Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 11:12 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times

Advertisements

I lovead pretty much all the food they served at my schools. My Dad and I used to move around a lot and lived all over the place and whether it was "normal" schools or boarding school the food was usually great. Menus were given at the beginning of term to all the parents so that they could see it was healthy and decent stuff which I think is really important.

We had a lot of really nice stuff like soups and hearty stews, a green salad with vinaigrette at every meal, yoghurts, fruits and lots of fresh vegetables. The only dish I remember hating was eggs in a white sauce with overcooked spinach which was revolting. I still had to eat it though as we had teachers patrolling the cafeteria handing out detention to the picky eaters.

At Christmas and other festivities they used to make a real effort and we used to have some really lovely cakes and more indulgent things . Once a week ( on Fridays I think) we had more unhealthy stuff like Pizza or Burgers with Fries or maybe lasagna , something like that. Everything was made from scratch and it used to amaze me they could produce decent stuff in such vast quantities.

I actually remember my school days food with great fondness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 01:32 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Most hated the meals they served..

I LOVED THEM!!!!!!!!

Heres the meals i loved in the 70s,80s when in school

Pizza,Hamburgers (Oh my,the best),Fish Sticks (Dont like too much fish but i liked those)

I always got a salad with my lunch and sometimes some fruit and MAN WAS IT GOOD!!!!!

Im glad im not in school anymore,the way they have changed food so much over the years,EVERYTHING PROBABLY TASTES LIKE CRAP NOW!!!!!!!

I cant tell you HOW DESPERATE I AM FOR SOME HAMBURGERS FROM MY SCHOOL DAYS!!! (If i had a time machine,i would goto 1985 and enjoy!!)

Then i would goto the middle school i went to years later and get TONS OF CABBAGE SALAD!!!!!

Oh my.............. THE MEMORIES ARE TOO MUCH

I wouldn't know. If I HAD lunch money, there was always some group sellig candy, which I bought instead of school lunch.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Pnut butter and jelly sandwhich. Mac and cheese. Maybe some fried bologna on white bread. Whatever Mom put on the table in front of us after we hoofed it home for lunch.

Whatever it was I wolfed it down so I could spend 10 minutes in my room playing Beatles 45s.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:25 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
I remember the pepperoni pizza, it was cut in squares and had diced pepperoni on it. It was really good and I haven't had any more like it since.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:54 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
My school has rectangle Pizza (I think it was FRENCH BREAD but im not sure)

It was quite good..... Often i would order "Doubles"

Old 09-16-2010, 05:09 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,276 times
My favorites:

Chicken strips
Potato bar
Salad bar
Vegetable sticks
Hoagies
Pizza

Old 09-17-2010, 03:36 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88
A few kids couldn't even afford that, were fed anyway.
Ahhhhhh that was nice they fed them

I wonder if they would do that nowadays!

Old 09-17-2010, 07:23 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
One of my kids went to a private school where they had a lunchroom with drinks and things but everyone packed. But, they permitted take out deliveries. It was hilarious. At lunch time everyday, there were gourmet deli's, pizza, etc. delivering to the lunchroom. My kid felt underprivileged because he had a sack and no pizza delivery.

And, I still get teased about packing salsa in a plastic bag for his tortilla chips.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:16 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,488,704 times
The most memorable was gumbo and grilled cheese sandwiches. We would dip the sandwich in the gumbo and eat it. As a kid it was good, but as I look back on it

Old 09-17-2010, 06:08 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,576,507 times
My mom thought I was going to starve to death as a kid because I wouldn't eat the school cafeteria food. It was so gross.

In retrospect, I do not think it was fair treatment to make the kids who brought their lunch (like me) sit apart from the others. The rule was if you brought your lunch, you had to sit at a different table at the other end of the cafeteria. I do not think that sort of thing would fly nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink