Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 03:36 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,266 times

Advertisements

If a bank sells a home for a loss, it has to be recorded on its books. If a bank holds the home and doesn't sell it, it doesn't count as a loss.

In other words. Home bought for joe_blow for 500K. Home goes into foreclosure. Home appraises for 350K. Bank holds home on books at 500K... so bank won't be liquidated when it is under funded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 05:30 AM

945 posts, read 1,987,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Here in Charlotte, there's this very nice home (great neighborhood/schools) and the owner has dropped it all the way down to 450K (which is what he paid for it in 2002) and the houses in that area are listed for 600K-1Million, and still no takers on that house.

That's because as I have been saying for quite some time now, IT'S NOT PRICE! There just isn't anyone really seriously buying right now and chances are, when the occassional one does come along(transfering, sold their existing home so can now move up, and any other reasons that one NORMALLY moves in the NORMAL RE market), if they can afford 600k-1mil, they'll buy it and shop in that price range for what they want. Somehow everyone is under the impression that if all housing takes a "dive to affordable prices" for all, their will be this frenzy of buyers. It simply makes NO sence. Prices of ALL ranges have existed in the RE market since the inception of it and it's concept of home buying. Am I the only one who seems to understand the many, many factors that make all RE markets different and prices as well? Do I really need to list them again? I feel sorry for the poor ******* who lowered his price at the promise he'd sell for sure! Lowering to all of these drastic levels would mean that ALL houses in our inventory, as we know it, would become short sales/foreclosures/and bank owned. Why would anyone go to such measures if they didn't have to?

Old 01-30-2009, 06:43 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue View Post
Am I the only one who seems to understand the many, many factors that make all RE markets different and prices as well?
Absolutely! You are the only one who understands the many, many factors that make all Real Estate markets different and prices as well.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:11 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue View Post
That's because as I have been saying for quite some time now, IT'S NOT PRICE! There just isn't anyone really seriously buying right now and chances are, when the occassional one does come along(transfering, sold their existing home so can now move up, and any other reasons that one NORMALLY moves in the NORMAL RE market), if they can afford 600k-1mil, they'll buy it and shop in that price range for what they want. Somehow everyone is under the impression that if all housing takes a "dive to affordable prices" for all, their will be this frenzy of buyers. It simply makes NO sence. Prices of ALL ranges have existed in the RE market since the inception of it and it's concept of home buying. Am I the only one who seems to understand the many, many factors that make all RE markets different and prices as well? Do I really need to list them again? I feel sorry for the poor ******* who lowered his price at the promise he'd sell for sure! Lowering to all of these drastic levels would mean that ALL houses in our inventory, as we know it, would become short sales/foreclosures/and bank owned. Why would anyone go to such measures if they didn't have to?

2009 Real Estate Outlook : Real Estate Market Channel

What explains the gargantuan 81% increase in sales in Prince William County? It all comes down to price!

I didn't say it. Some Realtor said it.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:20 AM

443 posts, read 2,135,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Depends on where you are. I see you are in CA so I would agree with you.

We are moving to San Diego area soon and are going to buy a home. We are looking at forclosures online. Most I can tell from pix is the carpet/flooring is trashed and it's hard to tell otherwise.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
We are moving to San Diego area soon and are going to buy a home. We are looking at forclosures online. Most I can tell from pix is the carpet/flooring is trashed and it's hard to tell otherwise.
California may be a whole different ballgame in itself. Many "entitled" people who lost their homes took it out on the home itself before they left.
If they couldn't have it then neither should anyone else.

I've seen plenty of pictures of trashed homes most of which were in California.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:22 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Absolutely! You are the only one who understands the many, many factors that make all Real Estate markets different and prices as well.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:10 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
If a bank sells a home for a loss, it has to be recorded on its books. If a bank holds the home and doesn't sell it, it doesn't count as a loss.

In other words. Home bought for joe_blow for 500K. Home goes into foreclosure. Home appraises for 350K. Bank holds home on books at 500K... so bank won't be liquidated when it is under funded.
The potential implications for FDIC are enormous.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:57 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The potential implications for FDIC are enormous.
Not for FDIC as they don't cover mortgages.
It's to keep the bank's balance sheets looking good.

If they had to mark-to-market then most of them would be closed already.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:52 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Depends on where you are. I see you are in CA so I would agree with you.
Because the ENTIRE state of 45 million people is all one market?

If the OP is asking about the Palm Springs area, he should check with a local professional about what's happening in his area. Palm Springs is a lot different than Stockton, the foreclosure capital of the US at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs