream grocery brands (Breyers/Edy's/Turkey Hill). If you are saying this is the "watered-down" version of it, then I can only imagine what it used to taste like.

Lidl Chocolate was a staple in the house during the pandemic. Of course, only available at Lidl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.