Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 12:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
They are probably ramping up to defend themselves against Lidl, which is entering the US market. These companies are not only quite good at what they do, they treat their employees WAY better than the US grocery chains. It is amazing how they can do what they do. I know my local Aldi was hiring at $13 an hour to start with full benefits and more, which is much better than the crap pay at Walmart and Target. Oh and I am in Pittsburgh, which is a pretty reasonable place to live. Not sure what the start pay would be in the larger markets.
I agree with some of what you say, but Walmart hires at around $10 or $11 now and look at some of the checkers they hire. Many of the checkers at WalMart could never be hired at Aldi's. Aldi's checkers amaze me. They are so fast and know exactly what they are doing. Our Aldi's I think pays $12 to start. I just saw an help wanted sign a few days ago. I don't know how much Target pays; I was under them impression they paid fairly well. The interesting thing is: I am talking about the quality of Aldi's employees and it reminds of the quality of those working at Trader Joe's. Amazing, they are owned by the same family. I think that does tell us something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 12:43 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,060,155 times
We just got an Aldi so we gave them a try. Came back out with nothing. It wasn't that we had an exotic list or that they only carry their brand but that the selection is pathetic. An example- soup. You want tomato soup or chicken noodle then the price is great. You want any other kind of soup, well they don't have it. And I can't use bulk packs of product. No way to store that much and it will go to waste. Be happy to use them if they expand the variety and package size.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:57 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
We just got an Aldi so we gave them a try. Came back out with nothing. It wasn't that we had an exotic list or that they only carry their brand but that the selection is pathetic. An example- soup. You want tomato soup or chicken noodle then the price is great. You want any other kind of soup, well they don't have it. And I can't use bulk packs of product. No way to store that much and it will go to waste. Be happy to use them if they expand the variety and package size.
I couldn't have said it better.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:13 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,423,521 times
Never gonna happen, small stores, bad selection, can't even remotely compete with real grocery stores.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:24 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,467 times
I buy probably 80% of our groceries at Aldi. Great prices, decent selection for the "basics". I agree that their produce department could be improved. It's not that the selection is limited (it's improved lately) but the bananas and apples, the two main staples in our house, are not reliably good. Bananas are either not ripe or go bad quickly. Apples are often soft.

I do like that they treat their employees well. They always seem happy and friendly when I go there.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:37 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Food Lion said the same thing.Not going to happen Aldi stores are dirty and the service stinks.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:51 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
They are probably ramping up to defend themselves against Lidl, which is entering the US market. These companies are not only quite good at what they do, they treat their employees WAY better than the US grocery chains. It is amazing how they can do what they do. I know my local Aldi was hiring at $13 an hour to start with full benefits and more, which is much better than the crap pay at Walmart and Target. Oh and I am in Pittsburgh, which is a pretty reasonable place to live. Not sure what the start pay would be in the larger markets.

I honestly don't know what they pay but everything else about Aldi I know to be incorrect.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:52 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
No worries, no Aldi's around here and they aren't likely to get here, either. 2,500 miles of ocean and expensive real estate saves us from all sorts of start ups.

I have been to one when visiting some relatives on the mainland, it didn't seem overly fancy of a grocery store but the prices were good on what they did have. They didn't seem to carry all that much high end stuff, either. We also visited a Grocery Outlet and that store was a bit odd in their selections, but they were more interesting. Good prices, odd but mostly interesting stock.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:44 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
It's funny many like to say they don't shop Walmart
But most all grocery chains are chasing them ( that sell on price)

Walmart sells more groceries than any other chain by a huge margin

If you step back and look at the different
Grocery chains this reflects the beauty of capitalism

Remember the lines in the ussr and they would take what little the government had??

Whatever motive any of us has for food well beyond survival we can choose
To shop at that store. From a Whole Foods to a farmers market to a Walmart to a traditional supermarket

I just left a supermarket and they had college age exchange workers from Russia
And other countries - after I was introduced to them I asked what do they like most over here they all laughed and said fast food but then said grocery stores like this they don't have

I asked what they didn't like and they said. Why is everyone in such a hurry? You have so much but don't stop to enjoy it-

Aldis. Is one of many many supermarkets that may be a dinosaur in another decade
So much competition for the food dollar from online buying to home delivery to specialty shops

We are quite spoiled by all the choices we have

Old 07-13-2017, 02:50 PM

344 posts, read 551,241 times
The real threat is Wegman's. If they can expand and keep the quality they will tromp everyone else.

Aldi has nothing I want, been there, walked out. I read labels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink