Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2020, 03:12 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times

Advertisements

Ford disclosed the “old” map update in fine print. Not in same size print to warn that you agree to buy an outdated map where streets that were added for over a year are not shown.

Unless you want an old map then go ahead and otherwise don’t waste your money like I did.

What a waste and I’m very disappointed with Ford.

Buyer be ware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 07:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I suppose it's true that you get what you pay for. My recent email from Ford offering the Sync 3 map updates is $109 for a file download, $149 for a USB to be shipped. Not worth it to me yet, with not that many road changes in areas that I may go to. I'll wait until I plan a long road trip.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:46 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,518,435 times
I passed on that option when I ordered my Super Duty as I have
all of the mappy stuff on my phone, I'll admit I miss having a C/D
player but there again I can get tunes from my phone.

Old 07-24-2020, 10:59 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,928,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Ford disclosed the “old” map update in fine print. Not in same size print to warn that you agree to buy an outdated map where streets that were added for over a year are not shown.

Unless you want an old map then go ahead and otherwise don’t waste your money like I did.

What a waste and I’m very disappointed with Ford.

Buyer be ware.
This is not just a Ford issue, this is the same thing at every automaker. Maps are not updated real-time and there is a delay with the stock in-car systems. When you get a 2021 car you don't have maps that are completely up to date from the day you bought the car, the map is probably a year or two old to begin with.

If someone doesn't like this, get a car with Android Auto or AppleCarPlay and use the Google Maps on your phone to display on your screen.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:24 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Do a bit of research. A year after I bought my 2011 Charger someone figured out how to transfer Garmin quarterly updates to it using a Garmin Nuvi. I updated my maps 3 or 4 times a year for 7 years for just the one time cost of the Nuvi with lifetime maps. Not sure what system Ford uses though.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:16 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I suppose it's true that you get what you pay for. My recent email from Ford offering the Sync 3 map updates is $109 for a file download, $149 for a USB to be shipped. Not worth it to me yet, with not that many road changes in areas that I may go to. I'll wait until I plan a long road trip.
Potentially a bigger issue for a real estate agent, however. Depending on the area it's likely they deal with new developments and new houses fairly regularly which. But yes, that's nothing new. As long as you have cellular data Google Maps tends to be far superior to any navigation system that comes with a car for ease of use, updates, life traffic, rerouting to avoid traffic. "Okay Google, navigate to 123 Main Street Anytown" is tough to beat for ease of use. Doesn't work for some people with accents but even if you need to enter it on a phone that's generally a lot easier than the terrible UI that car navigation systems have.

I used to keep an old Garmin in my car because I do drive up to areas where there's no cellular connectivity or just a backup if my phone dies and no USB cable, lose the phone, whatever. Someone broke into my car years ago, prior to 2014 as it was the old car, and I've never bothered to replace it. Now you can just use Google Maps offline by downloading maps for an area or I've used Sygic. It's not expensive, haven't used it a lot to tell how up to date the maps are though.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:13 AM

1,489 posts, read 790,661 times
Apple Maps seems to always be up to date.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:26 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
I got a letter from Ford about updating my Sync 3 Maps, 2017 Ford Explorer. As I read it, it would be $149 if they sent me a USB Drive or $109 if I did it over the Internet. I rarely use the map feature, so I will not update it.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:55 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I don't even use the Nav on my Ford. I might if Waze network is down from time to time. I find WAZE is quicker and like the real-world updates it has. It's connected through my setup so I get directions over the speakers.

I have Sync 2, which uses SD cards for Maps. Even though I don't actually use the GPS often, I like to keep it updated. I hop on Ebay, and buy a used SD card from someone who updated their maps to the latest version by paying ford $149. It's like a game of hopscotch. I buy last years SD for $40, and then sell my old one for $30. Yes, i'm a year or two behind, but all the roads I drive on 99.9% of the time are established and are not new. I don't use POI info when I drive with nav.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln