Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 11:34 PM

146 posts, read 884,154 times

Advertisements

We put an offer in on an REO tonight. The termite report said there is about $2800 in repairs to be done, including fumigation. The listing says it is "as-is". Our agent said it wouldn't hurt to ask them to repair the items in the termite report since the rest of our offer was very clean.
Have you agents ever seen a bank approve an offer on an "as-is" property when buyers asked them to do something like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 06:38 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcaamyg View Post
We put an offer in on an REO tonight. The termite report said there is about $2800 in repairs to be done, including fumigation. The listing says it is "as-is". Our agent said it wouldn't hurt to ask them to repair the items in the termite report since the rest of our offer was very clean.
Have you agents ever seen a bank approve an offer on an "as-is" property when buyers asked them to do something like that?
Yes, I have seen a bank approve termite treatment on the sale of a property listed "as-is". In the same transaction, they refused to do anything about the damage already done by those termites. (Actually, in this case, it was carpenter bees, but the effect is similar.)
I agree with your agent; it does not, in any way I can think of, hurt to ask the bank to deal with the termite remediation. Especially if problems like that are traditionally dealth with by the sellers in your market area, as they are here in Somerset county NJ.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:05 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Freddie Mac did repairs for my VA client, but I prenegotiated those repairs with the initial offer. They were obvious deal breakers for VA. They did them.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:59 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
As said, doesn't hurt to ask, banks have covered some repairs especially if required for certain loans like mentioned for VA, but not likely. Usually the banks will specifically state in their addendum that termite repairs and treatment will not be done.

Curious, you did a termite inspection before making an offer? Usually that is done after acceptance in the inspection period. Or was this a report provided by someone else?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:26 AM

No, we didn't do an inspection prior to the offer. It was provided by the seller.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:28 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
The offspring is in the process of buying via FHA loan - the bank (actually "mortgage service firm") initially said "as is" but ended up doing about $1,500 worth of termite, roof repair and "hazardous electrical" repair (all switch covers and outlets removed with dangling, uncapped wires). My son would have preferred to do the work himself after the sale, but it was an FHA condition that it be done prior to sale.

The house was supposed to close 2 weeks before the holidays, but the one person at the selling firm that could authorize paying for the repairs was off on a 3 week vacation and did not leave the file with anyone else. So hopefully it'll close this week. Note that the person who authorized the repairs and the person who could authorize paying for the repairs was not the same person.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:42 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
No, we didn't do an inspection prior to the offer. It was provided by the seller.
The seller gave you an inspection report showing the termite situation before you made the offer and now you want them to take care of business, after you made your offer? Do I have this right?

Old 01-04-2010, 12:53 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
That sort of changes things. I was assuming that you did it as we do here in NJ; you made the offer, it was accepted pending insprections, you got the inspection report showing termites and termite damage. Since you had the information about the termites and the damage they caused in advance of your offer, I would expect that you asked theem to take care of it as part of the offer you made. Is that right? I still see no harm in that, as they are free to say no, but if they told you about it and told you they weren't going to deal with it, I wouldn't be expecting a yes from them.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:40 PM

Yes, that is correct. In our area, the seller usually provides a termite report for review before you make an offer. It is not a huge amount of damage. $1500 of that $2800 is for tenting the house for fumigation. It might not be a deal breaker for us if they say no, but we just decided to ask. We are a conventional loan, not FHA. However, I thought I had read somewhere that FHA loans require termite repairs to be done prior to funding the loan - is that correct?

Old 01-06-2010, 10:11 PM

Just an update. They did agree to give us a credit for the termite repair costs. We are now under contract! Thanks everyone for all of your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs