Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 06:23 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,331,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I need to buy a new grill. Thanks for the warning. I will make sure whatever grill I decide on is NOT made in China. Glad to hear you weren't injured.
Please let me know if you find one not made in China. I am havng a hard time. I am continuing my search. I posted in the Shopping forum and I guess last year's Webers were made in USA but are hard to find now that the newer models are out and of course made in China.

If I find any in my search, I will let you know.

Thanks,

Nicolem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 02:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Sounds like a regualtor problem to get that hot really. I have a gas grill that is stainless that I use all the time to cook steaks and fish. I like it becasue it is quicker for cooking a quick meal unlike charcoal . I also have a charcoal and a smoker. The smoker only gets used for large cookouts with cheaper cuts because it takes alot of upkeep if you don't want that black soot on your meal.I use misquite on the side in a container on my grill ;works perfectly.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:00 PM

550 posts, read 1,550,426 times
Thumbs up Have grill will travel !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I need to buy a new grill. Thanks for the warning. I will make sure whatever grill I decide on is NOT made in China. Glad to hear you weren't injured.
Just rember charcoal or hardwood grills/smokers still need to be closley watched. Embers can get airborne and land on roofs and decks. I have used one for over thirty years with out a problem, but every summer you can read about one starting a fire.

Happy Grilling !!!

Old 06-20-2008, 08:26 PM

Default Propane bottle exchange WARNING !!!

If use use propane bottles and exchange them for full ones beware. The meth labs are using them to store their anhydrous ammonia. After they are finished with them, they return them to the store. They are then refilled with propane and sent back for you and me to buy. Anhydrous ammonia is very corrosive and weakens the structure of the tank. It can be very dangerous when mixed with propane and hooked up to our grills, etc. You should inspect the propane tank for any blue or greenish residue around the valve areas. If it is present, refuse to purchase that tank. Check out the following website for more details. They also have pictures.
http://www.npga.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=529

Old 06-21-2008, 09:10 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,620,391 times
Punt the LP and get a wood pellet grill/smoker. A bit high priced but well worth it as it will last a long time. Look at Traeger, Louisiana Country Cookers, Fast eddies by cook shack. More out there, but these are good ones.

"Once you have 'wood', you'll never have 'gas' again"

Old 06-21-2008, 04:08 PM

188 posts, read 548,744 times
Thats a crazy story, I'd be interested to hear what material was in your BBQ to make it do that...magnesium?

Old 06-21-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Punt the LP and get a wood pellet grill/smoker. A bit high priced but well worth it as it will last a long time. Look at Traeger, Louisiana Country Cookers, Fast eddies by cook shack. More out there, but these are good ones.

"Once you have 'wood', you'll never have 'gas' again"
You will if you buy a place in a forrest! I just bought my first one a month ago, for our place in Timberon, NM. On the edge of Lincoln National Forrest. Drought this year has caused stage 3 fire closures.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:37 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
That's quite a tale! I just invested in a gas BBQ grill after years of the charcoal routine and really love it so far. I DID follow the directions carefully, though, and - as advised - cranked it up for 15 minutes prior to using it to burn off what they call any "manufacturing residue." It must have scared the bejasus out of you, roaddog but thank goodness it wasn't a worse experience. Cheers!

Old 06-23-2008, 07:47 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Two bad fires in a local neighborhood last year were caused by gas grills. Both homes had to be demolished, and nearby homes (small lots there) were badly damaged.

I've never liked gas, and prefer the taste of charbroiled foods anyway, so this year we bought a chargoal grill. It wasn't easy to find one, though. There are lots of gas grills, few charcoal.

Thanks to pipeweld for putting the tank exchange information, and the link, for all. I never would have trusted someone else's tank anyway, but this is good information for anyone who is into gas grilling.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,766 times
Default Perfect Flame Metal Caught My deck on fire!!!

I am some kinda mad, We live in Wetaskwin Alberta Canada and My Perfect Flame BBq just burst into flames!!! no not a grease fire,! the Fnking metal caught fire!! it flared white and started to spit molten metal chunks all around my deck,!! now i couldn't put the Beotch out with water no matter how much i doused it, we eventually resorted to a CO2 extingusher we keep in the garage. The powder ones didn't work either!!, Now a quik call to my Uncle (a Scrap metal Guy) says its most likely Magnisium a metal that burns bright white and burns under water. BEWARE this Beitch will burn everything around including you and your house!!!! we had it at 350 degrees F and poof, only 3 months old too!
PERFECT FLAME BBQ's CATCH FIRE!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink