Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like Thick or Thin crust pizza?
Thin. 47 53.41%
Thick. 25 28.41%
Either one is okay with me. 16 18.18%
I don't eat pizza. 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:27 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,835,829 times

Advertisements

Not too thin, not too thick, with cheese that sticks to the roof of my mouth...Old Forge style Pizza!
Although I like a good round NY style pizza sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 09:31 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,835,829 times
Seeing people mention places like Pizza Hut and Domino's in a favorite pizza thread makes me glad I live in the northeast....I never eat chain pizza, its garbage compared to mom and pop pizza places. But I realize that in most parts of the country, there's some pretty lousy pizza.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:48 AM

867 posts, read 2,141,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Not too thin, not too thick, with cheese that sticks to the roof of my mouth...Old Forge style Pizza!
Although I like a good round NY style pizza sometimes.
I haven't had this style in a long long time delish tho

Old 06-24-2010, 11:58 PM

23,239 posts, read 29,090,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I recently started making my own. I usually prefer thinner crusts, but today I am going to experiment with making a thicker one. On my thin crust pizzas I usually like tomato sauce (I make myself) mozzarella, mushrooms, pepper, onion and pepperoni.

For my thick crust tonight I am going to put more tomato sauce, mozzarella, parmesan and pre-cooked and seasoned ground beef. Can't wait to see and taste how it comes out!
The hazards of making your own pizza, is you'll spoil yourself, and since I'm not near Chicago, nothing else will do.

I went on a mission some years ago to make my own pizza, come hell or high water, and I finally succeeded after a couple disasters, but it never deterred me for a minute.

I love thin crust, and the secret is to get that dough spread out as thin as possible with an oiled round drinking glass, and then, do not put the toppings on the unbaked pizza dough. Bake the pizza dough first until it's crisp, then add the toppings, then put it back in the oven.

Before mine goes into the oven, it's about 4 inches high with ingredients and a pound or more of mozzarella. I just wish I could get ahold of some of that melt-in-your-mouth mozzarella they use in Chicago.

Being that it's so time-consuming, the last time I made pizza I made an extra large pizza, froze it, and, sadly, as you know, frozen nuked pizza just doesn't cut it!

Old 06-25-2010, 12:06 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,227,689 times
Thin, but not wafer thin. Although anything is better than deep dish pizza...so gross. It's just way too much bread. I used to nanny for a woman and she would get deep dish pizza for the child and I was allowed to it with him for dinner. I never once did.

I make my own and get the dough for Trader Joes. It's great dough if you don't want to make it from scratch. My perfect pizza is thin, reg sauce, moz cheese, olives and mushrooms. I do love pepperoni pizzas too.

Last edited by CantWait2Leave; 06-25-2010 at 12:15 AM..

Old 06-25-2010, 02:43 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,537,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I despise thin crust. I'm Italian and I love bread, so I love dough, so I need a nice thick crust. It don't surprise me that thin won though, people have no class

While Italian history does somewhat promote thin crust, it is thick crust that dominates Italy. So our Americanized version is thinner.
The original Pizza from hundreds of years ago you would all probably dislike. It was just a rolled bread baked over stone with tomatoes crushed over it. My grandma is 85 and still makes it this way. Yuuuuuummmm!!!!!!

Topping- Anything but Pineapple. Fruit has no place on pizza. Period. If it does have fruit, it's no longer pizza.
Also, I love sauteed garlic and olive oil and about half the sauce. Add in some Katamala Olives and a good grade of italian sausage with some crushed tomato and you have yourself one tasty pie!

I do not eat chain pizza either. Dis-gusting!

The Pizza Nazi has spoken
I've been all over Italy several times. I have never seen thick crust pizza or even medium for that matter. Pizzas are small, (like our individual sizes), don't ever have 'the works' on them and are served before the heavier part of the meal comes, such as when we eat salad here... If pizza has something on it in Italy, it's usually pepperoni. They are not heavy with the sauce and cheese either.....they are more of an hor'deuvre.

Your grandma sounds like a good cook.......what time's dinner?

Old 06-25-2010, 02:54 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,537,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Thin style crust for me please.

I dont know about anyone else but I'm tending towards the KISS formula for toppings. (Keep It Simple Stupid). I don't really go for the ***-milk cheese pizza with organically grown Mykonos Olives and Wagyu Beef strips marinated in Swedish rhubarb vinegar...ok, I made that up but sometimes I just long for a really simple but tasty pepperoni, cheese, 'shrooms, olives, onion and chicken topping. Of course you can get that, but a few menus in my neighborhood have been somewhat taken over by the gourmet brigade. Or maybe I'm just not sophistimucated enough no more.
I do not like anything at California Pizza Kitchen....I call them 'yuppie pizzas'....

I like a good, thick Chicago pizza, but it has to be good and not soggy....but one can not eat a lot of it because it is so filling.....

I like medium crust.....I do not like sausage or anchovies, but I like most other items, including jalapenos......

I think Hawaiian pizzas are fine, but I do not like it when they make them with the red sauce...

Old 06-25-2010, 03:00 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,891,013 times
Very thin. With pepperoni, sausage, and veggies (supreme).

Old 06-25-2010, 05:46 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,412,780 times
Stuffed crust or thin ~~ depends on where I order

Fav Toppings:
meat lovers
pepperoni
extra cheese
black olives
jalepeno's

UN-fav toppings:
shrooms
anchovies
green peppers

Old 06-25-2010, 06:43 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,169,646 times
Definitely thin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink