Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 06:04 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,932,831 times

Advertisements

How bad was your credit affected, and is there anything I need to know before we proceed with paperwork?

Background: live in FL, lost my job (was making $50k), our income has been cut in half obviously. Working in Real Estate Development down here in FL and got a possible job offer out of state. We cant rent it out because it would rent for $1200/mo. and our mortgage and all other expenses would be close to $2000/mo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 06:46 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
I have read that your credit score may be reduced by an average of 300 points. I think the big variable is that many who are in this situation also have substantial unsecured debt, too.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:39 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,995,719 times
Is 300 that for the short sale itself MAM, or does it encompass the missed payments and all also?

Old 01-26-2010, 01:09 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Is 300 that for the short sale itself MAM, or does it encompass the missed payments and all also?
I really don't know, Brandon. I think those who embrace a short sale, may be more likely to be delinquent, on other debt, too. It also matters how many loans are outstanding on the property.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:44 PM

I've read 100-150 pts for a shortsale, but also read it could be less if you pay all your other bills on time.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:29 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,899,840 times
If you need a good agent in your area, pm me. You have experienced a genuine hardship. Depending on the bank of course, due to your location, that it's your primary residence and hardship you have a very good chance of having a successful short sale. Especially now. Who's the bank?

Old 01-27-2010, 07:49 AM

Hi Palmcoasting. We have been in contact with a realtor who can help us and we meet them soon to discuss. Thanks for the offer though, I appreciate it. The bank is Citi Mortgage. We have tried for 6 months to get a modification, that way, when I take the job offer in NC, we can leave and keep the house and rent it out. Right now, we'd be about $800 in the hole every month due to the difference in our mortgage and what we could rent it for. We cant afford to do that. So with my job offer in another state, not being able to find work here, and our house depreciating by about $200k, we thought short sale is best option.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:03 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,772,227 times
It might be helping if you offer to take a judgment so the bank can see your willing to do something from your side, which can help to close the short sale sooner and ask in return if they have you do the short sale without consequences for your credit score...

I did a short sale as a buyer and the seller was a real estate lawyer specialized in foreclosures (kind of ironic) and she took a judgment of $ 25K to get out a.s.a.p. and not to delay things or get foreclosed on...that amount together with my offer was a more reasonable price and the bank took it. so a win win situation.

Unfortunatly not many people want to deal with a judgment and rather walk away while not realizing that their credit score can be damaged so much that they end up paying so much more for other things, that a judgment can be better for them...+ tey will be able to get back on their feet faster that way.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:29 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,488,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
How bad was your credit affected, and is there anything I need to know before we proceed with paperwork?

Background: live in FL, lost my job (was making $50k), our income has been cut in half obviously. Working in Real Estate Development down here in FL and got a possible job offer out of state. We cant rent it out because it would rent for $1200/mo. and our mortgage and all other expenses would be close to $2000/mo.
Definitely other things to know.

For example

1. Is your debt original debt that you took out to buy the house, or did you refi later? If you did a refi, did you take cash out? If you took cash out, what did you spend it on?

If you used it to live on, or pay for kids college, or anything not directly related to the property itself, that debt can be taxed if written off. In other words, if the bank approves a short sale, and forgives the debt above and beyond the sale amount, the IRS can come back and say that you have to pay income taxes on the amount written off.

2. Do you have PMI (private mortgage insurance) on the property (eg. did you put less than 20% down on the house when you bought/refi'd it? if so, you very possibly pay PMI). If you do, the PMI company also has to approve the short sale, in addition to your bank. It is becoming more common for them to reject sales, so you may not be able to sell for what both the lender and PMI company will agree to.

These are just the first two examples that come to mind. You need an agent who is both intelligent, experienced at Real Estate, AND experienced at short sales in order to have the best chance to sell successfully.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Definitely other things to know.

For example

1. Is your debt original debt that you took out to buy the house, or did you refi later? If you did a refi, did you take cash out? If you took cash out, what did you spend it on?

If you used it to live on, or pay for kids college, or anything not directly related to the property itself, that debt can be taxed if written off. In other words, if the bank approves a short sale, and forgives the debt above and beyond the sale amount, the IRS can come back and say that you have to pay income taxes on the amount written off.

2. Do you have PMI (private mortgage insurance) on the property (eg. did you put less than 20% down on the house when you bought/refi'd it? if so, you very possibly pay PMI). If you do, the PMI company also has to approve the short sale, in addition to your bank. It is becoming more common for them to reject sales, so you may not be able to sell for what both the lender and PMI company will agree to.

These are just the first two examples that come to mind. You need an agent who is both intelligent, experienced at Real Estate, AND experienced at short sales in order to have the best chance to sell successfully.

Hi, we have a great realtor certified in short sales. And the answer to both questions is No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs