Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite type of cheese?
Mozzarella 6 5.83%
Pepper Jack 4 3.88%
Colby 4 3.88%
Medium Cheddar 9 8.74%
Fontina 0 0%
Provolone 2 1.94%
Habanero Jack 1 0.97%
Muenster 2 1.94%
Monterey Jack 1 0.97%
Swiss 7 6.80%
Farmer 0 0%
Gouda 7 6.80%
Havarti 5 4.85%
Feta 5 4.85%
Asiago 1 0.97%
Other 28 27.18%
Blue 4 3.88%
Gorgonzola 4 3.88%
Roquefort 1 0.97%
Cottage 1 0.97%
Goat 1 0.97%
Romano 0 0%
Parmesan 3 2.91%
Ricotta 0 0%
Bergenost 0 0%
Curds 1 0.97%
Brie 4 3.88%
Camembert 2 1.94%
Diamond Marble 0 0%
Provel 0 0%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 07:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times

Advertisements

LOVE cheese!

Favorite: dill havarti
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 07:25 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
CHEESE QUESTION!!!!

Has anyone had or tasted hoop cheese? It's usually found in the southern US. I know it's like a mild cheddar but I want to know if it has a distinct flavor profile. Can you distinguish it from other supermarket cheddars?
I've never tried it.

According to this article - Hoop Cheese | The Southern Table hoop cheese was never widely available.

It also says that it is not the most flavorful cheese in the world, but then also says the following.

Excerpt:
Now, on to taste.

The thing that makes hoop cheese stand out among all the other cheeses in your dairy case, it it’s ability to impart a distinct creaminess to cheese based dishes, while keeping it’s flavor profile limited. I like to use it in combination with a sharp cheddar to offset the bite, and keep my dishes from becoming blocky or sticky. Not to mention, because it has a neutral flavor, it’s WONDERFUL when paired with fruits.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:28 PM

382 posts, read 721,970 times
I love cheese --- but it's easy to get carried away! My favorite, maybe more because I have it only in the Czech lands, is called "tvaruzky", and it's a bit like a Limberger (yes, the stinky cheese of old cartoons)! When it's fresh, it's pungent but tasty, and not surprisingly, as a Czech product, it goes well with beer. As cheeses go it's also low in fat.

But any good Brie, goat cheese, Gouda, cheddar, Stilton, or Humboldt Fog will do...

If any cheese lovers haven't been to France, by the way, do yourselves a favor and book a flight. Unbelievable selection!

Old 01-25-2014, 07:34 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Philadelphia Cream Cheese ®

Just kidding!

I'm a real cheese lover and have tried hundreds from around the world.

There are many favorites, but I like the caramel-y and butterscotch-y flavors of a really old aged Gouda, such as "Rembrandt" or "1000 Days."

Old 01-25-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Josef the Chewable View Post
I love cheese --- but it's easy to get carried away! My favorite, maybe more because I have it only in the Czech lands, is called "tvaruzky", and it's a bit like a Limberger (yes, the stinky cheese of old cartoons)! When it's fresh, it's pungent but tasty, and not surprisingly, as a Czech product, it goes well with beer. As cheeses go it's also low in fat.

But any good Brie, goat cheese, Gouda, cheddar, Stilton, or Humboldt Fog will do...

If any cheese lovers haven't been to France, by the way, do yourselves a favor and book a flight. Unbelievable selection!
Good stinky or bad stinky? I just had to ask.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:48 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
I love all kinds of cheese... had an excellent Stilton at a party two weeks ago, Other people were avoiding it because of the warning on the descriptive card that said "stinky cheese." Ah, well... all the more for me!

And they also had a lovely Wensleydale cheese with figs. Sooooo good. And again, it was avoided by the timid eaters in the crowd, so I had a feast!

But mostly I'm here to speak up for Parmigiano Reggiano, the original and genuine "Parmesan" cheese from Italy. Besides being one of the most flavorful cheeses...just a small amount adds a big umami boost to almost anything, and can transform an OK Italian dish to a superb one... it is also a very clean, very healthy cheese, made under intense supervision and rigorous quality control from only cow's milk, rennet and water, and the cows are are carefully overseen, eating a very clean diet, etc. In the rigorous aging process that develops its intense flavor more than half is rejected as unworthy of the name, and is sold as a generic topping cheese. The rest is blessed by angels or something, because it is so remarkable.

Buy it in chunks and grate it as needed. And never, ever, ever buy that bland white powder in a green tube and think it is anything at all like the real Parmigiana Reggiano. It's not. :rolleyes"

Old 01-25-2014, 07:49 PM

382 posts, read 721,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Good stinky or bad stinky? I just had to ask.
Actually, potentially both, depending on how "ripe" it is, and your tolerance for stinky cheese. Even at its freshest, not everyone will like it (in Czech supermarkets it's usually kept under a glass lid in the cheese section). And when it's been sitting around for a while it can be pretty gross, to be honest.

Olomoucké syre

Old 01-25-2014, 07:51 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
I've always been a huge fan of Swiss. *NOT* baby swiss, I don't like its texture, just good old Swiss.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-25-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Josef the Chewable View Post
Actually, potentially both, depending on how "ripe" it is, and your tolerance for stinky cheese. Even at its freshest, not everyone will like it (in Czech supermarkets it's usually kept under a glass lid in the cheese section). And when it's been sitting around for a while it can be pretty gross, to be honest.

Olomoucké syre
Well, there's always the old clothespin on the nose trick.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:58 PM

836 posts, read 1,662,455 times
If it isn't Velveeta©, it ain't cheez
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink