Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2015, 09:39 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

I like my Lodge skillet and use it for steaks, but my pot...meh...much prefer my Le Creuset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 10:41 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
Yep - at first it was just a griddle, then a fry pan and a couple steak platters... Well - since we seem to prefer cooking with it, it just seems to be taking over the kitchen. I notice we both seem to reach for the cast iron first. Everything just seem to cook better in it.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:28 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
Me too Atrill. Here's something I had a few weeks back. Salmon cakes, hash browns, kale and cornbread, all prepared in cast iron.
Very nice!

I really like how cast iron has the weight to hold heat and really sear. One thing I make a lot (usually twice a week) is burnt tomatoes. You can get OK results in the kitchen with a hot cast iron skillet, but to really do it right you need a cast iron griddle outside that you can heat up until it's almost glowing:

I used these ones as a side to put on griddled polenta with fresh oregano to go with smoked wild boar ribs:

They are just incredible, and there is no way to do them without cast iron. Most vegetables I make in the oven are just tossed with EVOO and vinegar, and then thrown into a cast iron skillet that's been heated to 500 degrees or so. You can shut off the oven shortly after they've been thrown in and just let them cook on the remaining heat for 10-15 minutes.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:29 PM

61,721 posts, read 87,123,005 times
^^^ Nice, but the tomatoes are burned too much! The black stuff is unhealthy! Burned food is carcinogenic. Also charred food has less nutritional value and calorific value.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:17 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
yep I use the cast iron flat grill for my scrambled eggs and hash browns and they come out perfect everytime and no sticking . If you have sticking with cast iron it is not seasoned right . my cast iron cooks perfectly everytime I love cast iron .

Old 02-17-2015, 06:27 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,696,474 times
I have a vintage Wagner cast iron 11 cup muffin pan. At the present time, it is not usable. It has some rust on it, deep in the cups, which is a shame because it is popover season. Years ago I cleaned one up using elbow grease and it was a lot of work. I never found the technique of soaking rusted cast iron in coca cola or some such to work.

My current idea is to find someone to blast the muffin pan with some appropriate media. Think sandblast but with something more appropriate than sand. Anyone had this done?

Old 02-17-2015, 07:00 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I have a vintage Wagner cast iron 11 cup muffin pan. At the present time, it is not usable. It has some rust on it, deep in the cups, which is a shame because it is popover season. Years ago I cleaned one up using elbow grease and it was a lot of work. I never found the technique of soaking rusted cast iron in coca cola or some such to work.

My current idea is to find someone to blast the muffin pan with some appropriate media. Think sandblast but with something more appropriate than sand. Anyone had this done?

White vinegar is your friend.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:11 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ Nice, but the tomatoes are burned too much! The black stuff is unhealthy! Burned food is carcinogenic. Also charred food has less nutritional value and calorific value.
The connection between grilling and cancer has been mis-represented by many of the writers covering it.

What is know is that the consumption of PAHs and HCAs increase the chances of someone developing cancer at some point in their lives. It is also know that PAHs and HCAs can be formed during grilling, but that is only done when the proteins in animal fat are exposed to very high temperatures (it doesn't happen on the grill, it only happens when the fat drips onto the fire). It is completely impossible for fruits and vegetables to form PAHs and HCAs, since they do not have any of the proteins that cause the problems. So while I appreciate your concern, in this instance there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:48 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I like cast iron, but wash them after each use in soapy water, so they don't really stay seasoned. I never did like the idea of just wiping them out after use...it just doesn't seem sanitary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
I've always heard not to wash them with soap, but if it's well seasoned I never found it to be a problem and food never sticks.
The no-soap thing is actually a myth. When properly seasoned, the oil has polymerized and it won't be washed off with soap. So wash away! Just don't soak it in water, and do not let it sit to dry. You must dry it immediately after washing or rinsing to minimize any chance for rust to accumulate.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:04 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
The no-soap thing is actually a myth. When properly seasoned, the oil has polymerized and it won't be washed off with soap. So wash away! Just don't soak it in water, and do not let it sit to dry. You must dry it immediately after washing or rinsing to minimize any chance for rust to accumulate.
Yay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink