Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 08:35 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times

Advertisements

I think all those brands are more common in communities with larger Spanish communities. We had them all in NYC, but none here in the supermarkets.

I'll have to check on that plastic press.

You are filled with great ideas.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
There are other inexpensive brands of espresso roast at the store that I've found as palatable as Bustello: the Publix brand, which does neither of you any good, but Cafe La Llave, and Cafe Aguila are just fine in my book. In fact all of the Latin coffees, regardless how inexpensive, have tasted better (imo) than Folgers or Maxwell House "french roast".

And OTR, good camping stores sell very handy plastic coffee presses that become your drinking mug. Wish I had one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 08:45 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
What about Community Coffee ? It's from Louisiana. I used to buy it at Kroger. Different roast, but rich. No chicory in it either, something I'm not crazy about, though some folks are.

Let me correct myself. You can buy it online, with or without chicory or in the single serving pack.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:48 PM

This coming week, I'm going over to the more ethnic markets to see what I find. Pittsburgh is not known for its "food."

I've not seen much in the way of brands, and the Food-Coop is getting about $11-13/lb. Kind of pricey!

Quote:
What about Community Coffee ? It's from Louisiana. I used to buy it at Kroger. Different roast, but rich. No chicory in it either, something I'm not crazy about, though some folks are.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:06 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
the best cup of coffee ive had, came from an idea off the cooking channel, take fresh bean ground coffee (dunkin donuts is fine)

take hot water from the stove kettle, pour it into a filter and filter holding gadget, will drip right into your coffee mug, add some baileys,(irish cream) and whipped cream (and cream and sugar if you prefer)
ive always used auto-drips in the past, but i do believe bacteria, builds up bigtime ,(in the auto-drips) all the water doesnt pour out of them, and it affects the taste.
in the summer when its hot,,,add some kahlua, and some mint chocolate chip ice cream,,,all in a blender and thats very good also!

Old 04-01-2007, 09:24 AM

Bacteria? Hmm, that's a thought...haven't given it much thought. I must have built up a strong immunity and my coffee still tastes good. I might look inside the little sucker and see if anything's growing. Wash it out with vinegar or something.

Mainey, why are you worried anyway? All that baileys and kahlua should kill most of the germs.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I am able to get Community Coffee here sometimes. It's decent.
My favorite bean is Sumatra, but Guatemalan is good too. I don't much care for French Roast.
Anyway, our grinder is in storage.
I think the next time I am in the "big city" (Panama City ) I will pick up a French press.
I used to have one of those little individual drip coffee filter thingies, a little plastic doodad that fit over a coffee cup, and had filters which fit it. It made pretty darned good coffee.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:05 AM

I knew about the bacteria.

Now alcohol and coffee are great after dinner, but as I am a 2-4 cup person/per day, I'd be rolling through my day--wouldn't work, so I'll try some other solutions: better water and another brand.

I don't like French Roast too much either--it has a bitter taste. I do like French Colombian though, and my NYC coffee store had a good stock of this at around $5.99/lb.

Do you refrigerate or freeze your coffee?

And how about tablespoon ratio to water?

Just wondering?

And thanks all!

Old 04-01-2007, 12:29 PM

Man, you're a lot of trouble.

I went to the kitchen, got my special Illy espresso scoop that someone gave me for Christmas, had no idea how much it measured. Put in one level scoop, transferred to to a regular measuring spoon = 1 tablespoon. I use one heaping Illy scoop, which has a smaller diameter than a traditional measuring spoon, and no, I did not measure how much a heap is...

My petite Mr. Coffee holds exactly 2 1/2 cups, not coffee cups, standard English liquid measuring cups of water. The bacteria take up virtually no extra room and I like them, nice pets.

So the equation is 2 heaping tablespoons of Cafe Bustelo coffee grounds to 2 and 1/2 cups of water. That makes respectable every day morning coffee, on my planet, planet Ellie.

And no freeze, no refrigeration. 1 can lasts a week or so, and no I don't keep notes on exactly how long 10 oz. coffee lasts, every day is a little different, sometimes I make a second pot in the afternoon, etc., etc.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:31 PM

Ellie, I was told recently that I am "high maintenance."

Many thanks for taking the time to figure out those measurements. Even though I am a pain, I am a grateful pain!

Quote:
Man, you're a lot of trouble.

I went to the kitchen, got my special Illy espresso scoop that someone gave me for Christmas, had no idea how much it measured. Put in one level scoop, transferred to to a regular measuring spoon = 1 tablespoon. I use one heaping Illy scoop, which has a smaller diameter than a traditional measuring spoon, and no, I did not measure how much a heap is...

My petite Mr. Coffee holds exactly 2 1/2 cups, not coffee cups, standard English liquid measuring cups of water. The bacteria take up virtually no extra room and I like them, nice pets.

So the equation is 2 heaping tablespoons of Cafe Bustelo coffee grounds to 2 and 1/2 cups of water. That makes respectable every day morning coffee, on my planet, planet Ellie.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:43 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
And no freeze, no refrigeration. .
Agree!
Anyone ever buy Oren's Daily Roast coffee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink