Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 02:56 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of people who say they hate Walmart, and yet, I see them there all the time.
I admittedly used to shun Walmart too except for engine oil (they do have the best price); however, after moving to ID and having a choice of Smith's too small and Fred Meyer too far away (both owned by Kroger); and two other stores Ridleys (filthy) and Winco (worthless and dirty), I started going to Walmart and now do almost all my shopping (for food and oil).
I still go to Smith's for meat and prescriptions. (And Walmart has self-serve check out and it moves fast.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 03:12 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
I really like Aldi but I don't buy my meat or much produce there.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:19 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
We just got an Aldi so we gave them a try. Came back out with nothing. It wasn't that we had an exotic list or that they only carry their brand but that the selection is pathetic. An example- soup. You want tomato soup or chicken noodle then the price is great. You want any other kind of soup, well they don't have it. And I can't use bulk packs of product. No way to store that much and it will go to waste. Be happy to use them if they expand the variety and package size.
Pretty much the same model as Trader Joes (who are owned by Aldi) and I have to fight my way through the aisles at every Trader Joes I go to because they are so ridiculously crowded. Also a similar model to Costco in terms of selection and I also have to fight off people there just to get into the parking lot. If the prices are right and food is quality then people will shop there and go to another store for other things they need. The problem with Aldi is that the quality is on par with the price where as Costco and Trader Joes I feel like I'm getting great quality compared to low prices I pay.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:25 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree with some of what you say, but Walmart hires at around $10 or $11 now and look at some of the checkers they hire. Many of the checkers at WalMart could never be hired at Aldi's. Aldi's checkers amaze me. They are so fast and know exactly what they are doing. Our Aldi's I think pays $12 to start. I just saw an help wanted sign a few days ago. I don't know how much Target pays; I was under them impression they paid fairly well. The interesting thing is: I am talking about the quality of Aldi's employees and it reminds of the quality of those working at Trader Joe's. Amazing, they are owned by the same family. I think that does tell us something.
As much as I agree with you about Walmart, I do have to say that the checkers at Aldi's don't have to put anything in a bag or a box. You do that yourself. I think that is the main thing that makes them so much quicker.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:49 PM

8,071 posts, read 4,747,652 times
Aldi also has many less employees due to their smaller footprint, allowing the company to pay a bit more. Also, the employees get paid more because they are asked to do more--stocking, cashiering, unloading trucks, sweeping up--rather than being hired to do one particular duty during their entire shift the way WalMart and stores of that size do. Aldi isn't paying them more $$$ simply to be generous; the employees have to be able to juggle multiple duties and not fall back on others to pick up the slack.

Every time a newcomer enters the market and shows promise, we hear this "they're going to take over!" hype. Rarely do they live up to such hype. Aldi's might assume some market share by doing what they do (just as other specialty grocers do), but it's not the zero-sum game that business reporters want to make it out to be. The grocery industry is too vast and complicated to write about in simplistic terms. I recall a few years ago this "they're going to take over!" hype surrounded the Dollar General and Family Dollar chains as they expanded their grocery offerings, and though they carved out a specific niche, they didn't "knock off" the larger chains, much less revolutionize the discount grocery business as some claimed they would.

Simply put, there is room in the grocery industry for lots of different approaches, and just because one business model gains a following does not necessarily spell the end of others.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:55 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedy View Post
The real threat is Wegman's. If they can expand and keep the quality they will tromp everyone else.

Aldi has nothing I want, been there, walked out. I read labels.
I lived right by a Wegmans in VA about 8 years ago. That was a life changing experience. I have never experienced another grocery store like that and probably never will because I don't see them ever coming to CA

Old 07-13-2017, 04:15 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Aldi also has many less employees due to their smaller footprint, allowing the company to pay a bit more. Also, the employees get paid more because they are asked to do more--stocking, cashiering, unloading trucks, sweeping up--rather than being hired to do one particular duty during their entire shift the way WalMart and stores of that size do. Aldi isn't paying them more $$$ simply to be generous; the employees have to be able to juggle multiple duties and not fall back on others to pick up the slack.

Every time a newcomer enters the market and shows promise, we hear this "they're going to take over!" hype. Rarely do they live up to such hype. Aldi's might assume some market share by doing what they do (just as other specialty grocers do), but it's not the zero-sum game that business reporters want to make it out to be. The grocery industry is too vast and complicated to write about in simplistic terms. I recall a few years ago this "they're going to take over!" hype surrounded the Dollar General and Family Dollar chains as they expanded their grocery offerings, and though they carved out a specific niche, they didn't "knock off" the larger chains, much less revolutionize the discount grocery business as some claimed they would.

Simply put, there is room in the grocery industry for lots of different approaches, and just because one business model gains a following does not necessarily spell the end of others.
( 2ND PARAGRAPH )

Nowhere in the OP's link did I read where Aldi's had expectations of " taking over"

It just stated if Aldi's reaches its goal of expanded store numbers by 2020, it would become the 3rd biggest.

key words........if, goal , 3rd,

Old 07-13-2017, 04:18 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
We buy one thing from Aldi: Choceur Milk Chocolate and Hazelnut Wafers.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:31 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Well, I for one, wish Winn Dixie would die. This chain ate up 'Sweet Bay' not long ago, and did nothing but destroy not only food but service. If Aldi offers better, so be it.
That was a sad day when we lost Sweet Bay. I don't usually compliment grocery stores but Sweet Bay had it all! Winn Dixie? Smh....

Old 07-13-2017, 05:04 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,100,522 times
I tried Aldi soon after one opened near me. Very disapointed in the produce, meat and dairy areas. Those display were very small and had excessive condensation. The rest of the product was packaged food I don't eat. It reminded me of a food bank where I used to volunteer.
I know some people really like it but it's not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink