Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who cooks in your home?
He does. 10 37.04%
She does. 17 62.96%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 01:52 AM

505 posts, read 1,664,039 times

Advertisements

I love food. I love to cook and I love experimenting with ingredients, shopping for that perfect bowl or plate, decorating the kitchen table, or getting that perfect utensil or splurge on the latest innovative kitchen technology. I just love the sensation of taste. I am also a man.

So when we have guests over for dinner and they compliment my wife for the food where she laughs loudly with a "Oh no, no. I don't do food. Talk to him," I get this really odd look like my wife's the butch and I'm the b*tch.

My wife really cannot cook. She even screws up on scrambled eggs it's a pity. Am I the only guy that cooks for his family? And is it unmanly to do so?

So who cooks in your family by a show of hands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 03:30 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,738 times
My hubby also is the cook in our house. He does so well that I now need to go on a diet.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:33 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,461 times
I do the majority of the cooking. My wife isn't a bad cook, but she doesn't have the greatest kitchen instincts and tends to be a recipe follower. If I follow a recipe at all, I deconstruct it and look for the 'why' so it makes sense to me. I'm also much better at multitasking.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:56 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,795 times
I do alot of the cooking and I like doing it. Wife doesn't like to cook, when she does it's always "plain jane" or boring stuff(my opinion).

Most of the meals I cook are on the grill/smoker, meat, veg, and anything that can be made in the oven. If I cook too many meals in a row the kids start asking for "normal food". Daughter says I'd smoke spaghetti if I could......so I now have a challenge.

I know alot of guys who do the cook'n, my generation anyway(30-50yr olds). My parents generation has mostly the women cooking, in our area anyway.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:11 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
While both my spouse and I can and do cook, he does the vast majority (probably 85% or more) of the cooking in our family.

I'm a plodder. I'm "Old Faithful." The chicken-fried steaks and lasagna and stroganoff that I make can be counted on to come out the same way each time. I don't dislike cooking by any means, but it is not a passion, or an art form, to me.

In contrast, my spouse is perpetually looking for new things to prepare, new seasoning combinations to explore, new methods to try. He doesn't ever prepare the same thing the same way twice: there's always a new twist. And he is truly passionate about cooking; for him, cooking represents one of the greatest pleasures in life, and is the way he expresses his creativity and love.

Since we both have full-time professional jobs outside the home, it is no more fair for him to both cook and wash up afterward than it would be for me to do both tasks. So the agreement we've had for decades is that whoever cooks is exempt from the KP duties after the meal. That means that I wash a lot of dishes, but I consider it a reasonable trade-off.

We both had parents who were born in the teens and twenties of the last century, and of course the model we both had was that the mother ALWAYS cooked and washed up. That was true whether or not she enjoyed it, whether or not she worked outside the home, and regardless of what the outcome tasted like. A father's place was in his easy chair in the living room with the newspaper. I'm glad to be living at a time when it's culturally acceptable for the person who most loves to cook in the family to do so, regardless of gender.

The spouse has passed his love of cooking on to the next generation as well. We have a son and a daughter, both mid-20's, and they are both very proficient cooks in their own right. The son, who is still in college, has an arrangement with four of his female friends, whereby the five of them go grocery shopping together, he tells them exactly what to buy, they pay for it, then he prepares a gourmet meal that they all enjoy together. And the girls clean up afterward, too.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:21 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
Me!!! Main chef and bottle washer!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:29 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
Me now. It used to be hubby when we were first married. I couldn't boil water to save my life. Hubby then took a job working nights so it was either starve or learn to cook. I'm still hear so I guess I have learned enough to not kill my family with botulism. LOL

Old 12-02-2008, 08:32 AM

714 posts, read 2,305,563 times
I can cook, but it puts me in a foul mood. And I'm not a good cook.

My husband loves to cook. He doesn't know how to clean for crap, though. So the deal is that he cooks and I clean.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:01 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
I am the one with the passion for cooking, so I do most of it. I get to do most of the dishes, too.

I like experimenting - either by buying a vegetable I've never seen/prepared before, or learning to make favorite international foods at home. I reserve that cooking for weekends, mostly, and prepare simple reliable things during the week.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:12 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I cook. He grills.

He grills unless there's actual snow on the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink