Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the following sandwiches, or not sandwiches? Please post on thread as well (so I see responses)
Samosas 3 37.50%
Empanadas 3 37.50%
Tacos 3 37.50%
Bagel & Lox 8 100.00%
Chimichangas 2 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM

2,242 posts, read 1,137,170 times

Advertisements

Looking at the thread title, I thought this was about the spelling of the word "sandwich". I've never seen it spelled "sandwhich" and am impressed the OP managed to spell it wrong immediately after spelling it correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM

14,415 posts, read 11,852,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Looking at the thread title, I thought this was about the spelling of the word "sandwich". I've never seen it spelled "sandwhich" and am impressed the OP managed to spell it wrong immediately after spelling it correctly.
Considering that he was asking "which" items were sandwiches, the spelling "sandwhich" could be considered a cute pun. I'm just not sure it was intended that way.

I don't consider any of the options to be sandwiches. A bagel is really not in the bread category, it's more like a doughy pretzel. You could also put cheese and meat on a toasted English muffin, but it wouldn't be a sandwich, because a muffin is not bread.

Tacos are not sandwiches. A chimichanga, burrito, enchilada, or anything else wrapped in a tortilla is a type of wrap, not a type of sandwich.

Foods encased in dough and then baked, fried or steamed are not sandwiches either.

Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM

35,391 posts, read 17,285,338 times
My apologies on the OP spelling errors and poll errors. I woke up this morning, readying to play tennis and wanted to give everyone a little fun, and apparently it backfired. I am not a professional pollster or writer. I personally consider all to be sandwiches. Sandwiches to me are a convenient way to make the fillings portable.

Last edited by jbgusa; Yesterday at 12:35 PM..

Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

10,900 posts, read 5,768,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
https://cuberule.com/

My companion and I agree that none of the things on your list qualify as a sandwich.
Fun website, but I disagree with some of their conclusions and classifications.

Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM

21,974 posts, read 25,334,662 times
All of the above are either sandwiches or not sandwiches

Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Per Igor's definition (with which I agree)...

A hamburger in a hamburger bun is a sandwich, but a hot dog in a hot dog bun is not a sandwich.
Loui’s Lunch, the supposed inventors of the hamburger, call it a “hamburger sandwich.” I don’t necessarily disagree, but it sounds very odd to my ear.

Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM

For me, the sandwich classification doesn’t include things that are more appropriately classified as something else. In the OP list, all of those items occupy their own classifications which are more appropriate than “sandwich.” The only exception could be the bagel with lox. However, even if it is in the form of a sandwich with top and bottom bagel slice around filling(s), it is still more appropriate to be classified as bagel.

Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM

35,391 posts, read 17,285,338 times
On a more serious note, an Indiana court has ruled that tacos are sandwiches (link), and, from that linked article, "in 2006, a judge in Massachusetts ruled that tacos were not sandwiches to clear a path for a chain restaurant that made tacos in a shopping center where another chain held a sandwich exclusivity clause." I guess both courts wanted the respective restaurants. to open.

Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM

30,750 posts, read 18,427,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Of the options listed, the only one I might consider a sandwich is the bagel. To me a sandwich is two (or more) pieces/slices of bread with a filling in between. Not wrapped, and not a tortilla.
I agree, that's the only thing on the list that's a sandwich to me. Everything else is in its own separate category for precisely the reasons you outline, which I note fall within the standard definition of the term as well.

Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
On a more serious note, an Indiana court has ruled that tacos are sandwiches (link), and, from that linked article, "in 2006, a judge in Massachusetts ruled that tacos were not sandwiches to clear a path for a chain restaurant that made tacos in a shopping center where another chain held a sandwich exclusivity clause." I guess both courts wanted the respective restaurants. to open.
I read that story some time ago. Weird, whacky stuff right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink