Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 10:48 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,056,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Chitterlings (Chitlins) are usually prefered by southern black folks, not many southern whites eat them anymore.
The list of things that used to be quite common throughout the country is quite long. I'm not sure how common Chitlins were outside of the south, but when I think about some of the things my grandmother used to cook it reminds me how much things have changed.

Most of those things I will still eat occasionally…however due to the health concerns of eating too many animal products I wouldn’t want to make most of them a regular part of my diet.

Ham hocks, headcheese, blood sausage, fried brain sandwiches, tongue sandwiches, and on and on…

Old 08-15-2008, 10:58 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,855 times
Default lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
OKRA!!!! I forgot FRIED OKRA! Oh Me O My! How could I have forgotten FRIED OKRA?! I LOVE FRIED OKRA!!!!! Now I want a plate of Chicken Fried Steak, mashed potatoes (w/ some serious pepper), WHITE SAUSAGE GRAVY, Fried okra, and a thick rich buiscuit to sop it all up with... mmmmmm Oh My GRAVY.. YUM-O!
LOL you're making me hungry! Lol Stop!

Old 08-15-2008, 11:03 PM

Smile Tsk Tsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
In general, I've gotta say southern. Collatds, mustard greens, okra, BBQ!!!, sweet potato pie, pecan pie, peanut butter pie, real mac n' cheese, cornbread...

But in the right places in the north, kudos to real bagels, real pizza, Greek run diners, hoagies, huge pastrami sandwiches on rye bread with coleslaw, Russian dressing, and swiss cheese..
There's lots to like in both places.
Ive just realized lol that Im predjudiced against food.
Bagels-not my favorite.
Pizza- Happy with Domino's
Hoagie- Thats just a funny name for a sub sandwhich.
Pastrami- Dont know what its made of and Im not eating it!
Rye Bread- Smells like feet.
Russian Dressing- Didnt know the Russians made a dressing.
Swiss Cheese- Nuh-uh. I saw on the Discovery Channel how they make Swiss Cheese. I KNOW how those holes get in there. Nope nope nope! lol

Ya'll keep it coming! Im enjoying this immensely!

Old 08-15-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Chitterlings (Chitlins) are usually prefered by southern black folks, not many southern whites eat them anymore.
I wouldnt say all that now. There was a festival (in Greenville I think??) called The Chitlin Strut a few years ago. My boyfriend and his family went and they werent the only white people there. There's got to be some following for them if there's a whole festival for them, right?

Old 08-15-2008, 11:11 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I wouldnt say all that now. There was a festival (in Greenville I think??) called The Chitlin Strut a few years ago. My boyfriend and his family went and they werent the only white people there. There's got to be some following for them if there's a whole festival for them, right?
I'll pass on that festival. Maybe it's time to head west for a chili cook off. The smell would have to be better. I wonder if there is a fried okra festival anywhere. Maybe I need to google that one.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:36 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
One food that is certainly different is dressing ("stuffing" to folks up north). Here in the south dressing is cooked in a pan and is a side dish to the bird, and I notice up north the dressing is stuffed into the bird. I also notice northern folks tend to add nuts and fruit to it, that's a big no no in the south. Northerners also use white bread crumbs to make it, but we southerners use cornbread. In the south it doesn't matter what the occasion is, it can be Thanksgiving, Christmas, or just a family get together, but there is always a big pan of dressing.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:50 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,056,509 times
Quote:
One food that is certainly different is dressing ("stuffing" to folks up north). Here in the south dressing is cooked in a pan and is a side dish to the bird, and I notice up north the dressing is stuffed into the bird. I also notice northern folks tend to add nuts and fruit to it, that's a big no no in the south. Northerners also use white bread crumbs to make it, but we southerners use cornbread. In the south it doesn't matter what the occasion is, it can be Thanksgiving, Christmas, or just a family get together, but there is always a big pan of dressing.
Growing up in a half Southern and half Northern family we had both Northern style stuffing and Southern style dressing, and to this day I'll still cook both.

Although, if I really had to choose, I'd choose stuffing made with whole wheat bread, onions, ground pork sausage, celery, apples, fresh rosemary, sage and thyme, and lots of butter!

Old 08-16-2008, 01:20 AM

424 posts, read 1,676,365 times
Quote:
I know there used to be a festival by that name in Salley, South Carolina.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:46 AM

3,074 posts, read 8,026,322 times
Quote:
Ive just realized lol that Im predjudiced against food.
Bagels-not my favorite.
Pizza- Happy with Domino's
Hoagie- Thats just a funny name for a sub sandwhich.
Pastrami- Dont know what its made of and Im not eating it!
Rye Bread- Smells like feet.
Russian Dressing- Didnt know the Russians made a dressing.
Swiss Cheese- Nuh-uh. I saw on the Discovery Channel how they make Swiss Cheese. I KNOW how those holes get in there. Nope nope nope! lol

Ya'll keep it coming! Im enjoying this immensely!
OMG, native lousiianaian here who likes all this. I eat bagels every day with my coffee, don't have time for a sit down breakfast. Also love pastrami on rye, slaw, swiss, reubens, kraut, etc.

Animal parts you can keep. I like most southern foods.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:12 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Growing up in a half Southern and half Northern family we had both Northern style stuffing and Southern style dressing, and to this day I'll still cook both.

Although, if I really had to choose, I'd choose stuffing made with whole wheat bread, onions, ground pork sausage, celery, apples, fresh rosemary, sage and thyme, and lots of butter!
Your stuffing sounds wonderful.

Does anyone else have 'Dressing' rather than stuffing? This seems to be 'Southern'--the stuffing mixture is cooked in a pan rather than in the bird. It is made with a lot of cornbread as well as the stale rolls and bread. My Mother saves for a few days prior to making the dressing. Lots of onions and eggs, milk--and pepper. It needs the pepper. I love this stuff. After eating Thanksgiving dinner --a few slices of cold dressing, turkey and cranberry sauce make a great evening feast. Accompanied by pecan/pumpkin pie--why does everything taste so much better a few hours later? I'm just glad it does.

ETA:

Just went back through the thread--seems like the Dressing issue was covered earlier.

Just putting in my vote for dressing, then. It is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink