Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 08:38 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times

Advertisements

I'm going to worry myself over this until I finally have the money saved up to buy the perfect Mustang for me, but I was wondering on something.

I love the S-197 generation (you guys have heard me say this before), and would love to find one of those with low miles at a decent price. But, I have a question, what if I found, say an '05 Mustang GT, that was going to need major work or replacement on the engine, for cheap? How much would it cost to:

A) Buy a replacement 4.6 V8 engine for it
B) Swap the engine for the 5.0 Coyote
c) Rebuild the engine (would that even be a good idea?)

Would I also need to rebuild/swap the transmission as well, or would that just depend on the health of the existing transmission?

Not a mechanic, but I have friends who could probably help with this project should I choose this route. I'm just wondering a realistic cost of how much this would set me back. Seems like I had looked up the cost of a brand new Coyote engine off of American Muscle's website and it was ridiculously expensive. I didn't know if there were more reasonable means of keeping the cost down for such a project or, if in the end, I would wind up spending more than if I had just saved up to buy a newer GT.

Just wondering. Either way, I'm not making a purchase until I have the money to buy it in full - but, like those who are big fans of the earlier model with the Cobras and Mach1, my favorite tends to be the earlier S-197s, and I have a feeling by the time I have the money to make a purchase, it's going to be very difficult finding one in great shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 08:50 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Do you actually want a project? Or a driver?

Vast majority of projects I've worked on or have been privy to exceed the cost of simply buying a car that's already been done. Unless you do 100% of the work yourself, and have some of the parts kicking around and gathering dust, you will easily spend more on the project vs if you found one already done.

I also get the impression you'd rather have a driver, than enjoy wrenching on the car. At the end of the day, I think you'd be better off just spending the money on a nice, driver car that you don't have to do any work on. Cost would be about the same in the long run, and odds are it will be more reliable, and you get to enjoy it vs wondering what exhaust will fit your 5.0 swapped S197.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Do you actually want a project? Or a driver?

Vast majority of projects I've worked on or have been privy to exceed the cost of simply buying a car that's already been done. Unless you do 100% of the work yourself, and have some of the parts kicking around and gathering dust, you will easily spend more on the project vs if you found one already done.

I also get the impression you'd rather have a driver, than enjoy wrenching on the car. At the end of the day, I think you'd be better off just spending the money on a nice, driver car that you don't have to do any work on. Cost would be about the same in the long run, and odds are it will be more reliable, and you get to enjoy it vs wondering what exhaust will fit your 5.0 swapped S197.
Very true! I think that's what I needed to hear. And you're right, I want a driver. Unless I had a way to get a replacement engine on the cheap and had a guy who would do the work for next to nothing, then I kind of figured it would become pricey.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:46 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Unless you have a specific goal for a project, like specifically wanting a Coyote swapped '05 with other specific modifications, don't do a project. It's cheaper to buy a nice example. This goes for any kind of car. My BMWs, for example, could have been had for dirt cheap if I wanted to fix a lot of things, but there's nothing more expensive then a dirt cheap BMW (Or Mercedes or Jaguar), and the costs involved would be more to fix it back to the condition I bought mine in than it was to just buy a nice one already done. EVEN if the nice one is over KBB (which mine was).

This goes double for anyone who can't DIY their car or has no knowledge of how to proceed with a more major project.

Now if you have the knowledge, and you want that specific goal and know that it's going to cost more than a nice stock example, then go for it.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Unless you have a specific goal for a project, like specifically wanting a Coyote swapped '05 with other specific modifications, don't do a project. It's cheaper to buy a nice example. This goes for any kind of car. My BMWs, for example, could have been had for dirt cheap if I wanted to fix a lot of things, but there's nothing more expensive then a dirt cheap BMW (Or Mercedes or Jaguar), and the costs involved would be more to fix it back to the condition I bought mine in than it was to just buy a nice one already done. EVEN if the nice one is over KBB (which mine was).

This goes double for anyone who can't DIY their car or has no knowledge of how to proceed with a more major project.

Now if you have the knowledge, and you want that specific goal and know that it's going to cost more than a nice stock example, then go for it.
Yeah, outside of your normal maintenance, I don't believe I have the knowledge to overhaul and engine. Even if I did, I don't have the location to do it easily, so I'd have to rely on someone who had the facilities that could make the process go smoother.

Honestly, I would love to have an '05-'08 GT with the 5.0 in it. I know I could just go and get an '11-'14 in that gen, but I suppose it's kind of sentimental that I'm attached to the earlier version of that generation Mustang, since I had one. Complete it with the updated tech on the inside, and I'd be a happy guy. But then, reality sinks in and I realize in terms of cost it doesn't make sense unless I'm solely thinking in terms of wanting that exact body style and look and no other would matter.

Wow, kind of sounds like a song about an old flame, lol!

Old 03-03-2017, 06:50 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
What do you ultimately want? A coyote 5.0 and manual trans?

The '15+ is great, but when you are cruising around town, is the difference between an 11-14 and 15+ that much of a difference really? I take it you don't have any open tracking, or drag racing plans for the car.

The electronics are great and all, but really if you are into driving, all you need is the stick shift, and windows down to listen to the exhaust. Don't get me wrong, I love the touch screen stuff with my '14 Taurus, but I'm also dealing with an intermittent issue with the heated/cooled seats not working at all. Every time I make an appointment at Ford, they start working again. Frustrating.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:55 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Yeah, outside of your normal maintenance, I don't believe I have the knowledge to overhaul and engine. Even if I did, I don't have the location to do it easily, so I'd have to rely on someone who had the facilities that could make the process go smoother.

Honestly, I would love to have an '05-'08 GT with the 5.0 in it. I know I could just go and get an '11-'14 in that gen, but I suppose it's kind of sentimental that I'm attached to the earlier version of that generation Mustang, since I had one. Complete it with the updated tech on the inside, and I'd be a happy guy. But then, reality sinks in and I realize in terms of cost it doesn't make sense unless I'm solely thinking in terms of wanting that exact body style and look and no other would matter.

Wow, kind of sounds like a song about an old flame, lol!

I understand the wanting the look of that gen Mustang, as I had an '06 GT that I loved:

There are a lot of things you can do with one without swapping an engine, as I did with mine. Simple bolt-ons will make it more fun (the shaker scoop was a bit more than a bolt-on, with the cutting of the hood, but everything else was simple). I also added a double DIN head unit with Bluetooth for added tech. The 4.6 is a good engine, and if you want, there are bolt on supercharger kits to make it much more powerful, that don't take the level of skill necessary for an engine swap.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:19 AM

8 posts, read 9,529 times
Skins, I have an 07 GTCS that I casually tried to sell last year. People that were interested struck out at the bank. Guess they don't want to loan the money for a now 10 yr old car. Of course it looks like a 1 year old car with 20k miles but guess it didn't matter.

Wish I could post a picture but being a new member, guess it won't let me yet. I don't see a paperclip to attach.

It's still stock but quick enough for me. If I were to keep it, I would stay with N/A, perhaps delete plates, intake and tune. I suppose a supercharger would put you into Coyote territory though.

It's a 5 spd manual coupe in Redfire. Still gets comments on the looks. I have it in storage now as it has been every winter here in Wisconsin. It's definitely been babied.

Shoot me a pm if you're interested. Maybe I could send some pictures to you. Otherwise, good luck in your search!

Old 03-03-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
What do you ultimately want? A coyote 5.0 and manual trans?

The '15+ is great, but when you are cruising around town, is the difference between an 11-14 and 15+ that much of a difference really? I take it you don't have any open tracking, or drag racing plans for the car.

The electronics are great and all, but really if you are into driving, all you need is the stick shift, and windows down to listen to the exhaust. Don't get me wrong, I love the touch screen stuff with my '14 Taurus, but I'm also dealing with an intermittent issue with the heated/cooled seats not working at all. Every time I make an appointment at Ford, they start working again. Frustrating.

Nah, I'm not going to be doing any track stuff. I think my biggest thing is, I still love the earlier years of the S-197 generation - a bit more than the years with the 5.0 in it. I actually like the interior better as well. I'm not turned off by the 4.6L at all though. The engine swap is just kind of a passing thought. Maybe the thoughts of finding one of the years where the car doesn't have a lot of miles and hasn't been abused. The updated tech stuff is really just to have stuff like Bluetooth handsfree (which I really use a lot in my current car), USB, and so forth. I know you have that in the '11's and up, but again, it's just something about having another one ('06) like I used to have.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
I understand the wanting the look of that gen Mustang, as I had an '06 GT that I loved:

There are a lot of things you can do with one without swapping an engine, as I did with mine. Simple bolt-ons will make it more fun (the shaker scoop was a bit more than a bolt-on, with the cutting of the hood, but everything else was simple). I also added a double DIN head unit with Bluetooth for added tech. The 4.6 is a good engine, and if you want, there are bolt on supercharger kits to make it much more powerful, that don't take the level of skill necessary for an engine swap.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I think I've seen these pictures before - that's a nice looking machine! Yeah, the engine swap was just merely a passing thought. I guess the idea was, if I got a Mustang that was going to need the engine rebuilt or swapped out, would be best to get another 4.6 or upgrade it tot he 5.0. But again, the Mustang would pretty much be a daily driver - not so much a project car. Honestly, if I was going to do a project Mustang, it would be a late 60's model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln