Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 02:09 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,952,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
I have my grandmother's dutch oven. i would never part with it. It has seen many, many years of use. Still works beautifully.

I clean it with just a rough kitchen towel (no salt unless desperate) and then oil w/olive oil. Once wiped, it gets a short reheating until it is dry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
We use kosher salt and oil over heat, scrubbed out with a folded paper towel. It's cheaper than sea salt. We never allow soap to touch it if possible, as it removes the oil from the pores in the iron.
Some are saying they use olive oil but why? Olive oil has a low burning point so use either crisco or vegetable oil. Also I read to clean, make a paste of salt and oil and rub it over the rust to clean it. Then I would coat the whole pan and stick it in the oven.

When I'm fiished using my cast iron pans, I just wipe it out, coat it with oil, and on top of the stove till it smokes. If there is some food stuck, a little water and brush, then oil and heat it!!!

BTW, I am still going strong making no knead bread in my cast iron dutch oven. This is the thread that started me baking this bread 3 years ago thanks to some people on here. Wander back and see some of the earlier posts! Today, I was curious as to what started me with the no knead bread revolution and I knew for me, it started on here and I found the thread having to do with cast iron pots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 03:13 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,292,857 times
Would you like to share the recipe for this bread?

Old 11-09-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Would you like to share the recipe for this bread?
I see you were active on this thread, surprise you didn't catch it, but here is a link to the recipe section:

//www.city-data.com/forum/recip...d-bread-2.html post 11

Old 11-10-2011, 12:48 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,292,857 times
Thanks! I looked through the thread before I asked for the recipe, but guess I missed it. Appreciate the recipe.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Thanks! I looked through the thread before I asked for the recipe, but guess I missed it. Appreciate the recipe.
NP, Any questions once you try the recipe, give a yell!

Soft doughs can be hard to manage and also there's videos on Youtube about this, search no-knead.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:38 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,736 times
Default How on earth does one use a cast-iron grill pan?

I have an apartment, and whenever I use mine, the smoke alarms go berserk--and for a good reason, because the pan smokes like crazy.

How do I get around this problem?

I tend to sear my meats on high heat at 7/10 on the temperature scale. I use olive oil for my cooking too since I minimize my consumption of vegetable oils (canola, corn, vegetable, etc I don't cook with).

It's a dilemma because the pan cooks the meat well, but it's a huge battle to prepare the burgers because of the copious amount of smoke.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:51 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
Cooking Oil Temperatures and Proper Usage

You need to switch to a oil with a higher "smoke point" - is there a reason you are against vegetable oils? I think you'd get better results with one.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:12 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
You need to switch to a oil with a higher "smoke point" -
I second the emotion... olive oil is just about the smokiest oil you could use.

Choose a high temperature oil instead. In the small quantities needed to lightly oil a grill pan there are no significant health concerns with any of them.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:54 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Well first off is your pan seasoned correctly? A bare unseasoned cast iron grill will smoke more than a well seasoned one. With a seasoned pan you could cook room temp steak on 5 or 6 after letting the pan heatup.

I use peanut oil exclusively for HIGH heat grilling when needed. There is a reason its the best for deep frying. Super high smoke point.

Did I mention seasoning your grill?

Never wash your pan with soap after you season it. Warm water and a stiff brush when necessary to get rid of the black bits. Then wipe with paper towel and dry on stove on low, bont burn it though.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:24 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I use peanut oil exclusively for HIGH heat grilling when needed. There is a reason its the best for deep frying. Super high smoke point.
May I revise that statement slightly? Refined Peanut Oil has a high smoke point (450 F/ 232 C), but unrefined peanut oil is similar to olive oil, with a smoke point of 320 F / 160 C. Confusing those two is a mistake you'll only make once.

For something like this my go-to is grapeseed oil. It's a high temp oil like refined peanut, refined sunflower, refined safflower, etc., but with neutral taste and zero health concerns. It's expensive, but in the small quantity used for this kind of application the expense is negligible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink