Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite type of cheese?
Mozzarella 6 5.83%
Pepper Jack 4 3.88%
Colby 4 3.88%
Medium Cheddar 9 8.74%
Fontina 0 0%
Provolone 2 1.94%
Habanero Jack 1 0.97%
Muenster 2 1.94%
Monterey Jack 1 0.97%
Swiss 7 6.80%
Farmer 0 0%
Gouda 7 6.80%
Havarti 5 4.85%
Feta 5 4.85%
Asiago 1 0.97%
Other 28 27.18%
Blue 4 3.88%
Gorgonzola 4 3.88%
Roquefort 1 0.97%
Cottage 1 0.97%
Goat 1 0.97%
Romano 0 0%
Parmesan 3 2.91%
Ricotta 0 0%
Bergenost 0 0%
Curds 1 0.97%
Brie 4 3.88%
Camembert 2 1.94%
Diamond Marble 0 0%
Provel 0 0%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 08:10 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times

Advertisements

No, but we drove thru Wisconsin this summer, and stopped and had some delicious cheese. Cheddar, and we also got some freshly made beef stick, which may sound gross, but it was fresh, and delicious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 08:17 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Having grown up with red wax-covered gouda, I was never a fan. Then I met Gouda Robusto.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:19 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I am one of those people who really enjoys cheese, and I am always trying out new varieties. Some of my favorites include sharp and tangy blue-veined cheeses, buttery Muenster, butterscotch and caramel flavored old aged Gouda, nutty Emmantaler and other "Swiss" cheeses, sharp cheddar, Gruyere, fresh milky mozzarella, and so on.

The problem with the finer cheeses - the best tasting ones in my opinion - is that they can be quite pricey. I cannot afford to buy a $28.99 a pound cheese, even if I get only a half a pound or even a third.

There are some really interesting ones at local stores like Trader Joe's and I am also a member of BJ's Club. St Trader Joe's I discovered something called Toscano, a "creamy parmesan" with flakes of black pepper on the rind. It has a nutty and briny (somewhat salty) taste but rather good. Not expensive, like $9.99 a pound. At BJ's I found something called Cave Aged Comte, which is an imported French Gruyere type cheese ... even better.

What are some of your favorites? Made any great cheese discoveries?

Inquiring minds want to know!
I have yet to taste a cheese I didn't like!
Swiss cheese would be my least favorite.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:26 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Is there any American brand that is world famous?
I don't know if it is world-famous, but it should be:

Humboldt Fog

Then there is Sweet Grass Dairy's Green Hill cheese (http://www.sweetgrassdairy.com/cheeses/cow-cheeses/green-hill/ - broken link). It got the seal of approval from my foodie son and his Parisian girlfriend. I love Green Hill, I think it even won an award, but it is Sweet Grass' fresh chevre that I like the best of all.

Like the other cheeseheads here I love fresh mozzarella (bufala if I can afford it) especially with homegrown tomatoes/basil and a drizzle of high quality olive oil.

Other faves:

Tetilla from northern Spain (yes it is shaped like a breast)

Cantal from the Auvergne region, central France

Old 08-18-2011, 10:37 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
I think there are plenty of good American cheeses. I usually buy American, not only because of the price, but I think the quality of many are very good. It's just really about the taste. I love most any kind of cheddar. About the only kind I don't really care for is the sliced "American" cheese. I will eat it on a burger or a grilled cheese, but I would definitely prefer cheddar, gouda, or really anything else.

Speaking of grilled cheese sandwiches, there is a great little restaurant near my son's university that is strictly a grilled cheese place. They get so creative with their sandwiches, using all kinds of cheeses. I love that place.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:06 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Default My trip to Wisconsin

America really does produce some very fine cheeses, but these are usually not the ones available at the refrigerated section of your local supermarket, more than likely in the place where they have the "gourmet" cheeses.

I good friend of mine is an attorney in Rockford, IL. I visited him about 2 years ago and we got up early one morning and drove to Wisc. In Janesville we went to a kind of supermarket that had an astonishing array of different cheeses ... two aisles of nothing but cheeses, more than 10 X the amount my local supermarket would carry. The highlight of my day was spent in Madison, where we toured the University of Wisconsin. There was the School of Agriculture, which had it's own dairy store, where I bought several varieties of cheese. They were great!

Old 08-18-2011, 12:37 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Trader Joe's is a great place for cheese, sadly the closest one to me is 6 hours away. They have a Morbier that is nice, Goat Brie is yummy, Manchango is great too, pick up some of their sea salt and rosemary marcona almonds to pair with it. Cow Girl Creamery makes some amazing cheeses and I love Rogue River Smokey Blue if you can find it.
cheese and bread are my main reasons for going to TG, but i haven't seen the smokey blue before. it sounds delicious.

i like to get brie and gorgonzola there. when at the regular grocery stores i settle for cabot extra-sharp white cheddar

Old 08-18-2011, 12:44 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
America really does produce some very fine cheeses, but these are usually not the ones available at the refrigerated section of your local supermarket, more than likely in the place where they have the "gourmet" cheeses.

I good friend of mine is an attorney in Rockford, IL. I visited him about 2 years ago and we got up early one morning and drove to Wisc. In Janesville we went to a kind of supermarket that had an astonishing array of different cheeses ... two aisles of nothing but cheeses, more than 10 X the amount my local supermarket would carry. The highlight of my day was spent in Madison, where we toured the University of Wisconsin. There was the School of Agriculture, which had it's own dairy store, where I bought several varieties of cheese. They were great!
Thanks for you kind words about our cheeses. I was puzzled by the person who wanted to know if there any famous cheeses made in America. Really??? There are cheesemakers in Green County WI that have won many international awards. Maybe I just take good cheese for granted from living in Wisconsin all my life, (B.S. in Dairy Science from UW-Madison) maybe I shouldn't be surprised not everybody knows about our cheese.
Clark...what you REALLY missed at Babcock Dairy Hall at the UW was the ice cream. Now THAT has GOT to be World Famous!!

Old 08-18-2011, 01:48 PM

61,730 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Thanks for you kind words about our cheeses. I was puzzled by the person who wanted to know if there any famous cheeses made in America. Really???
No need to be puzzled. I am not a native and most well known cheeses come from Europe. I don't remember seeing any American Cheese over there, so I was curious and asked.
With all respect American cheese is processed cheese, and I don't think that anyone would appreciate it over there.

Last edited by elnina; 08-18-2011 at 01:57 PM..

Old 08-18-2011, 02:51 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
"American cheese" is a different animal (not sure WHAT it is) than "Cheese made in America".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink