Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 01:02 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,809,042 times

Advertisements

I assume the neighbor was not paying taxes so who is going to get paid after this auction - lender or county?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 01:30 PM

351 posts, read 321,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I assume the neighbor was not paying taxes so who is going to get paid after this auction - lender or county?
The Judicial Order shows that the Loan Company paid both taxes and insurance after owner stopped his mortgage payment; they are shown as line items as part of what is due the lender (principal, interest, taxes, insurance, lawyer fees, property inspection fee, property appraisal, lawyer fees, stuff like that).

Old 11-13-2014, 08:35 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Consider

[quote=franniejacks;37255146]They are out of state and would incur costs to fly down/QUOTE]

Telephonic communication.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:49 AM

351 posts, read 321,186 times
Thanks all. I decided to send the Zillow listing to my friends who are house-hunting and let them sort it out themselves. I'm not comfortable approaching neighbor, do not want to embarrass him. My guess is he will try to save the house via bankruptcy or renegotiation of loan as it gets down to the wire. My friends can follow the auction schedule to see if it falls by the wayside. In checking the past few days, it appears about 50% of the auctions are cancelled, many in the last day or two.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:27 PM

210 posts, read 319,380 times
It's quite possible your neighbor is planning to file bankruptcy, and then reaffirm to keep the house. I'm not sure how the system works there in Florida, but it would be a way to keep the home.

Something else regarding short sales are the tax burdens after doing so. I believe it is called the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Tax Act and was not extended into 2014. Overall, if the home is underwater but sells via short sale, your neighbor could still be responsible for all the tax on that sale. In addition, that lender can choose to allow a short sale, but can still go after the homeowner (your neighbor) for up to seven/nine (?) years after the sale to recover the shorted amount of money. This can also mean garnishment of wages, and according to our real estate agent, is happening much more frequently than it used to. In a situation like that, bankruptcy would offer your neighbor that protection. I think it's called a short sale deficiency judgement.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:35 PM

680 posts, read 1,921,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelklos View Post
In addition, that lender can choose to allow a short sale, but can still go after the homeowner (your neighbor) for up to seven/nine (?) years after the sale to recover the shorted amount of money. This can also mean garnishment of wages, and according to our real estate agent, is happening much more frequently than it used to. In a situation like that, bankruptcy would offer your neighbor that protection. I think it's called a short sale deficiency judgement.
As of July 1, 2013, I believe they only have ONE year to come after the deficiency.
Florida Deficiency Judgments – New Law As of July 1, 2013 | LoanSafe.org

Old 12-02-2014, 09:58 AM

210 posts, read 319,380 times
^^^^That's a lot better than 7-9 years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs