Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 04:47 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,150,835 times

Advertisements

Did you see the article on wcnc about the Waffle House employee in South Carolina that shot a customer for complaining?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 06:30 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,553,108 times
Can you imagine complaining about your eggs being cooked medium versus over easy and in turn, your now eating lead? Wonder if the complaint was worth the effort?

Old 05-13-2009, 07:05 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Did you see the article on wcnc about the Waffle House employee in South Carolina that shot a customer for complaining?
To be fair, the employee should have demanded satisfaction and challenged the customer to a duel to the death. A cheap shot like that just isn't honorable.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:05 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,161,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I waited tables for 10 years and it always made me laugh when people were afraid to send their food back b/c they thought we would spit in it. the sweet customers who would admit that to me were the last people who would have to worry about such things.

Good rule of thumb: if you are polite and respectful to anyone who is helping you - server, customer service agent or otherwise, they will be polite and respectful to you. If you want to be a jerk, chances are you will be treated like one...

I'll have to agree with you. I've also waited tables on and off for several years and always try my best to be considerate. I also tend to tip extremely well because I know how it is.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:03 PM

413 posts, read 1,369,158 times
I asked a friend who waited tables and she said you don't want to know what some people do to other peoples' food. She said in one place she had a guy who looked at his steak did not cut into it or anything and told her it wasn't the way he wanted it. He wanted medium rare. She took it back and the chef told her to wait a bit and take it out to him again. She did the steak was still very warm and when she put the plate down in front of him, he said it was perfect. This was the same steak not a new one. She decided after this guy that working in a restaurant wasn't for her.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:43 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,964,589 times
Well, actually, yeah..they do. If it was an honest mistake by the cook, they'll mock the cook incessantly and do whatever they can to bring your food up to par before replacing it. Normally you don't have to worry about tampering.

The people we hate are the ones who can't have it well-done enough. Your steak goes in the fryer till it's dead. (which, incidentally, makes a delicious steak)

If you send it back two and three times and are rude about it, it might just fall on the floor. I've never been one to do that, but there is a lot of testosterone in the kitchen, and it happens.

Having worked kitchen, I never complain. If it's really bad, I'll send it back and ask for a refund.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:15 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,095,668 times
I would never send anything back more than once. If it is still wrong, I would ask to have it taken off the bill.

Also, I prefer them to take back only the item that needs fixed, not the whole plate. Usually they will just bring a new one and I'll give mine to someone else. Also, if they forgot an ingredient or topping, I'll ask for it on the side and add it myself.

I would say it's generally "safe" to send stuff back at most places, but I try to limit my exposure to the unthinkable

Old 06-24-2016, 10:20 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,040,328 times
I never send anything back. I know people in the industry that have told me what happens to food that gets sent back. No way.

If its to jacked up to eat I would simply have it taken off the bill and probably not go back. I would most likely just eat it and deal with it if at all possible.

I was eating with someone and they sent it back for being undercooked. I was thinking to myself that you kind of playing Russian roulette but it might pay off. When the steak came back nuked into orbit, he sent it back again. I was incredulous. I simply commented man you must have some set on you. He asked what I was talking about. I mention him sending his food back a second time and what they were likely to do it. He simply stated that no way would they do that to someones food, its a public restaurant and they have to follow health regulations. I just shrugged and said ok. His steak came back again, declared it to his satisfaction and he proceeded to eat it without the least bit of hesitation. It could have been my imagination but I though the waitresses smile was a little bigger when she left.

I have a close relative that cannot help but send their food back 2 or 3 times every single time they go out to eat at a full service place. The refuse to change this habit. They complain about side dishes, about the main dish, about too much salt, its too greasy etc etc. Its impossible to eat anywhere with them. Its extremely rare to even find a place they like. I really don't know what goes through some peoples minds.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:51 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike
I am wondering how many chefs out there get PO'd about your complaint on the food they just prepared for you. Think they do things to your new food order?
I hope not............ I have sent stuff back and I hope they wouldnt be mean enough to do that!!

Old 06-25-2016, 01:26 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,633,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
That ever happens to me, I damned well do not expect to get a check at the end of the meal. That meal needs to be free. Chances are also pretty good that I would be demanding to speak with a manager!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink