Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 04:00 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
It's honestly best not to strike fear in people, too.
Lead Poisoning Associated with Imported Candy and Powdered Food Coloring -- California and Michigan

I'm SURE you know more then the CDC and all the people that work there.

Imported food dangers - Today Tonight

California claims Coke bottled in Mexico has lead | AFP | Find Articles at BNET

Honestly, if you have spent any time at all in other countries you have to be aware they have different standards. If you guys want to ingest god knows what with their products but I think I shall abstain whenever posible.

Mind you, I found these 3 references in about 2 minutes with a google search, imagine what I would be able to find with a real thorough search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 04:09 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Honestly, if you have spent any time at all in other countries you have to be aware they have different standards.

Yes. Some worse than ours and, you might be surprised to know, some better (or better for us).

Do you know about the study (studies now, I believe) that found that children who were raised in antiseptically clean environments have twice the incidence of childhood illness and develop twice the incidence of allergies as children who are raised on farms? (And, as the researchers said, regarding the microscopic examination of bedding, and the farm-raised children's sheets, "You do NOT want to know what we found there!" Living on a farm, I can imagine, though. ) Seems our immune systems have to have something to work with in order to develop properly, go figure.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:30 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
It's time Americans started getting back control of their food supply. When I was a kid, just about everyone had a backyard garden of some sort and you ate what was in season/what would grow in your area. Our demand for all sorts of choices in vegetables and for them to be available year-round is putting us at risk -- not just for unsanitary practices in growing our food but also for deliberate tampering of our imports.

I couldn't wait to have a backyard garden and it's been successful, without the use of pesticides. Natural pest control is effective AND cost-free! I compost on a small scale to provide my plants with nutrient-rich earth, too. Nature provides well for us if we work with it, not against it.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:36 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Honestly, if you have spent any time at all in other countries you have to be aware they have different standards.

Yes. Some worse than ours and, you might be surprised to know, some better (or better for us).

Do you know about the study (studies now, I believe) that found that children who were raised in antiseptically clean environments have twice the incidence of childhood illness and develop twice the incidence of allergies as children who are raised on farms? (And, as the researchers said, regarding the microscopic examination of bedding, and the farm-raised children's sheets, "You do NOT want to know what we found there!" Living on a farm, I can imagine, though. ) Seems our immune systems have to have something to work with in order to develop properly, go figure.
My daughter hasn't been raised in an antiseptically clean house but the least I can do is NOT give her products laced with lead.

As far as her immune system, she is 11 and only had antibiotics like 3 times, the first time when she was 5. She has a very strong immune system.

Closing ones eyes to the problems seems almost criminal when you give things like this to your kids. If you want to ingest things that have lead in them and god knows what kind of insecticides then by all means.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:44 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Well, my children are 24 and 36 now. Any damage would already have been done (as it would have been done to me long, long, LONG ago) and, presumably, evident. However, we have strong genetics on our side. (My mother had cholesterol - evil, evil cholesterol! - that they got DOWN to 300 with medication AND a 10% or less fat diet. She died at 80, not of anything related to that, but of complications she got of a broken hip that she got running from the shower to the phone because she thought it was her boyfriend calling. It was. It was being bedridden as a result of the broken hip, having to slow down, that killed her, basically. Of 9 children in her family, she died at the youngest age. My MIL died at about the same age. She chainsmoked and drank nothing but cup after cup after cup of black coffee, for 50 years at least. So clearly the constitution is there on both sides.)

And I didn't say that you raised your daughter in an antiseptically clean house. (Presumably you don't, then, use the cleaners that are antibiotic - they are prime offenders. See, we do things that are damaging on this side of the border, too, sometimes, thinking we're doing the "right" thing.) I just pointed out the study.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I personally do my best to avoid produce from other countries because their levels of cleanliness are WAY different then ours.

Yes but it seems mnay of the problems now are with US grown items too.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:27 AM

17 posts, read 129,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
It grows in dirt, bugs crawl all over it and birds poop on it - how clean can it ever really be? Just wash your produce and hope for the best.
I agree. I personally believe that government health agencies are becoming too fanatical in their quest to shield the public from the "dangers" of foods that carry any infinitesimal risk of making someone ill. I still love my shellfish, bone marrow, raw beef and fish, raw tomatoes soaked in balsamic vinegar, and all the other goodies that horrify the health crusaders. I think if the government wants to protect us they should outlaw McFood.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:58 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Lead Poisoning Associated with Imported Candy and Powdered Food Coloring -- California and Michigan

I'm SURE you know more then the CDC and all the people that work there.

Imported food dangers - Today Tonight

California claims Coke bottled in Mexico has lead | AFP | Find Articles at BNET

Honestly, if you have spent any time at all in other countries you have to be aware they have different standards. If you guys want to ingest god knows what with their products but I think I shall abstain whenever posible.

Mind you, I found these 3 references in about 2 minutes with a google search, imagine what I would be able to find with a real thorough search.
You have every right to protect your family the best you see fit, as do I. I shouldn't try to change anyone, and I'm not, I like a good argument.

If I rely on the gov't and the CDC to save me, I might as well shoot myself now. They strike fear in people, keeps us wanting them in our lives to "save" us. Then again, I want less gov't and more people take'n care of themselves. It's like were 35yr old kids live'n w/Mom & Dad cause we can't take care of ourselves. I'm getting off subject.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:03 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
First they said tomatoes, then peppers but my money is still back on the green onions or shallots. The folds in some vegetables are so hard to clean.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:04 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

I agree 100%. I see it in our little town easily. Pampered people are sick all the time, and they blame someone else.

I also agreed to what you said about die'n. When I hit 80 I want put down, if I make it that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink