Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:38 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,314 times

Advertisements

I need to cook for a group(25ppl) of vip's w/an age range of 30-75. I have the sides taken care of, I need a main course. One of the mains will be smoked boneless prime rib, I need another selection for those watch'n their weight, cholesterol, etc. I know if I ask them they will just say "what ever you make is fine w/us".

I thought about smoked trout, smoked chicken, shrimp.....but I don't know. Any ideas? I'd like it to be done on the smoker(which is just like an oven) or the grill as I won't have much time to prepare the meal.

What do you guys/gals, who watch weight/cholesterol, like to eat?

Thanks for the help.

BTW - I don't think they'd be into mussels, lobster, or crab........and the bill is on me....and I don't think I'd want to pay for lobster and crab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 10:56 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,694 times
What about a cedar plank salmon?

Old 10-07-2008, 11:13 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,111 times
I can understand you don't want to use lobster or crabs. They must be expensive in Kansas. Chicken is very virsatile. Smoked or grilled is good. What about beercan chicken on the grill? Very moist and tasty without alot of fuss.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
What about a cedar plank salmon?
I've never done a cedar plank salmon, but I have smoked some salmon using a dry brine. That is a good idea, I'm not crazy about salmon(nor is our family) but that is a good idea.

Thanks

Old 10-07-2008, 11:27 AM

93 posts, read 204,848 times
Aside from fish, how about chicken?

I have Mastercook and a volume included is "Food for Fifty"
here are two chicken dishes which can be resized-

Chicken and Snow Peas Over Rice

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 50 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Main Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
8 ounces cornstarch
1 1/4 teaspoons black pepper
1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/4 gallons water
3/4 cup soy sauce
4 ounces chicken base
200 ounces chicken strips or cubes -- uncooked
6 ounces green onions -- sliced
26 ounces canned mushrooms -- drained
44 ounces frozen snow peas
56 ounces converted rice
4 1/4 quarts water
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons margarine

-Combine sugar, cornstarch, pepper, ginger and garlic in steam-jacketed kettle or saucepan.
-Stir in water, soy sauce, and chicken base. Cook until clear and thickened. Turn off heat. Cover and keep warm.
-Stir-fry chicken in hot oil until lightly browned and cooked through, internal temperature 165°F. Drain off any liquid.
-Add chicken and vegetables to reserved sauce. Cook for about 1 minute until snow peas are hot.
-Cook rice according to directions on p. 399. Serve 4 oz sauce over 4 oz cooked rice.

and ...

Grilled Chicken Breast

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 50 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Main Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
50 (6-ounces) each skinless boneless chicken breasts
seasonings or salt and pepper to taste -- (see Notes)

-Grill chicken breasts on well-oiled grill preheated to 350°F, for 3-5 minutes, or until internal temperature is 165°F.

VARIATIONS:

Blackened Chicken. Rub chicken with Cajun Seasoning (p. 592) before grilling.

Chicken Breast Dijon. In baker's bowl mix 2 2/3 cups honey, 2 cups Dijon mustard, 1 1/2 cups fresh or reconstituted frozen lemon juice, 1 1/2 tsp dried tarragon leaves, and 3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce. Brush glaze over chicken breasts during last few minutes of grilling.

Chicken Breast with Grilled Tomato Sauce. Sauté 2 Tbsp minced garlic in 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil until fragrant but not browned. Add 5 lb 12 oz firm tomatoes, diced, and 1 1/2 Tbsp granulated sugar. Sauté 2 minutes until heated. Add 1/3 cup red wine vinegar, 1 1/2 Tbsp salt, 2 Tbsp cracked black pepper, and 1/2 cup snipped fresh parsley. Toss lightly. Ladle 2 oz sauce over cooked chicken breast.

Curried Chicken Breast. In baker's bowl blend 1 qt vegetable oil, 2 2/3 cups fresh or reconstituted frozen lemon juice, 6 oz curry powder, 3 oz minced garlic, 1/2 tsp cayenne, and 1/2 tsp ground cumin. Place chicken breasts in marinade and turn so all surfaces are covered. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Drain. Grill as for Grilled Chicken Breast.

Herb-Marinated Chicken Breast. In baker's bowl, mix 2 1/2 cups red wine vinegar, 2 tsp dried rosemary leaves, 1/4 tsp ground thyme, 3 Tbsp minced garlic, 2 Tbsp salt, and 1 qt vegetable oil. Place chicken breasts in marinade and turn so all surfaces are covered. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Drain. Grill as for Grilled Chicken Breast.

Sesame Mustard Chicken. Prepare sauce by combining in steam-jacketed kettle or saucepan 1 1/2 qt water, 2 3/4 cups cider vinegar, 1/4 cup cooking sherry, 1 lb 4 oz granulated sugar, 3/4 cup soy sauce, 2 oz dry mustard, 1 tsp turmeric, 1 oz toasted sesame seeds, 2 oz cornstarch, and 5 tsp sesame oil. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly, until thickened. Ladle 2 oz sauce over cooked chicken breast.

Tarragon Chicken. Follow recipe for Lime Tarragon Turkey Steaks, p. 459. Substitute chicken breasts for turkey. Grill as for Grilled Chicken Breast.
This particular volume of recipes appears to also be available at scribd.com

Old 10-07-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
I can understand you don't want to use lobster or crabs. They must be expensive in Kansas. Chicken is very virsatile. Smoked or grilled is good. What about beercan chicken on the grill? Very moist and tasty without alot of fuss.
Cheapest I've gotten them was around $15/#(live), but yes.....a bit expensive.

I've done beer can chicken and it is not near as good as brining a chicken that has been spatchcocked and smoked. I honestly think the beer can chix are a joke, but that is just our family as I did a taste test.....parents incl who are 60y's old.

I also had chicken for them last yr, hate to repeat. I'd like to do a crawdad boil, but w/the mess and work to get the meat......I don't know if they'd like that. Out of season, too......but why am I telling you this Jessie, old hat for you down in "mudbug" country.

BTW, Jessie, thank you. I'm getting better........I hope.

Chicken always does good, maybe I should reconsider.

Thanks

Old 10-07-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
brining a chicken that has been spatchcocked and smoked
Caveman....what is spatchcocked? When you did your beercan ckick did you inject it with seasoning? I use a cajun butter injection that really makes it good. Guess the beer can just makes those chickens sit pretty with their legs crossed and helps keep them moist.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:35 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,858 times
Steak kebabs/bobs are easy to portion-control, and mixing n threading up with bright coloured veggies - peppers, zucchini, etc - makes them look healthy and seem to have less of the naughty stuff. With a good glaze or marinade they'd be very goodlookin too

A few shimp or chicken versions could add variety but not confuse the chef too much...

Fish....A whole salmon looks very fancy - you could parcel the entire fish in foil and steam. To serve, peel back the foil, carefully remove the skin from the upper side and decorate with slices of tomato, peppers, lemon, fresh dill.
Serve with a home-made lemon & dill mayo....

Old 10-07-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I'd like to do a crawdad boil, but w/the mess and work to get the meat......I don't know if they'd like that. Out of season, too......
The only old folks that seem to handle that are the ones that grew up eating it!!! I'm originally from New York State. My parents came to visit here in Louisiana and we threw a crawfish boil for them. Needless to say they were not impressed. To much work and to spicy.

Last edited by Jessiegee40; 10-07-2008 at 11:57 AM..

Old 10-07-2008, 11:48 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
I'd add a couple of small turkeys and 6-8 roasting chickens to the smoker and call it good. Simple and delicious. I would smoke half and bake half for those who don't care for the smoky flavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink