Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: On A Scale Of 1 Through 10, What Would You Rank The Food At The Olive Garden ?
10 6 5.56%
9 1 0.93%
8 14 12.96%
7 11 10.19%
6 9 8.33%
5 12 11.11%
4 18 16.67%
3 14 12.96%
2 8 7.41%
1 15 13.89%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 03:11 PM

926 posts, read 2,750,686 times

Advertisements

Olive Garden is the shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii......!!!!
my fav restaurant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 03:14 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,925,395 times
Around here there is an authentic Italian restaurant on every corner. People I know laugh at the thought of eating at the OG. (and we have tons of "yuppies" in Ct., lol-who definitely wouldn't be caught dead in OG) We don't care for Italian food ourselves, but our dd loves pasta dishes. She ate at the OG once and thought it was terrible compared to "real" Italian food.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:17 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,487,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
A yuppie wouldn't be caught dead in Olive Garden.
Maybe not in your neck of the woods but I see alot of those 'dead 'people there all the time

Old 11-02-2008, 03:23 PM

424 posts, read 1,677,800 times
Back in 1980 or 1981 I was in one of the original market research focus groups that previewed the concepts for a restaurant concept that General Mills Restaurant Group was developing. That restaurant eventually opened on International Drive in Orlando in the former location of one of their other concepts, The Green Frog. The buidling itself was a test bed, multi-level, and a lot less like the farmhouse style that Olive Garden generally uses today. The idea was to have family-friendly Italian food served in a casual and inviting location...one that would invoke the idea of being in a somewhat rustic garden setting. The food was intended to be Italian without being overly seasoned, respresenting various styles and regions. It was intended to be affordable and a desitination for special occasions as well as for everyday dining. A place for family, friends, children, and adults was the goal, where everyone would feel at ease and not intimidated by the menu. Did they succeed? Yes. Is the menu fairly diverse? Yes. Is it affordable? Well, that depends on one's definition of the term. Is the food authentic...whatever THAT means? No, but then who really expects that in this. Is the food consistent? Yes, for the most part...it should be for the main dishes, etc., since the food is largely prepared in commisaries and shipped to the restaurants to be reheated. Is the food bad or unpleasant? No, there is generally something on the menu that would be at the very least tolerable by most potential guests. It is not fine dining, but then it is what it is, semi-institutional food served in a reasonably pleasant location. The only variables tend to be the level/quality of service and the ability of the kitchen personnel to reheat the prepared items shipped in to the restaurant. There are plenty of worse chain restaurants and some that are better.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:30 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,972,739 times
What I like about my local Olive Garden is that everytime I go there they are always playing a song by either Dean Martin or Frank Sinatra, to give it a real Italian American feel.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:43 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,219,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Maybe not in your neck of the woods but I see alot of those 'dead 'people there all the time
In Philly? Although my Olive Garden is one minute from Philly, but not Center City.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:37 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,128,165 times
I have found them to be variable. Some are excellent, others are so-so. I would put all of them I know in the range of 6-10 (Ten being in Ann Arbor MI).

I do have a special place for Olive Garden as being a class act. My wife once left her cashmere sweater (bought at Goodwill for $2) on her chair, and we phoned to ask them to send it to us. When we got home (several days later) it was waiting on our doorstep---they overnighted it!!!

Olive Garden is not intended to be (at least for me) an alternative to a genuine Italian restaurant. But if Im passing through an unfamiliar place, what are my chances of finding better Italian, instead of worse? Most restaurants, to me, are a disappointment. And most medium-sized cities do not have a decent Italian restaurant at all. Local inquiry will not help---you'll be sent to the Pizza Hut.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Portland, Oregon. Not going to Philly for love nor money...sorry!!!
They say northwesterners are probably the smartest in the country

Old 11-02-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
In Philly? Although my Olive Garden is one minute from Philly, but not Center City.
Center city has got some chains also. I've always been told the real authentic stuff is in south philly.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:04 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,474,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
IBut if Im passing through an unfamiliar place, what are my chances of finding better Italian, instead of worse? Most restaurants, to me, are a disappointment. And most medium-sized cities do not have a decent Italian restaurant at all. Local inquiry will not help---you'll be sent to the Pizza Hut.
Some years ago, while in San Francisco, discovering that all of the restaurants that we had planned to visit were closed down (this was pre-internet), we came upon a technique that works reliably in this situation, since we do NOT, when traveling, want to go to a restaurant that we could just as easily go to in our own town - that defeats the entire point of traveling, might as well stay home.

We stop someone walking down the street that looks local and ask them, "If you could eat at any restaurant within six blocks, where would it be?" If they rattle off a list of restaurants, or give us the name of a chain restaurant, we thank them politely and move on to another person. If their eyes light up and they enthusiastically tell us of a place, we try it. (We actually had one person in Berkeley tell us of a place with such obvious joy that we drove 75 miles up the coast, only to discover that it was closed for the season. However, the menu posted beside the door made us weep that we had missed it and acknowledge that if it had been open, it would have been more than worth the drive.)

So far, we haven't been disappointed with the results. And I AM a foodie, as is my husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink