Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 03:32 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,651,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Is that the Blanc from Last Restaurant Standing?
Yes . Raymond Blanc is one of the best chefs in the UK and his restaurant ( and country house hotel ) is amazing. You might need a mortgage for a meal there but it is so, so, so good. We have been a few times ( we were lucky on 3 occasions as they were celebrating an anniversary of the Hotel and we got their lunch menu for about $30 each) including for my 40th Birthday . Sublime food , impeccable service ( silver service without being fussy or obsequious which I hate) and fantastic surroundings.

Raymond used to live near our house and he is actually quite a character too.

The most impressive thing was actually the Canapes. I have never tasted so many different flavours in such tiny bites. Little morsels of heaven. You could detect every single ingredient individually . And his roasted Red Pepper Mousse is about the only dish that could turn me vegetarian...

I am drooling just thinking about it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 05:47 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,068,283 times
Quod opened in Brighton a few years ago - but didn't last - such a shame as it was lovely, with its own gallery next door. I was working on a local magazine at the time and I reviewed it for family-friendliness, for which it scored very highly!

They have done so well in Oxford (believe Gee's and Old Parsonage are part of the same group too?...), wonder what happened in Brighton, guess they couldn't make it pay???

Some of the best non-chains IMHO in Brighton are:

Terre a terre (vegetarian)
Pomegranate (Kurdish)
Bardsleys (fish and chips)
Riddle and Finns (Champagne & Oyster bar/seafood bar)
Due South (sister restaurant to R&F's, modern British, fab views; looks straight out to sea)

Old 02-16-2010, 05:53 AM

461 posts, read 798,476 times
If only there were 5 top restaurants in my city...

Old 02-16-2010, 10:50 AM

273 posts, read 701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entyss View Post
Oh don’t be so pessimistic ,
Don’t you eat anywhere in your town that has decent food and a fun atmosphere?

Old 02-16-2010, 11:26 AM

738 posts, read 2,959,764 times
Washington DC Metro (Top 5 that I've tried so far, still working my way down a long list):

CityZen (Chef Eric Ziebold)
Citronelle (Chef Michel Richard)
1789 Restaurant
Oya Restaurant and Lounge
Central Michel Richard

These are the best ones I've had so far in DC. There are several "top-rated" ones that have been so-so to me, but these ones all delivered a nice culinary evening.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:57 PM

16,806 posts, read 40,000,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entyss View Post
If I can find 5 in this gritty working class city, I would think you could in yours. After all, you did say city, not town.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:22 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,651,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Quod opened in Brighton a few years ago - but didn't last - such a shame as it was lovely, with its own gallery next door. I was working on a local magazine at the time and I reviewed it for family-friendliness, for which it scored very highly!

They have done so well in Oxford (believe Gee's and Old Parsonage are part of the same group too?...), wonder what happened in Brighton, guess they couldn't make it pay???

Some of the best non-chains IMHO in Brighton are:

Terre a terre (vegetarian)
Pomegranate (Kurdish)
Bardsleys (fish and chips)
Riddle and Finns (Champagne & Oyster bar/seafood bar)
Due South (sister restaurant to R&F's, modern British, fab views; looks straight out to sea)

I didn't even realise Jeremy Mogford had tried to open another Quod's. It's really quite a good restaurant though now a little on the pricey side for the food. The prices went up quite steeply in the last 2 or 3 years.

Thanks for the recommendations, It's always good to find out places to eat out in Brighton.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:12 PM

273 posts, read 701,290 times
I’m really surprised nobody else has posted more here

Old 02-24-2010, 05:13 PM

50,416 posts, read 64,161,814 times
OK, I'll play. Seville, OH
Country Kitchen (at the truck stops)
American Heritage
Acorn
East of Chicago Pizza
Subway

PS There aren't 5 that are not chains.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:27 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,630,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
How can you choose 5 from San Antonio?? No way!! I haven't been to all of them and never will!! I could see asking top five national top fast food or chain restaurants in your area. Local places would have no meaning to someone elsewhere.....

I agree with you SATX56.........we have too many local favorites in San Antonio and I myself have not been to all of them. With a city of 1.5 million plus people we also have many of the popular chain and fast food places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink