Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which soft-drink is the
Coca-Cola 32 32.99%
Dr. Pepper 30 30.93%
R.C. Cola 15 15.46%
Mountain Dew 1 1.03%
Pepsi 7 7.22%
Other (please name) 12 12.37%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:22 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times

Advertisements

Well, when I was a kid in WV in the early 60s we had Dr. P. in the small glass bottles with the clock on it, and RC Cola. I loved Dr. P, it was a real treat for me. It doesn't have the same taste to me as an adult. But then I loved candy corn as a kid, and Sugar Babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 08:39 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I don't think Dr. Pepper is big all over the South. From what I've noticed, it disappears from the menus and soda fountains once you head east into Alabama, and it's practically blasphemy to ask for DP in Georgia. I got some strange looks from the waiters there when I asked for it. That being said, I think Coca Cola is the drink of the South. Dr. Pepper seems to be more of a Texas thing.

Yeah, Westerner, I think you make a good point here (as did several others). When I spoke of Dr. Pepper being popular all over the South, I meant it relatively speaking and going by general marketing sales which I have gleaned from some salesmen over the years talking in terms of large regional markets. That is to say, it is much more likely to be found in Alabama than Arizona...something like that.

But still, as you say, its relative rank in terms of percentage sales with Coke (or maybe even R.C.) in the Deep South (at least east of the Mississippi) ranks verrrry low as compared to Texas (and Oklahoma, Arkansas, etc)

Old 01-02-2009, 08:46 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Oh well if that's the case, the answer is probably Coca-Cola. I don't think Dr. Pepper is big in the rest of the south outside of Texas and maybe Oklahoma if you want to call that the South.
Mr. Pibb (or Pibb Extra since the lawsuit) is more popular than Dr. Pepper in the South.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:55 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
^^^ So true. As a Texas Boy, when I was living in the ATL, I cannot count how many times I would ask for a DP and hear "We don't have DP, we have Mr. Pibb".

Old 01-02-2009, 09:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
In Louisiana in the 1950's, if you said "Gimme a Coke", the guy at the counter wouild say "What kind", and you'd say root beer, or orange, or whatever. Coke was a generic word like pop or soda. If you really wanted a genuine Coke, you'd say "Coke Cola". Coca Cola had not yet copyrighted the word "Coke" and it was not on their label yet.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:45 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
^^^ So true. As a Texas Boy, when I was living in the ATL, I cannot count how many times I would ask for a DP and hear "We don't have DP, we have Mr. Pibb".
That's an interesting observation.

I remember back in 1973 or so (I was working at a bait shop that sold both coke and beer! LOL), when Mr. Pibb was introduced by the Coke people. We DID end up carrying it...but it never caught on at all, really. It was "cheaper" in terms of price, as it went, but never matched Dr. Peppers popularity.

Anyway, the reason it came out at all was that Dr. Pepper was so gaining on Coca-Cola in many parts of the the South -- especially in Texas and western parts -- that they came out with a product which very closely resembled it in terms of taste to slow it down for sales.

Here is a link which might kinda back this all up, although yeah, Wiki is not to be considered a true source...

Pibb Xtra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Still, a lot of what is written up in the Wiki article is not at all far from what I remember Coke and Dr. Pepper salesmen -- of the time -- saying in just the candid talk as to what and why...

Last edited by TexasReb; 01-02-2009 at 10:03 PM..

Old 01-02-2009, 09:56 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
They're the same thing (at least to me but my mom swears by DP). In the national chains,like KFC, you can't get Coca-Cola but you can DP and Pepsi products.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:14 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Since this poll isn't about what our personal favorites, I can't see how it can be anything but Coca-Cola.

Here's the map showing what term people around the country use when referring to carbonated beverages. Across the South (except in NC where Pepsi was invented and where Cheerwine is hugely popular) people say "Coke." Even in Texas.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:21 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
I've always called it soda because I was always aware of different soft drinks out there and I thought that saying pop was weird.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:28 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,882 times
^^^Well that map says it all! Seriously in La, I believe coke-cola is number 1 followed by DP (esp. diet doc). Maybe not throughout the state but at least in this corner. Frankly I'v e never seen the hullabaloo over RC (and moon pies) in modern times. Might be more legend to it in these parts. Oh don't get me wrong, they're good; it's just that I don't think about RC and moon consiously enough. I'm stating this based on a poll in trashcans and litter along the roadside as to what I see is most favored! Very scientific.

I see moonpies in stores everywhere around here but RC can be a little hard to find at times. For a treat that's seldom found outside tha South, how bout' DELAWARE PUNCH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink