Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:44 AM

178 posts, read 267,934 times

Advertisements

Although the probe was a cool car. look what it what it could have been
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 09:47 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,002,224 times
I owned a 91 Probe GL which was a great car. Traded it in on a 97 Probe which was a lemon. That 97 ate transmissions every 10K miles. Also had other various problems. I traded it in by 41K miles since I did not want to have to start paying for it's tranmssion problems out of pocket once the warranty expired.

Loved the styling, and thought ride and handling were good too. Both could have used more power. Wish I had kept my 91, and never bought that 97!

Old 09-10-2012, 10:32 AM

31,015 posts, read 22,056,089 times
Had 2 of the second gen Probes, bought one new and one used, 1 4 cyl and 1 6 cyl GT. They are an acceptable butt haulers and the GT is a little sporty but nothing special.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:04 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,201,880 times
I always liked the design of them. They looked much faster than they were however. Ford should have built them on a mustang chassis and offered a strong v8 option.They were sporty looking but pretty much a girls car is what I think

Old 09-10-2012, 12:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
I always liked the design of them. They looked much faster than they were however. Ford should have built them on a mustang chassis and offered a strong v8 option.They were sporty looking but pretty much a girls car is what I think
Eh... no. I'm sorry but the Mazda G platform, particularly the GE platform that underpinned the 2nd-gen Probe, was far superior to the Fox body for overall driving dynamics. If a buyer wanted straight-line grunt, they could always get a V8 Mustang. For anyonewho wanted a car that didn't twist and creak and bend like a wet noodle when you turned the steering wheel, the MX-6/Probe was the far better option.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:47 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,572,797 times
I owned a 1993 Ford Probe GT about 12yrs ago. At the time I was only 20yrs old and thought it was the best car ever! Haha.. It was a v6 w/ a 5-speed manual tranny. Everything was great until things started going wrong. Parts were VERY expensive. Aside from the body, everything else was Mazda parts. Engine, tranny, etc.....

Old 09-10-2012, 01:31 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,201,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Eh... no. I'm sorry but the Mazda G platform, particularly the GE platform that underpinned the 2nd-gen Probe, was far superior to the Fox body for overall driving dynamics. If a buyer wanted straight-line grunt, they could always get a V8 Mustang. For anyonewho wanted a car that didn't twist and creak and bend like a wet noodle when you turned the steering wheel, the MX-6/Probe was the far better option.
Sorry I thought probes were front wheel drive.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:32 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Sorry I thought probes were front wheel drive.
They are, but they had excellent driving dynamics and balance. The Mustangs of the same era did not.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:00 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,265,076 times
A buddy of mine in HS had a 2nd Gen GT with a manual tranny. I drove it once and was impressed by the handling and accelleration.

I was not impressed with the interior quality. After he had it for a couple of years I went for a ride with him. I got in the car and pulled the armrest to shut the door and the door panel came off in my hand.

I think his was a '93.

'95 and newer GT's had different wheels and tail lights and a few other things that improved the looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I owned a 1993 Ford Probe GT about 12yrs ago. At the time I was only 20yrs old and thought it was the best car ever! Haha.. It was a v6 w/ a 5-speed manual tranny. Everything was great until things started going wrong. Parts were VERY expensive. Aside from the body, everything else was Mazda parts. Engine, tranny, etc.....
Yeah I remember that one too. He had a rear brake caliper go south and had to have it replaced. Well actually it was the parking brake....but the parking brake and driving brakes were integrated into the same unit and he had to replace the whole thing. It was very expensive for what it was...I'm thinking it was $300 or something crazy.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:10 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,002,224 times
Parts were definately costly! I could only find two sources for a distributor cap for my 97. Ford, who wanted $150, and United Imports (a parts importer locally) who carried it for $85. Yes, it was just a plan distributor cap, no electronics or anything in it! (The rotor wasn't even included!).

My 91 needed a new ignition coil and starter module, both of which cost hundreds of dollars. The equivalent parts for a GM vehicle of that vintage would have been about $50.

They were definately pricey to repair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln