Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:03 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times

Advertisements

Darn and I thought it was PORK a la Washington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 11:47 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xube View Post
alot of bison no europeans no cancer and no small pox no measles no malaria no flu no mumps no plague.....take away bison add europeans and 12 million natives died in the worst halocaust in the history of the planet...aho
Someone needs to brush up on their history of the planet.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:52 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Some came from the east and some came from the west. Both had different ideas on foods. Darwin said the fit won. He did, I didn't. Evidence says he was right. It would be interesting to know the average age of life expectancy before the Europeans arrived and after.....today. Buffalo meat with natural medicine VS corn fed beef and modern medicine.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:12 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,911 times
Tagged a 2000 lb bull up in N.D., a few years ago; and we enjoyed that for over a year.
Great stuff.
Safeway and Sunshine mkt's here in NM carry it. Next time I go to Abq., I will grab a couple steaks, roast and some ground.
HW

Old 05-03-2010, 01:29 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Tagged a 2000 lb bull up in N.D., a few years ago; and we enjoyed that for over a year.
Great stuff.
Safeway and Sunshine mkt's here in NM carry it. Next time I go to Abq., I will grab a couple steaks, roast and some ground.
HW
Go ahead rub it in. I love buffalo. I could take my 300 weatherby to Golden Gate park and get me one! Yeah maybe not. No cancer puuhhlease. Cancer is gene mutation don't need a virus for that. When you have an isolated group of individuals for many generations natural selection is going to clean up the weakones.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:32 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xube View Post
Buffalo has long been shown to be the healthiest red meat available to consumers. The consumer must beware though since many times buffalo are moved from free range to confinement areas where they are fed corn and other feed products, including hormones, to add 200 to 300 lbs.

Free range buffalo are much more healthy and their meat is more expensive but worth it, both in taste and quality.

Ask before you buy if the buffalo has been confined prior to slaughter.

There was no cancer in the America until the Europeans arrived...diets of native plants and animals made a much healthier people...aho

back in the 1980's my grandad got this idea. he was going to buy some buffalo out in Colorado, and bring them back to South Carolina, breed them with cows, and make some Beefalo.

so he and my uncles drove out there, picked up some Buffalo, and brought them back. When they let the Buffalo out of the trailer, into the pasture, he takes off running, over a hill, out of sight.

a few seconds later, the buffalo comes charging back over the hill at full speed, and rams head-first into an aluminum barn. he pierces through the metal, half in the office, half in the pasture. (I believe he bled to death, stuck on the pierced metal.)

A few of the buffalo didn't commit suicide, and were successfully bred with bovines. Unfortunately, their offspring proved to be sterile, so the project was a failure. This did result in a few years where our freezer was stocked full of frozen buffalo and beefalo.

Thus went the story of the Beefalo.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:42 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
That cross is sterile. You have to keep one buffalo bull with some good beef cows. No problems then. Just replace the buffalo bull when he is to old to work and the cows the same. All off spring are used for meat production.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:49 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
back in the 1980's my grandad got this idea. he was going to buy some buffalo out in Colorado, and bring them back to South Carolina, breed them with cows, and make some Beefalo.

so he and my uncles drove out there, picked up some Buffalo, and brought them back. When they let the Buffalo out of the trailer, into the pasture, he takes off running, over a hill, out of sight.

a few seconds later, the buffalo comes charging back over the hill at full speed, and rams head-first into an aluminum barn. he pierces through the metal, half in the office, half in the pasture. (I believe he bled to death, stuck on the pierced metal.)

A few of the buffalo didn't commit suicide, and were successfully bred with bovines. Unfortunately, their offspring proved to be sterile, so the project was a failure. This did result in a few years where our freezer was stocked full of frozen buffalo and beefalo.

Thus went the story of the Beefalo.
What a bunch of Beefalo. Great story!

Old 05-04-2010, 02:58 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Great stuff.
HW
Years ago a friend's father brought back bison from an Alaska hunting trip. It was very bloody, iron-y meat, but it had been frozen. Would it have benefited from aging before freezing? It was certainly hearty beef, but it just didn't seem fully developed.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:13 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
I have found Buffalo to have much less taste than beef and generally less intermuscular marbling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink