Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2023, 03:39 PM

612 posts, read 1,513,129 times

Advertisements

Late to the party... just realized all the Sriracha in market is gone now and I don't think there is any production going on it for it.

Any Sriracha lover here who found a replacement for it? What works best instead of Sriracha hot sauce?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2023, 03:49 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,650,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
Late to the party... just realized all the Sriracha in market is gone now and I don't think there is any production going on it for it.

Any Sriracha lover here who found a replacement for it? What works best instead of Sriracha hot sauce?

Thanks!
I’m not a huge fan of the Huy Fuong Sriracha sauce, but ironically I literally just read an article on NBC news about the whole shortage and the price gouging. I went to Amazon to see what some people are charging and almost lost my lunch.

Kept scrolling down and Yellowbird Sriracha received rave reviews, a lot comparing it to or saying it’s better than the green cap original. I love Yellowbirds original yellow Habanero condiment. In fact I bought a gallon of it last year. They make a good product. You may want to try it.

Old 07-16-2023, 04:10 PM

6,453 posts, read 3,973,217 times
I'm going to try my hand at making my own. Huy Fong is one of the ones that doesn't have a ton of sodium (which is why I buy that brand specifically), so replacing it with something else is unlikely to happen. If I make it myself, I control the sodium level.

Old 07-16-2023, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I'm going to try my hand at making my own. Huy Fong is one of the ones that doesn't have a ton of sodium (which is why I buy that brand specifically), so replacing it with something else is unlikely to happen. If I make it myself, I control the sodium level.
I've wanted to make my own, but part of the process involves fermenting the pepper mash. I have crocks, and we ferment our own sauerkraut and pickles, but I'm not sure my wife could stand the odor of peppers fermenting. It's really strong and permeates the house. It's not unlike kimchee and growing up we had Korean neighbors that made A LOT of it. Buried pots in the yard, crocks in the basement. Their entire yard and house smelled of spicy kimchee. Not that that's bad, but if you don't like the odor of spicy things-ouch.

Old 07-16-2023, 05:34 PM

777 posts, read 1,872,146 times
A few mentioned here https://archive.is/LeG3u

Old 07-16-2023, 05:35 PM

12,403 posts, read 9,502,300 times
There seem to be a million brands of sriracha sauce though (Trader Joes, Texas Petes, Tabasco, Thai Kitchen, Kikkoman, etc) plus dozens I haven't heard of before, and Huy Fong's is the only one that seems to be mentioned specifically as in shortage?

Old 07-16-2023, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
There seem to be a million brands of sriracha sauce though (Trader Joes, Texas Petes, Tabasco, Thai Kitchen, Kikkoman, etc) plus dozens I haven't heard of before, and Huy Fong's is the only one that seems to be mentioned specifically as in shortage?
1. It’s exceedingly popular and;
2. They were beholden to one pepper supplier for 30 years- Underwood farms, and there was a $23M lawsuit that Underwood won. Their relationship severed and Huy Fong didn’t have a diversified supply chain. Underwood Farms had 4,000 acres of red jalapeños devoted for Huy Fong.

You can read the details but there was some fraud involved, oral agreements gone twisted. It’s a shame.

So now Huy Fong is scrambling to secure suppliers.

Last edited by Threerun; 07-16-2023 at 06:03 PM..

Old 07-16-2023, 08:37 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,374,038 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Haven't had any problem finding other brands of Sriracha - just yesterday bought Sriraja Panich - listed as the original sriracha chili sauce from Thailand ($2 for 20.1 oz) and Tabasco Sriracha sauce ($3.50 for 20 oz). The Tabasco version is very good, have had it before. Previously got some Sky Valley green Sriracha sauce at Costco business center - really good but not really the same.

Old 07-17-2023, 08:20 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Quote:

Thanks!
No. The closest is going to be Huy Fong chili garlic sauce. The flavor is very close, but it has seeds (straining them out is an option).

There are plenty of other hot sauces that are delicious (including Yellowbird), but they aren't Huy Fong Sriracha.

DH has burnt his mouth with spicy food so much that he can't tell the difference between Huy Fong and some of the the other brands. I can - and he blind taste tested me. (Which is why I'm confident the closest your're going to get is the Huy Fong chili carlic sauce with the seeds.)

Old 07-17-2023, 08:28 AM

737 posts, read 409,146 times
I love siracha sauce sooo much. This guy is a stinking genius chef. I will try that Huy Fong chili garlic sauce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink