Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 09:28 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times

Advertisements

This is my favorite fish recipe and you can use any kind of fish, we used Mahi-Maui....
Be sure to cut the dark red out of the Mahi-Mahi first thing. It can ruin the whole taste of this wonderful fish! You can't ruin this fish no matter how you cook it. I think the aspasagus would go wonderfully along with this dinner. Here is a bit of an involved recipe my husband uses:

4 filets

1 pound fresh horseradish root
1 orange skin grated
1 lemon skin grated
2 green onions chopped including the green
A small finger of fresh ginger grated

Mix all grated and chopped items together in large bowl.

1 cedar board (can buy at Harris Teeter). Need each cedar piece larger then the individual filets---each filet has it's own cedar piece. You can probably cut the cedar pieces to size if necessary. The cedar piece is like a little cooking plate.

cover cedar board with olive oil on the top
Place individual fish filets on each board.
place 1/4 mixture in bowl on top of each fish piece and board (like building a little dome on top).
Note: If you don't want it to be spicy from the horseradish cook right away--if you want spicy let it set for 15 minutes before cooking.
BBQ med. heat
If cedar does not smoke raise temperature
Cook for 20 minutes or until the horseradish carmalizes and looks like a merengue (browned).
Remove from plank and plate.

Sauce:
Squeeze orange juice and lemon
Put juice in a measuring cup
Add the same amount of Soy sauce to juice (50% juice and 50% soy sauce).
Spoon over fillets with horseradish on top!! Yum!!

It's odd but once the fresh horseradish camalizes it tastes a lot like coconut! It's an amazing flavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 09:32 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,448,141 times
If it's a good piece of fresh fish, you do not need to do much too it. Either throw it on the grill or put it in a frying pan with a little olive oil, maybe some butter, too.

That said, the above recipe sounds amazing!

Old 11-19-2008, 09:36 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
I have to admit my DH made this and it is my all time favorite. I have eaten many different kinds of fish all prepared in a variety of ways but this has to be the very best!!

Old 11-22-2008, 05:40 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
I love all fish - as long as it is cooked. My favorite is lobster. I prefer it broiled and stuffed with drawn clarified butter, but like it Cantonese style or any other way too.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:33 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,711,313 times
I make a delicious pan fried pesto salmon. I also loooooove fried catfish, baked trout, and shrimp scampi. Really, I love seafood.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:35 PM

124 posts, read 461,866 times
Love me some sushi. I also love fish tacos, and cajun fried catfish, and any kind of shellfish... I could go on and on. Seafood is delish!

Old 03-14-2013, 08:52 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I love all fish - as long as it is cooked. My favorite is lobster. I prefer it broiled and stuffed with drawn clarified butter, but like it Cantonese style or any other way too.
How do the cantonese fix a fish? I have never tried it -- the closest I cam was lunch at Lai Lai when the people at the next table had this enormous spread featuring an immense carp served whole and perched upright on a platter, like a pig only there was no apple in his mouth.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:00 AM

17,379 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Fresh caught red fish - blackened. In fact, fresh caught fish in general is usually pretty delicious. Frozen isn't quite the same, but I still enjoy it.

Lobster, crab legs, shrimp, scallops..

Prefer steamed, broiled, baked, pan blackened (depending on type of seafood) to fried.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:04 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Grilled Seabass stuffed with fennel and served with rice and a lemon drizzle

Monkfish wrapped in Parma Ham served with Wild mushroons and a red wine sauce

Fillets of Mackerel with beetroot and sour cream /dill dressing

Salmon with a Herb crust served with a homemade lemon Hollandaise and courgettes ( Zucchinis), broccoli and baby potatoes

A real authentic Paella with Mussels and King Prawns ( not fish I know but...)
Bouillabaisse ( The most delicious fish soup in the world)

Black Cod infused with Miso

Red Mullet , grilled with a fresh green salad

And of course Sashimi and Sushi.

Pretty much any fish really. I love it grilled , pan-fried, barbecued, steamed, in terrines, mousses, cold, hot . Fish is heaven !

I just wish we had more choice as over-fishing of certain species like Cod is becoming a real problem and we need to become better at our husbandry of the Seas. Plus it would be great to try different new tastes and flavours once in a while...

And Seafood , so much lovely, yummy seafood.... King Scallops, Mussels, Spider Crab, Snow Crab, Brown Crab, Shrimps, Langoustines, Prawns, Cockles, Winkles, Conch, Lobster,

I'll have what Mooseketeer is having!!! All of that is delicious and absolutely divine. I personally couldn't live without seafood in my life.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:22 AM

986 posts, read 1,666,301 times
I'm a big fan of Salmon and Halibut:

Salmon in Lemon-Dill Sauce Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Heavenly Halibut Recipe - Allrecipes.com

And then, there's nothing like good ole fried catfish from the Mississippi River!

Neely's Memphis-Style Catfish Recipe : Patrick and Gina Neely : Recipes : Food Network
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink