Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 09:25 AM

23,527 posts, read 24,006,421 times

Advertisements

I enjoy Sriracha on certain Asian foods a lot. Lately, just getting by with Tabasco or Crystal Extra Hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2023, 11:07 AM

4,527 posts, read 2,664,836 times
Tabasco, Cholula, Trappey's Red Devil.

Old 07-17-2023, 12:48 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,655,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
1. It’s exceedingly popular and;
2. They were beholden to one pepper supplier for 30 years- Underwood farms, and there was a $23M lawsuit that Underwood won. Their relationship severed and Huy Fong didn’t have a diversified supply chain. Underwood Farms had 4,000 acres of red jalapeños devoted for Huy Fong.

You can read the details but there was some fraud involved, oral agreements gone twisted. It’s a shame.

So now Huy Fong is scrambling to secure suppliers.

Interesting. I had heard a while back that they use a very particular type of pepper and that there were several growing seasons with very poor conditions that resulted in very few of these peppers being available.

Sounds like maybe it really was due to poor lawyer conditions.

Old 07-17-2023, 03:10 PM

612 posts, read 1,513,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I'm going to try my hand at making my own. Huy Fong is one of the ones that doesn't have a ton of sodium (which is why I buy that brand specifically), so replacing it with something else is unlikely to happen. If I make it myself, I control the sodium level.
Do you have the recipe? Are you planning to make using red jalapeno pepper or using red serrano peppers?

Old 07-17-2023, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I’m not a huge fan of the Huy Fuong Sriracha sauce, but ironically I literally just read an article on NBC news about the whole shortage and the price gouging. I went to Amazon to see what some people are charging and almost lost my lunch.

Kept scrolling down and Yellowbird Sriracha received rave reviews, a lot comparing it to or saying it’s better than the green cap original. I love Yellowbirds original yellow Habanero condiment. In fact I bought a gallon of it last year. They make a good product. You may want to try it.
Even if the big bottle was around $10 instead of $3, I would have bought it. But online I am seeing sellers selling it for $50-$60. I even saw one seller selling it for $100.

Old 07-17-2023, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Tabasco, Cholula, Trappey's Red Devil.
Tabasco and Cholula doesn't taste same as Sriracha... Have't tried Red Devil yet.

Old 07-17-2023, 03:18 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
No substitute. We have tried a couple of other brands, but they just aren't the same. Sky Valley, made locally here in Idaho, has good flavor, but different. We are using it for things to drip hot sauce onto, but it doesn't work well in my recipes that call for Rooster Sauce.

The chili garlic sauce works as a substitute, but that is also unavailable.

I bought some Go****ang, but all that adds is hot. It doesn't have much actual flavor.

I looked into making it at home, but fermented sauce is beyond my skill set or risk level. I'll have red jalapenos to make chipotle with, but I'm not going to try fermenting.

Old 07-17-2023, 03:34 PM

6,454 posts, read 3,973,217 times
Quote:
I've wanted to make my own, but part of the process involves fermenting the pepper mash. I have crocks, and we ferment our own sauerkraut and pickles, but I'm not sure my wife could stand the odor of peppers fermenting. It's really strong and permeates the house. It's not unlike kimchee and growing up we had Korean neighbors that made A LOT of it. Buried pots in the yard, crocks in the basement. Their entire yard and house smelled of spicy kimchee. Not that that's bad, but if you don't like the odor of spicy things-ouch.
Hm. The recipes I found didn't call for fermentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
No. The closest is going to be Huy Fong chili garlic sauce.
...which is also in a shortage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
Do you have the recipe? Are you planning to make using red jalapeno pepper or using red serrano peppers?
Probably not going to bother sourcing red jalapenos, which I'm not sure I've ever seen in a store. I don't care about the color, so green will be fine. Will probably add some Thai chilis for the flavor. Haven't gotten that far into the planning stage yet to make a pepper plan.

I was planning to use Khun Pai's recipe: https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/sriracha-hot-sauce/

Old 07-17-2023, 08:23 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,650,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144
Hm. The recipes I found didn't call for fermentation.
You won’t achieve the same flavor profile. Fermentation adds its own dimension of flavor. Huy Fongs is fermented.

If you’ve ever had real fermented sauerkraut vs the stuff canned with vinegar you’d understand.

Old 07-17-2023, 08:27 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,650,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
No substitute. We have tried a couple of other brands, but they just aren't the same. Sky Valley, made locally here in Idaho, has good flavor, but different. We are using it for things to drip hot sauce onto, but it doesn't work well in my recipes that call for Rooster Sauce.

The chili garlic sauce works as a substitute, but that is also unavailable.

I bought some Go****ang, but all that adds is hot. It doesn't have much actual flavor.

I looked into making it at home, but fermented sauce is beyond my skill set or risk level. I'll have red jalapenos to make chipotle with, but I'm not going to try fermenting.
We ferment sauerkraut and pickles. It’s not hard. And you’d know if a batch is bad, trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink