Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:19 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,628 times

Advertisements

A little early, but what the hey

Does anyone else do these? If so what do you make?
This year my in-laws have 10 different people in it. So that means pretty soon I'm gonna have to start making 20 dozen cookies (2 dozen each)
I make chocolate mint cookies (I think I make the best ones lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 06:06 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
We have friends who do something similar, but with a very unique twist. Each year, usually the first weekend of December, they gather about a dozen or fifteen people together at their home for a massive cookie-baking marathon.

It starts early in the morning, and generally takes until late afternoon for all the batches to come out of the oven and the kitchen to get cleaned up. Each participant brings ingredients to prepare one or two varieties of cookies, and some of us bring extra cookie sheets, Kitchen Aid mixers and other supplies as well. Often folks will make up one variety in advance to bring already finished, and just prepare a single variety there at the house (that's generally what we do, to reduce the demand on oven time and space).

It is absolutely a blast; we see folks we only see a few times a year, and everyone gets along surprisingly well. Our friends who host the thing have a large and beautiful kitchen with lots and lots of workspace and two ovens, and they both love preparing food with friends. It's always the first major holiday event for us, and it sets the tone wonderfully well for the rest of the month.

As to what we'll be making, I've gotten several requests for some wickedly rich and decadent fruitcake cookies that I made for the first time last year, so I'll take those. I found an almond-poppy seed cookie in the latest Penzey's catalog that I want to try. Or I might possibly make tiny pecan tarts, though as one person has a nut allergy, I'd have to get creative to get around that. I'm thinking Grape Nuts cereal might work as a crunchy substitute for small pecan pieces. I'm going to experiment a little this weekend and see which comes out better.

The spouse is probably going to be making Pan de Polvo, also known as Biscochitos, which is a very short, rich cookie that we remember from South Texas. And he's also thinking about making bourbon balls, which are nice because they're no-bake cookies, hence wouldn't be any competition for oven space.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:11 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,787,312 times
Default Cookie exchange

I recall my wife a number of years back joined in on the neighborhood cookie exchange. She started out with the basic recipe and then decided to alter it as most cooks usually do. They came out great, but only after 5 more batches of guessing what she put into that first batch!.....

Old 11-25-2008, 07:00 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Our neighborhood used to have one every year. Most of the other women made identical sugar cookies, there wasn't a lot of variety. I made cookies like date nut cookies (similar to chocolate chip cookies), and "lace" cookies dipped in chocolate. I do miss those get-togethers. The younger women who moved into the neighborhood just never seemed interested in attending them, so we stopped them alogether. And it's not like I am old, I am only 44.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:17 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Ahh fond memories of when I use to do this with 3 other friends each year. We spent one day doing cookies the following day making candy and our spouses had to fend for themselves but usually brought us fast food to eat during a short break.

andthentherewere3 it seems around here the younger people don't want to get together for such things too. Shame because it is fun times, we get a lot more done with so many hands and all families enjoyed the goodies.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:04 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
The younger women who moved into the neighborhood just never seemed interested in attending them, so we stopped them alogether. And it's not like I am old, I am only 44.
What a shame; I'm 29 and my sister in law is 20, we obviously like them. But it is too bad more young people don't like them...we all have a blast.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:23 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,703 times
I tried my first one last year and it was a flop....I invited a lot of women...I reached out to some people who were just casual friends, thinking it would be a great idea. I had a very low response. Then on the night of my party, there was a terrible storm. I postponed it until the next night and some people who couldn't attend sent cookies so they could still participate in the exchange. I think it is a fun idea and would love to participate if I were invited, but I don't think I'll be doing it again.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:32 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
When I lived in PA and briefly here, did that and loved it.

We all made a variety (2-4 types each but dozens of each to trade): there were thumbprints, some of those I forget the name: a metal thing you fried them on, many I don't know the name of. I honestly don't recall sugar cookies other than those that were beautifully iced or decorated - no cheapo stamped out cookie cutters ones.

I always made candy cane cookies (labor intensive but yummy).

Would be nice to revive that again.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:46 PM

625 posts, read 1,586,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Our neighborhood used to have one every year. Most of the other women made identical sugar cookies, there wasn't a lot of variety. I made cookies like date nut cookies (similar to chocolate chip cookies), and "lace" cookies dipped in chocolate. I do miss those get-togethers. The younger women who moved into the neighborhood just never seemed interested in attending them, so we stopped them alogether. And it's not like I am old, I am only 44.
ONLY 44.....dang, you're ancient......44 years old; good grief.....geriatrics cookie brigade...that means you were born in 1964, why that's.....the same year I was born......why you're just a sweet young thing, them silly girls don't know what they missed do they

Old 11-25-2008, 08:06 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
A little early, but what the hey

Does anyone else do these? If so what do you make?
This year my in-laws have 10 different people in it. So that means pretty soon I'm gonna have to start making 20 dozen cookies (2 dozen each)
I make chocolate mint cookies (I think I make the best ones lol)
What's the recipe? Sounds amazing. Mint and chocolate is a wonderful combination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink