Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 10:52 AM

1,116 posts, read 2,964,589 times

Advertisements

We've gotten to the point where I make rice/quinoa/oatmeal regularly enough that having a dedicated rice maker makes sense.

I want an automatic rice cooker with a timer and warming function. I'm in love with the Zojirushi brand, but I'm not in love with the $200 price tag. This is the recommendation that all of my asian friends give me, but I'm hoping there is something out there that does just as good of a job, for a more reasonable price.

My biggest pet peev is mushy rice. One of my friends has a Hello Kitty ricemaker, and it ALWAYS turns rice to mush. I love my glutinous rice, congee/chok, basmati, and just plain jasmine rice. I'm a rice FIEND. So good quality rice is a must. I'm just tired of watching the pot on the stove like a hawk while the rest of the meal is cooking.

Any suggestions? Anyone have a brand or model that they really love?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 11:00 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,902,939 times
Just curious why you would need a timer and a warmer? I've always cooked on a Hitachi or National brand without a timer/warmer and it consistently cooks in about 15-20 minutes. What you need to understand with uncooked rice is that as the rice "ages" in the bag or other container you transfer it to, you need more water to cook it properly and you need to adjust that amount accordingly. Water also needs to get absorbed into the rice even when the switch goes off. Serving just cooked rice, i.e. right after the switch pops off, is not advisable as the rice is ALWAYS mushy. You can always press the switch on again to warm it up some. I suggest one without a glass cover and without a steam release. One is likely to drop that cover and it is unnecessary to watch rice cook. It's either done or not done. Do not stir the rice in the rice cooker while it's cooking. It "tricks" the rice cooker in a bad way where it can't tell effectively how much moisture is left for it to continue to cook. HTH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink