Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2014, 07:59 AM

17,555 posts, read 39,200,231 times

Advertisements

ALDI has become practically my #1 grocery shopping store. Their products are great quality and soooo cheap! They have fantastic chips - their kettle potato chips, veggie chips and corn chips ALL surpass the top brands, and at a fraction of the price.

They now have a wonderful organic line, I buy the bacon, pasta sauce, pasta, produce (including all kinds of lettuces), cereal and broth.

Other things I love there are GREAT cheeses (again, so cheap!), great wine for cheap, chocolates, frozen specialty pizzas (from Europe) in the freezer case (these are usually "special buy"), frozen veggies and berries, Greek yogurt, hummus, salsa, guacamole, nuts, spices, tuna packs and probably more that I am forgetting.

I buy as much as I can there, and then fill in from my higher priced grocery. Like others, I do not buy my meats there, that is one thing that is NOT good quality (except the bacon).

Anyone who hasn't tried ALDI should give it a shot. I didn't go for the longest time because I thought it would be a nasty discount place like Sav-A-Lot (which I hate) but it is not that at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 09:08 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,780,324 times
ick, I can't stand ours, Sav A Lot is much better.....JMHO

Old 06-16-2014, 09:21 AM

16,404 posts, read 30,328,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Other things I love there are GREAT cheeses (again, so cheap!), great wine for cheap, chocolates, frozen specialty pizzas (from Europe) in the freezer case (these are usually "special buy"), frozen veggies and berries, Greek yogurt, hummus, salsa, guacamole, nuts, spices, tuna packs and probably more that I am forgetting.

I buy as much as I can there, and then fill in from my higher priced grocery. Like others, I do not buy my meats there, that is one thing that is NOT good quality (except the bacon).

Anyone who hasn't tried ALDI should give it a shot. I didn't go for the longest time because I thought it would be a nasty discount place like Sav-A-Lot (which I hate) but it is not that at all.

1) I think that they are starting to address the meats at this point. I am starting to see some changes in the meat department in terms of selection and the like.

2) It used to be a nasty little grocery store with cashiers with a surly attitude. That issue has been addressed.

3) I am waiting until they bring over the fresh bread machines that they are using in Germany. Those stores offer fresh bread, right from the oven during all store hours.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:27 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,259,371 times
Thumbs up Hummus at Aldi's

Great tasting and well priced for a tub. Roasted Garlic and a Roasted Red pepper Hummus for only a $1.99.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:40 PM

20,955 posts, read 28,486,217 times
I love Aldi's hummus. Great price. In fact I am going there this weekend. Haven't been there in 6 months and I'd like to cut down on my spending at the grocery. I can get $100 worth of groceries there for $65.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:51 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,716,433 times
US Aldis? After two times of finding debris in their frozen vegetables I won't buy anything of theirs.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:10 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,259,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
US Aldis? After two times of finding debris in their frozen vegetables I won't buy anything of theirs.

As with any store YMMV.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:56 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,839,707 times
I used to not like Aldi as I found stale foods and old proficiency. But it's changed in the last two years and now with all new stuff including organic, it's my favorite store. We love their hummus too.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:36 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,821,202 times
I've actually spoken with a couple of people who brag about how they shop at Trader Joe's all the time, but think Aldi's is "beneath them" and only for poor people.

I guess in the midst of their snobbery, they failed to noticed that Aldi's and Trader Joe's are both run by the same company.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:05 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,716,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I've actually spoken with a couple of people who brag about how they shop at Trader Joe's all the time, but think Aldi's is "beneath them" and only for poor people.

I guess in the midst of their snobbery, they failed to noticed that Aldi's and Trader Joe's are both run by the same company.
Completely different companies that happen to be owned by brothers....brothers that don't even get along so well.

Both stores have completely different sourcing and mindset. They are not the same at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink