Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 06:03 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Thanks for the correction bulldog
Hey no snarkiness intended. Just wanted to clarify the difference and the fact that givin the right circumstances.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 12:07 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Hey no snarkiness intended. Just wanted to clarify the difference and the fact that givin the right circumstances.....
Not to worry, I didn't take it that way, I'm still fuming over this raw meat...shaking head...sigh....

Old 04-14-2010, 07:36 PM

604 posts, read 750,880 times
Quote:
I hear raw meat and just think mad cow disease, you'd have to be a freakin canibal to enjoy bloody meat, disgusting

The USA has the tightest and strictest food restrictions, 200 people die in the UK every year from madcow disease, deaths in the US: 0.

We may have the least healthy food, but its the safest.

I like Medium Rare, chewy, but not moo-ing

Old 04-14-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
The USA has the tightest and strictest food restrictions, 200 people die in the UK every year from madcow disease, deaths in the US: 0.

Well..you made me laugh, so your okay in my book.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:44 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
You know all this well done stuff because of ecoli...I remember eating hamburger meat RAW when i was a kid....if my mother was making meatballs I loved to take a pinch or two of it RAW..raw meat, raw eggs
and never got sick
Love a real juicy cheeseburger..you ask for it rare now same as steak and the waiter looks at you like you're nuts
Jlawrence kind of hit on this, but the issue of rare ground beef is due to the ground aspect of it.

All fresh meat is sterile on the inside. Bacteria makes contact on the outside of the meat, and works it's way in. So if you have a fresh cut of meat, and you eat it raw from the center, no (almost) worries. I used to do this all the time during my time as a butcher at one of America's largest chain steakhouses. YUM!

But when you ground beef, then all that surface area with the bacteria gets turned into the middle. Effectively, what you are doing is creating nearly 100% surface area for the meat, and there is no sterile places left. Any bacteria can spread almost immediately, thus increasing the risk for e-coli and other badness.

So the people that say "grind it yourself" are pretty much right, but even still, you have to know what you're talking about. Grind FRESH meat, and cook it almost immediately if you want your burgers rare and safe.

Some folks feel like if a restaurant grinds their own burgers (eg: Fuddruckers) it's safe, because of the reasons stated above. The problem is that these types of restaurants serve many many people, and they are not grinding burgers to order. The burger you eat might have been ground yesterday, or even the day before, so just make sure you know what you're eating when you go out.

For me, I like my steaks mid-rare most of the time, but can go a temp up or down and be happy. Burgers I generally like with 'no pink', but will make some acceptions depending on mood, risk tollerance, and knowledge of how it is prepared.

BTW: All of this has absolutely nothing (NOTHING! to do with how clean a restaurant is. It is all related to food handling practice, and the understanding of the spread and growth of bacteria and other living organisms.

Sorry if I ruined it for anyone, but I do believe that understanding will help you to make good decisions.

Last night I cooked burgers at home with grilled ham, swiss cheese, fresh avacado, tomato, red onion, and romaine. Washed down with a cold beer. Beef was fresh, but store ground, so I cooked it through. Still, YUM!!!

Old 04-15-2010, 05:53 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times
Where on earth did you get that from ??

I think you need to read a little more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post

Old 04-15-2010, 07:06 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,143,707 times
I usually eat out for lunch more then for dinner.

Wish the Outback was open for lunchtime!!

Old 04-15-2010, 07:22 AM

I read, 200 cases total since it began in the 90's, most were in the UK.

More people could have 'mad cow disease' than previously thought | Society | guardian.co.uk

Last edited by virgode; 04-15-2010 at 07:34 AM..

Old 04-15-2010, 07:50 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times
That's a little more like it !!

It's still a pretty rare disease, Uk food hygiene has really been tightened up, for a while, you couldn't even buy Scottish haggis because of the cuts of the animal it uses.

Quote:
I read, 200 cases total since it began in the 90's, most were in the UK.

More people could have 'mad cow disease' than previously thought | Society | guardian.co.uk

Old 04-15-2010, 08:49 AM

604 posts, read 750,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Where on earth did you get that from ??

I think you need to read a little more
Scientists fear second wave of human BSE may kill up to 350 | UK news | guardian.co.uk

Thats UK...

Searching for USA, can't find ANYTHING....if you can, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink