Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 08:46 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times

Advertisements

I love eating Callipo tuna from Italy. not only is the quality of the tuna high, but they just know how to pack it. Not even the high end stuff from the pacific nw compares. I've often wondered why an American company can't figure out how to pack tuna in high quality olive oil to such result. the tuna is so tasty I don't even use mayo. just some onion, roasted pepper, and lemon juice.
North Shore-based tuna giant Starkist faces an increasingly competitive industry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 12:21 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,533,449 times
I'll go out on a Limb here and guess $$$$$. The process by which the Tuna is processed and packaged with Olive Oil costs too much and for that North Shore Tuna Company, it's all about the money.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:33 PM

6,343 posts, read 11,092,664 times
I only eat Chicken of the Sea tuna. Sorry Charlie. :-)

Never new Starkist was a product of Pittsburgh. Usually buy that and sometimes Bumble Bee.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:33 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Starkist, Bumble Bee and Chicken of the Sea all make a higher (than their usual) quality tuna in olive oil product, often with allusions to Italy (saying things like Genova Tonno, etc.), but I doubt it matches up with the Italian stuff. I wouldn't know, just not a canned tuna eater generally. Maybe I should try the ones from Italy in case they change my mind.....

Old 02-19-2010, 12:41 PM

780 posts, read 1,385,198 times
Canned tuna is all the "scrap" tuna anyways. You can put lipstick on a turd, but in the end, it is still a turd! Give me some fresh bluefin, yellowfin, or bigeye and I'm a happy man.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:06 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Starkist, Bumble Bee and Chicken of the Sea all make a higher (than their usual) quality tuna in olive oil product, often with allusions to Italy (saying things like Genova Tonno, etc.), but I doubt it matches up with the Italian stuff. I wouldn't know, just not a canned tuna eater generally. Maybe I should try the ones from Italy in case they change my mind.....
it's actually quite good...doesn't taste anything like a turd. I bought my dad a couple of cans of callipo and got "best tuna I've ever had." doesn't even taste like the same fish. admittedly I do pay more for it, $3.75 can (5.5 oz). I had stopped eating most canned tuna and when I did, I'd load it up with mayo. now it's good right out of the can. i tried making tuna sauce a few years back with regular canned tuna and it tasted like crap (marcella hazan's cookbook). I made it with callipo and it was quite good. I just wonder why they can't replicate that here. I'm sure you're right, they use crap oo and the cheapest tuna here where they may have higher standards in Italy.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:25 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
A lot depends on whether they're caught upstream or downstream of the ALCOSAN plant...

Old 02-20-2010, 08:19 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Am I the only person who doesn't buy tuna in oil? I always buy the water packed version. The oil version just seems gross to me.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:30 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
On another note, I decided to research US territories because of the newspaper article references a territory in tsunami hit area.

I didn't realize that the US had so many territories in the Pacific Ocean!

Check out this map of US territories: File:US insular areas.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-20-2010, 01:36 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Am I the only person who doesn't buy tuna in oil? I always buy the water packed version. The oil version just seems gross to me.
I always bought water-packed back when I did, but then I always had to do something rather significant to the tuna to eat it. Basically I came to the realization that I didn't care for it. The difference being described about this versus the Italian one packed in olive oil, though, makes me curious to try a can of that just to see if it might change my mind a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink