Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:10 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times

Advertisements

I've made both chips and fries from sweet potatoes, I prefer them to white. But home made chips need to be eaten promptly, either sweet or white potatoes, they don't keep well. Good excuse to pig out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 08:48 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,571 times
Silly question, I only saw a minute of this today.

Those chips that I see at the store, the colorful ones that look just like hers - are those veggie chips too?

Someone mentioned using white potatoes too. What else can one make chips from? Perhaps zucchini?

Old 01-20-2009, 08:57 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,303 times
Fried sage leaves are amazingly delicious! They crisp up and just melt in your mouth, and the taste is milder and softer than fresh sage.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:52 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,970,106 times
I make sweet potato fries a lot and they are really delicious. I put my slices in a plastic bag with some EVOO, sea salt, pepper and some spices. Mix them up making sure they're all covered. Take them out of the bag and put them on a cookie sheet. Bake 375 or until done.

I have never made sweet potato chips. I do like the Tera Chips brand.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:09 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella52 View Post
I was watching Giada today and it was about sending a care package to her niece in college. She made beet chips and sweet potato chips. They looked interesting.

She used a mandolin to slice them thin and didn't peel either one. After frying she added kosher salt, minced garlic and chopped fresh rosemary that she mixed together. Has anyone ever made them or tasted them

I'm really wanting to make these now

Just curious...what is a mandolin....I'm jsut getting the instrument when I google....

Old 01-22-2009, 10:15 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Just curious...what is a mandolin....I'm jsut getting the instrument when I google....
It is a flat kitchen devise with a blade protruding that allows you to slice thinly.

Warning: While I like mandolins in commercial and home kitchens. It can be VERY dangerous if you don't use all of the safety devices.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:24 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Try this:
Mandolines and Other Slicers

It's actually spelled 'mandoline.' My gran called hers a kraut cutter, and I have a couple. One is a big old wooden one that actually would work for cutting cabbage into kraut, the other is a plastic one with interchangeable blades, so it cuts everything from chips to french fries to julienne strips. The ones on the websites are outrageously expensive [IMO] but that may be because I got both of mine for about .25 each at thrift shops.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:36 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,417,496 times
whoops, sorry about the spelling. I have one but never use it. It's so much faster in the food processor with the slicing blade

Old 01-22-2009, 11:33 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
has anyone actually sliced a raw sweet potato w/a mandoline?

I've got a pretty high end one and as far as I recall it could not slice a raw sweet potato. It was a disaster, and dangerous if you ask me.

Was the potato partially cooked?

I have bought sweet potato chips at Trader Joes, YUM! but homemade would be much better, if I could get a good way to slice them w/out the possibility of losing a finger.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:51 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,060,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
has anyone actually sliced a raw sweet potato w/a mandoline?

I've got a pretty high end one and as far as I recall it could not slice a raw sweet potato. It was a disaster, and dangerous if you ask me.

Was the potato partially cooked?

I have bought sweet potato chips at Trader Joes, YUM! but homemade would be much better, if I could get a good way to slice them w/out the possibility of losing a finger.
I just slice with a knife if baking them, you can get them thin enough if you have a good knife!

Did you peel the potato before using your mandoline? The skin is fibrous and maybe would catch in the blade....?

Or try slicing at a diagonal angle, so you get a longer chip...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink