Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 08:52 AM

2,027 posts, read 983,695 times

Advertisements

None in 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2023, 08:57 AM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
Get beef at CostCo (business center, only.)

It's HALF the price of a regular CostCo.

Last time I bought ground beef (3 months ago) I bought 60# of "80-20" ground chuck.

I'm defrosting my last 10# chub today, for burritos this week.

Oh, it was $2.63/#....

I alternate with chicken, every other day. (Take the burritos for lunch at work.)

It's not a "money thing" either. If somebody (anybody) could make a better burrito than me, I'd buy it!

Old 10-21-2023, 08:57 AM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
We buy a quarter cow from a local butcher for a good price and get steaks, roasts and ground beef that lasts us for quite a while. We tend to eat it mostly on the weekends and particularly when our young adult sons come home for a visit.

Steaks on the grill, chili, roast in the crock pot, tacos, dirty rice, etc.

During the week I'd say we eat mostly chicken and fish.

Old 10-21-2023, 09:56 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I just heard a report stating only to eat red meat once a week to prevent diabetes. I gave up beef years ago after ecoli and mad cow disease were found in beef.
Actually, eating more meat (beef or otherwise) prevents the presentation of diabetes and facilitates its control. My success rate in treating diabetics over a 4o yr career was about 50% better than the reported average success rates of docs. I attribute that to my recommendation of a beef-centered diet. Beef is nutrient dense. A 1/3rd lb portion supplies all the protein, most minerals and half or more of most vitamins of the RDA and only 500 calories, with very few carbs. (and look up the cardiac value of cardiolipin found in beef) https://www.nutritionvalue.org/Hambu...nal_value.html

ONE steer with mad cow disease was found in the US (a steer imported from Canada) about 30 yrs ago. ...E.coli is everywhere....When meat at the butcher shop is ground, it's 9o% lean/10% fat....To "dilute" it to 80/20 ("ground chuck") or 70/30 (hamburger), they use the fat scraped from the underside of the hide (subcutaneous fat). You know, that hide that covered the steer while they wallowed in the mud & excrement in their pens. Luckily, inspections catch almost all contamination of products about to be shipped out. That's why you hear about all those recalls. Our commercial food supply is awfully safe.

Eating more beef would help eliminate the problem of constipation often seen in women.

We export a lot of beef, but we also import a lot. The stuff you buy at the chains stores is mostly imported. The good restaurants get most of the really good beef. You can save money by going to local, small processors and buying by the qtr, half or whole steer. For reference, a whole steer yields 450-500lb of feezer beef, and that will fill a full sized freezer (20-22 cu ft).

All cows are grass-fed-- at least 'til they get to the feedlots. "Grass-finished" is what's so supposed to be so good for you. The small differences in nutritional measures seen compared to feedlot beef is not clinically significant. Save your money if you're spending the extra for grass-finished if you're doing it for some imagined health benefit. (I've raised grass-finsihed beef. I prefer the taste & texture. It's an acquired taste.)

Beef-- It's what should be for dinner.

Old 10-21-2023, 09:59 AM

12,406 posts, read 9,502,300 times
I eat beef often, but as a minority of meals, I'd say my mix is something like:

- vegetarian = 10%
- fish = 20%
- poultry = 40%
- pork= 10%
- beef= 20%

I am an ominivore, but try to keep beef and pork as the minority, so they add up to roughly 30%.

Old 10-21-2023, 10:47 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
How often you buy beef, what cuts and what are the most common dishes you make from it? (no recipes on this forum, just name of the dishes, please)
We eat beef 3-4x a week for dinner and for lunch most days. Prime rib steaks, strip steaks, chuck roast, and ground beef are staples in our home. I'm a native Texan who was partially raised on a beef cattle ranch so meat is mother's milk to me. My husband, a native NYer, is a beef lover, too.

Steaks and burgers go on the grill. The chuck roast is mostly used for lunch sandwiches.

Neither of us have high cholesterol and are healthy. Beef is good for ya!

Old 10-21-2023, 11:39 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,030,713 times
I'll eat beef 1-2X a month max. I just don't enjoy it as much as I used to.

I ordered an Italian dish last night and it had meat in it but I didn't really eat much of it but all the pasta was gone.

Old 10-21-2023, 11:49 AM

36,417 posts, read 16,026,236 times
I go to Sam's about once every month or 6 weeks, I buy 2 4packs of Filet, freeze in 2's and cook every weekend or other weekend. Otherwise it's chicken for me, an occasional pork roast. Those 8 steaks (filets) is about 100 bucks unless on sale. Going to cut back on the filet. Maybe chuck roasts and ground beef. Got the best burgers ever at O'maha meats. A one time buy.

I'm a carnivore and eat a lot of meat.

Old 10-21-2023, 12:47 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
I eat beef more than some in this thread, but I'm definitely not among the 12% noted in the OP. I prefer white meat to red meat, which leads to me consuming less beef than some others. Now that I think of it, I may have beef a handful of times per month. Even when eating fast food, I'm much more likely to get chicken or fish than a beef burger.

Old 10-21-2023, 01:03 PM

13,070 posts, read 7,505,741 times
Eat beef only as hamburger or Pho. About 1 once a week. More often in the fall when I go out to local watering hole to watch football. Exception - wife bought a large Costco package of beef jerky.
Otherwise pork and chix for normal daily nutrition. Fish (normally salmon or black cod (sablefish)2-3x/mo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink