Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 12:30 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,846,985 times

Advertisements

Someone in my family opened up a new box of cereal a couple days ago, a regular-sized box, and there were two separate bags of the same cereal in it. It's supposedly for convenience/more freshness, but really they're just giving you less cereal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 07:00 AM

95 posts, read 244,985 times
Yes, it seem there's some sort of conspiracy going on in the food industry. Rather than going up in prices and causing all kinds of bad publicity for the manufacturers, they've decided to reduce the package sizes. They do this by changing up the product in terms of repackaging it, making it different (all new, improved, new greener packaging). They think they're fooling everyone with this. Well, consumers have been around since there were consumer goods to consume... Whole lot of consuming going on .... There will always be smart shoppers.

I have noticed that since everyone's trying to become healthy or at least healthier, more people are reading the ingredients on the package. Of course it says how much the item weighs and how many servings. So more people know about this than in times past.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:27 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times
It is not only in food...I always buy Scotties tissues hypo-allergenic and I believe they have always had 280 in the box....They now have 250 and they are much thinner so it takes two or three tissues now to accomplish what one did.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:39 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,079 times
I dont think the size has changed but i noticed cans of Tuna used to be 2 for 1$
Now its like 77 cents each.Seems like everything has gone up just in last year or 2.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:35 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I dont think the size has changed but i noticed cans of Tuna used to be 2 for 1$
Now its like 77 cents each.Seems like everything has gone up just in last year or 2.

I buy solid white in water, whichever one is on sale, and those cans went from 6 oz. to 5 oz. Of course the price also went up.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:33 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Several months ago I contacted Scot tissue about their decreased quality in their TP. They sent me a bunch of coupons for other products they sell we tried other TP's but I wasn't happy when a roll wasn't lasting even one day around here. So months went by I bought Scot again found it not as thin "sheeted" but did notice the length of the rolls were shorter.

I agree I would rather they raise the prices and keep an honest weight volume for things. On rare occasions when I buy Campbell's soup I absolutely hate the pull off top cans. You can't get all the cream of soup out easily and the pull tops had to raise their package pricing.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:38 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
... On rare occasions when I buy Campbell's soup I absolutely hate the pull off top cans. You can't get all the cream of soup out easily and the pull tops had to raise their package pricing.
Me too Another problem, I keep cans on a basement shelf pantry where dust gathers (despite my best attempts). You can't wipe off the top of a pull to can before opening it

Old 02-23-2009, 09:11 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Me too Another problem, I keep cans on a basement shelf pantry where dust gathers (despite my best attempts). You can't wipe off the top of a pull to can before opening it
There's this great new invention called a kitchen faucet...

...I mean really, just rinse the darn thing off.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:37 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,711,313 times
I've noticed that generic brands don't seem to be shrinking as much. I'm switching to those as much as possible unless we have a great deal on brand name.

Also, 12 packs of coke at Shoppers are now 2 for $9!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY?! I'm NOT paying $4.50 for a case of damn cokes.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:21 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
I've noticed that generic brands don't seem to be shrinking as much. I'm switching to those as much as possible unless we have a great deal on brand name.

Also, 12 packs of coke at Shoppers are now 2 for $9!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY?! I'm NOT paying $4.50 for a case of damn cokes.
Ahem you would be paying $9.00 for a case if the price is 2- 12 packs for $9.00. Isn't it 24 cans per case still? I don't know we don't buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink