Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:27 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,684,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
A little secret....my step son use to work at Olive Garden...he told us their meals are all pre cooked and measured in boil bags. I believe it's Betty Crocker that owns Olive Garden. Now I have no proof but this is what he told us! And people rave about their food! Their commercials go on and on about how it's cooked fresh! My hubby can't stand it and wouldn't go there even before his step son told us! Of course that was many years ago---it may have changed!??
I believe it. I'm sorry but I find Olive Garden to be disgusting and just another fast food restaraunt. I remember the first time I ate there I tried to play it safe and just order spaghetti. Well I got spaghetti with a the tomato sauce on top still in the shape of a can of tomato paste. I mean they didn't even try to hide the fact that they just dumped the paste on the pasta. This was probably almost fifteen to twenty years ago and having been back once since then I think it's safe to say that little has changed. But boy howdy do they do a good business. I don't get it all but then I am also in love with Romano's Macaroni Grill which may get the same complaints lol.

As for the pasta as Pizza Hut, I have been curious but not curious enough to order it. The last time I picked up a pizza there though I asked the kid up front if I could try a sample and he said don't even bother, it's so not worth it. I took his word for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 08:01 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
that commercial shows one thing:
people are impressed solely on ambiance, and therefore pay no attention to the food. this happens ALL THE TIME!!!
people get scammed. they are willing to pay $20 for a dinner that takes up only half the dish and tastes like garbage, but the restaurant is popular.
meanwhile, the hole in the wall place that actually cares about the food they prepare is considered lowly and people wont go as much, because it costs less.
My hubby and I search out those "holes-in-the-walls" and have found some of the best foods ever there! They forgo the "looks" for their restaurants for their quality of foods often times! Many "mom's n pop's" type places. But be aware--once the word gets out they get as crowded as the big restaurants!

Old 09-25-2008, 08:17 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,828 times
Quote:
My hubby and I search out those "holes-in-the-walls" and have found some of the best foods ever there! .... But be aware--once the word gets out they get as crowded as the big restaurants!
"Nobody goes there no more, it's too crowded!" - Yogi Berra

Old 09-25-2008, 08:21 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
people are impressed solely on ambiance, and therefore pay no attention to the food. this happens ALL THE TIME!!!
people get scammed. they are willing to pay $20 for a dinner that takes up only half the dish and tastes like garbage, but the restaurant is popular.
meanwhile, the hole in the wall place that actually cares about the food they prepare is considered lowly and people wont go as much, because it costs less.
That is exactly the point we took away from the commercial. A bunch of pretentious idiots waxing on about how the pasta is "indulgent" or whatever...acting like they know a darn thing about food that they didn't see on Iron Chef.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:36 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,656 times
I love it when you find a good mom & pop place.
I always try those places,you could have horrible food and never return or..
Find something great and become a regular.
I used to go to this tiny greek place and eat and the owner would talk for a..
An hour!It was like eating at a friends!

Old 09-25-2008, 12:28 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
I think you hit the nail on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
I believe it. I'm sorry but I find Olive Garden to be disgusting and just another fast food restaraunt. I remember the first time I ate there I tried to play it safe and just order spaghetti. Well I got spaghetti with a the tomato sauce on top still in the shape of a can of tomato paste. I mean they didn't even try to hide the fact that they just dumped the paste on the pasta.
The only time I went there I had the tour of Italy. The lasagna tasted off to me, so I didn't eat it. Tasted like it had thawed and been refrozen. That kind of thing can make you sick.

Quote:
My hubby and I search out those "holes-in-the-walls" and have found some of the best foods ever there! They forgo the "looks" for their restaurants for their quality of foods often times! Many "mom's n pop's" type places. But be aware--once the word gets out they get as crowded as the big restaurants!
Exactly, they can't stay in business if their food isn't good.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:08 PM

53 posts, read 196,928 times
What I don't get either is who goes to a fancy restaurant in NYC and orders mac and cheese with bacon bits? Come on now. They either served it to a thousand people and picked the only 20 people who fell for it for the commercial OR it just goes to show what others have said, that people will compliment any food they're served at a nice restaurant despite quality/taste just because they EXPECT it to be worth the price!

Old 09-25-2008, 09:35 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,292,857 times
Minnie, my best friend from high school lives in Italy....I am not sure exactly where....about 30 minutes from Venice though.....She now speaks fluent Italian and never wants to come home! Could it be the Pizza? (Or the men?? LOL )

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
I'm waiting for you in Italy!!!!!
Italian pizza is the best!!!! It's my favorite food!

Uhm...No, pizza isn't Sicilian..
Pizza is from Naples but you can try a good Italian pizza in every place of Italy!

Old 09-26-2008, 12:01 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,765,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Minnie, my best friend from high school lives in Italy....I am not sure exactly where....about 30 minutes from Venice though.....She now speaks fluent Italian and never wants to come home! Could it be the Pizza? (Or the men?? LOL )

oh yes, pizza and men are two good reasons to stay in italy but your American men..it's great and the food..the same!

can I change my place?

Old 09-26-2008, 09:40 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,292,857 times
LOL, Yes Minnie, I would be glad to swap places with you - for a little while anyhow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink